The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
I meant I'm giving up on the Sox trading for someone. Not on the team's performance.

I know what you meant, it's funny though that you're giving up on a trade possibility for no reason.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
Sorry Fellas, I don't have the heart to make it past page 33.

Any updates since noonish?

23 pages of nothing, only at soxtalk

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)

Not really.

I only have 12 pages.

If you have a good connection, you should be like me and change to 75 posts per page. Makes reading threads like this much easier, you can just breeze through and look for the news.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
just because they don't want to overpay for a slightly better JC and have him for 2-3 months, doesn't mean they won't make a trade.

I'm hoping they make a better deal, for someone they actually need.

Not doubting you, but does anyone have the numbers for both pitchers?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
Guys marte wasn't even doing his job which was getting leftys out.  lefties hit over .300 against him.

Except it's a .278 BAA. It's that crazy middle ground where they're not hitting over .300 against Marte.

Color me silly for wanting Marte instead of Walker if Damaso is traded.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)

recap....levine made it sound close, later inthe day said they were very close on saturday to having a 72 hour window to negotiate. now he said the marlins are talkin with bosox. burnett said he wont sign with white sox, but will with red sox. white sox will be willing to take on lowell if money is right. other than that, the deal which some made sound imminent, probably will go down to the wire and will go to boston or white sox, or he could not even be dealt at all

If the Marlins want a starter, why don't they accept Jose Contreras from the Sox as the core of a deal? He's better than Bronson Arroyo right now, he's Cuban, and he could do very well for them down the stretch.

If they demand Marte as part of the deal, I could live with that too, though we would than have to try to find a lefty reliever.

KENNY, DON'T BLINK. Contreras + Marte is much more than Boston is going to offer, no matter how much Peter Gammons waxes on about Anibel Sanchez, who is only a AA pitcher.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
If the Marlins want a starter, why don't they accept Jose Contreras from the Sox as the core of a deal?  He's better than Bronson Arroyo right now, he's Cuban, and he could do very well for them down the stretch. 

If they demand Marte as part of the deal, I could live with that too, though we would than have to try to find a lefty reliever. 

KENNY, DON'T BLINK.  Contreras + Marte is much more than Boston is going to offer, no matter how much Peter Gammons waxes on about Anibel Sanchez, who is only a AA pitcher.

Because they don't want to give up Contreras. Contreras in that deal wouldn't only be a lateral move, but we would lose in that trade. We would be trading a RP, a Starter and a #1 prospect for a guy who is another Contreras? Hell f'n no. The whole reason this is going down is to get depth at SP.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
If the Marlins want a starter, why don't they accept Jose Contreras from the Sox as the core of a deal?  He's better than Bronson Arroyo right now, he's Cuban, and he could do very well for them down the stretch. 

KENNY, DON'T BLINK.  Contreras + Marte is much more than Boston is going to offer, no matter how much Peter Gammons waxes on about Anibel Sanchez, who is only a AA pitcher.

I don't want to include Jose Contreras in any deal for A.J. Burnett. Contreras has to be kept for depth, and is actually a very similar pitcher to Burnett.

I'm starting to think that Contreras plus Marte for Lowell and Burnett makes a lot of sense (especially if the Sox could find a way to get Mota or some decent minor leaguer as well).

The deal makes sense cause I think the Sox want to get rid of Contreras and feel Burnett is an upgrade. Basically put the Sox would lose Marte but at the same time they keep Bmac as a chip plus they still have their entire farm to find them another lefty.

Burnett is a guy with the ability to be an upper echelon pitcher and has once been an ace of a staff (pre-injury). His stuff alone is amazing and well if your gonna roll the die I won't complain, but if they give up both Contreras and Bmac, than I'll have my doubts.

ESPN insider

Fish hooked?

Jul 26 - According to South Florida Sun-Sentinel, a Marlins scout was in Syracuse, N.Y., over the weekend, where top White Sox pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy tossed six strong innings for Triple-A Charlotte.

McCarthy, 22, has been mentioned frequently as a key cog in a White Sox offer for A.J. Burnett. He is just 3-7 with a 5.17 ERA this year in the minors, but reports on the 6- foot-7 strikeout artist remain strong.

The top hitters on the Charlotte roster include outfielders Brian Anderson, the White Sox's top prospect, and Joe Borchard, a former No. 1 overall draft pick.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
ESPN insider

Fish hooked?

Jul 26 - According to South Florida Sun-Sentinel, a Marlins scout was in Syracuse, N.Y., over the weekend, where top White Sox pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy tossed six strong innings for Triple-A Charlotte.

McCarthy, 22, has been mentioned frequently as a key cog in a White Sox offer for A.J. Burnett. He is just 3-7 with a 5.17 ERA this year in the minors, but reports on the 6- foot-7 strikeout artist remain strong.

The top hitters on the Charlotte roster include outfielders Brian Anderson, the White Sox's top prospect, and Joe Borchard, a former No. 1 overall draft pick.

Maybe they want Borch! :)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
ESPN insider

Fish hooked?

Want him, Marlins? Do you guys happen to have any boxes of BP balls laying around? Oh, what's that? You do. Ok, he's yours.

...I still want Lowell--contract or not. :ph34r: