Feelings on the Hawk

the People's Champ

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
I've heard most of the other teams announcers and yes, some of them aren't very good.  Others are very good.  I think Milwaukee has a rather good pair.  Now, the difference between Hawk and the other bad announcers is the others are just forgettable, not irritating.

good point

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
1) He doesn't say it every game...you're exaggerating

2) Manual has been mentioned very few times this year...Hawk isn't out to insult Jerry

3) Curses are for the Northside of town....Hawk does nothing to change the ball flight mid air.  It's either gonna go out or its not....I don't give a s*** what Hawk says.

1)of course i'm exaggerating to get my point across, but it's really not far off. lately, it's been like 5 times a week.

2)he doesn't mention manuel directly, that's the point that he's being a wuss. he refers to manuel's regime as "the people that were here before" ozzie. and he is out to rip on manuel.

3)watch and you'll see

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
1)of course i'm exaggerating to get my point across, but it's really not far off.  lately, it's been like 5 times a week.

2)he doesn't mention manuel directly, that's the point that he's being a wuss.  he refers to manuel's regime as "the people that were here before" ozzie.  and he is out to rip on manuel.

3)watch and you'll see

Wow, you killed him in that argument! :huh:

2)he doesn't mention manuel directly, that's the point that he's being a wuss.  he refers to manuel's regime as "the people that were here before" ozzie.  and he is out to rip on manuel.

He didn't like Manuel and came out and said so right after the 2002 season, he said Manuel didn't do a good managerial job that year.

It serves no purpose for Harrelson to call out Manuel by name at this point, it'd be unprofessional.

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
1)of course i'm exaggerating to get my point across, but it's really not far off.  lately, it's been like 5 times a week.

3)watch and you'll see

I love Hawk but I agree his Manuel bashing is excessive and pointless. If you aren't going to bash him when he's here don't do it over a year after he left. Jerry Manuel was and probably still is a classy man. He did his job like he thought should be done. The bottom line is if his pitchers pitched like they have this season he still would be managing the Sox. His approach worked great in 2000. Many of the great things Hawk says about Ozzie he was saying about Jerry in 2000. He needs to move on.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 06:48 AM)
I love Hawk but I agree his Manuel bashing is excessive and pointless. If you aren't going to bash him when he's here don't do it over a year after he left. Jerry Manuel was and probably still is a classy man. He did his job like he thought should be done. The bottom line is if his pitchers pitched like they have this season he still would be managing the Sox. His approach worked great in 2000. Many of the great things Hawk says about Ozzie he was saying about Jerry in 2000. He needs to move on.

yep, right on the money. finally someone sees what i'm talkin about. i guess a lot of ppl round here like old men, i dunno.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 06:23 AM)
He didn't like Manuel and came out and said so right after the 2002 season, he said Manuel didn't do a good managerial job that year.

It serves no purpose for Harrelson to call out Manuel by name at this point, it'd be unprofessional.

true, so why keep doing it? does he really have to keep referring to manuel? just say ozzie's doing a good job and leave it at that.

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
man, you guys either don't watch the games, have him muted, or like old men, i dunno which one it is.

Is your thumb broken? Are you not up-to-date on technology? There are two things you can do: mute him or don't watch. If you have such a problem with Hawk, don't listen.

Hawk Harrelson will be in the Hall of Fame as an announcer someday. His style is memorable, down home, and fun. He enjoys the White Sox and he enjoys the game of baseball. If he were announcing for a higher profile team, he could be on the same level as Jack Buck, Harry Caray, Ernie Harwell, Phil Rizzuto, etc. He is knowledgable of the present game and of the history of the game.

So, he's repetitive. If I talked to you everyday, or anyone on this board, I bet I could find things that you say that are annoying and repetitive.

As Yas said, he is THE voice of the White Sox and I couldn't see it any other way. Unless they brought Piersall back. :ph34r: :lol:

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
Is your thumb broken?  Are you not up-to-date on technology?  There are two things you can do:  mute him or don't watch.  If you have such a problem with Hawk, don't listen.

Hawk Harrelson will be in the Hall of Fame as an announcer someday.  His style is memorable, down home, and fun.  He enjoys the White Sox and he enjoys the game of baseball.  If he were announcing for a higher profile team, he could be on the same level as Jack Buck, Harry Caray, Ernie Harwell, Phil Rizzuto, etc.  He is knowledgable of the present game and of the history of the game. 

So, he's repetitive.  If I talked to you everyday, or anyone on this board, I bet I could find things that you say that are annoying and repetitive. 

As Yas said, he is THE voice of the White Sox and I couldn't see it any other way.  Unless they brought Piersall back. :ph34r:  :lol:

its not that i hate him to that point, just saying he's not great like everyone makes him seem. he's tolerable for the most part.

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
i used to like him, but his stupid repetitive hawkisms are getting annoying.  always talking about "everything is self-induced" and prolly the worst part is when there's a deep fly ball, he always does his "stretch, stretch" call and it RARELY is a homer, maybe 9 out of 10 times he says it, its just an out, it's like a curse, does anyone else notice this?  he also tends to be too much of a homer and thinks he knows everything cause he's been around for 43 years.  and whenever something good happens, he has to mention how ozzie was somehow involved.  and the list goes on and on.

also, does anyone notice how dj does a much better job of technical analysis w/a different partner on sat. games of the week than w/ hawk?  i think that says a lot about hawk.  personally, i'd like to see dj stay(brings some comic relief and solid analysis), hawk can go and bring in steve stone, someone w/ knowledgeable, unbiased analysis.

also, the "put it on the board" is getting kinda old.

wow, you are clueless. ive been listening to hawk announce since i was so young, and i cant imagine anyone else. if you were a flubs fan you probably would have slammed harry carry when he was announcing too, who was at least three times as incoherent as hawk is now. why dont you just mute your tv and turn on espn 1000 if you are so pissed at hawk? if you dont have anything nice to say, dont speak.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
wow, you are clueless. ive been listening to hawk announce since i was so young, and i cant imagine anyone else. if you were a flubs fan you probably would have slammed harry carry when he was announcing too, who was at least three times as incoherent as hawk is now. why dont you just mute your tv and turn on espn 1000 if you are so pissed at hawk? if you dont have anything nice to say, dont speak.

Here's one of the Hawkisms for YOU bighurt2719.........I love it when you analyze. :drink

Everyone bow down to Hawk :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)

lol, and what you said is very nice? usually when you say something, you wanna stick to it and not say something hypocritical.