The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
Hot prospect who has been nothing short of Garbage at the major league level. He is not ready to contribute yet, and we still dont know if he ever will.  He hasnt proven anything and contributes nothing to the team at this point.  Marte is the worst arm out of the pen at this moment, and can be replaced by the starter who will be displaced with AJB.  AJB has more quality starts that JC and EL DUQUE and is showing improvement in his first full season back.  He has the power arm that is coveted in the post season and can dominate.  Lowell will spell relief for Crede as well as be an effective hitter against LH pitching, which we have lacked.

The Sox have the 4th best Avg. against lefties in MLB.

We're currently hitting .291 vs. left handed pitching. I would say that is our strong suit on offense, definatly not where we're lacking.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)

We're currently hitting .291 vs. left handed pitching. I would say that is our strong suit on offense, definatly not where we're lacking.

we may hit for a high average, but we don't score for some reason.

I agree with you though, however, I think Lowell would look good as a backup DH against lefties, bc i dont think frank will be back.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)

I agree with you though, however, I think Lowell would look good as a backup DH against lefties, bc i dont think frank will be back.

yeah i don't think Frank will return either. maybe this is why KW is going after Lowell?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)

We're 11th in baseball with 132 runs scored against lefties.

and

We're 7th in baseball with 33 HRs vs. lefties.

However we are 28th in baseball with only 1 triple vs. left handed pitching. ;)

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
yeah i don't think Frank will return either. maybe this is why KW is going after Lowell?

I think that would be the only reason... if Lowell could get his s*** back together over the course of the final 60+ games it could be steal-city.

My thoughts are Lowell (if forced to take hiM) and Burnett come here and spun directly to the Philles for Wagner and Thome. I think it is Burnett only then he is spun one for one for Wagner.

If Contrearas is not moved Burnett is not on this team.

The Phillies and Fish are not trading with one another nor in a three way.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
My thoughts are Lowell (if forced to take hiM) and Burnett come here and spun directly to the Philles for Wagner and Thome.  I think it is Burnett only then he is spun one for one for Wagner.

Isnt Wagner off the market now??? :huh

QUOTE(Tadahito15 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Isnt Wagner off the market now???  :huh

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
Wagner is off the block. The White Sox would only trade PK for Thome and that won't be happening, I guarentee. I see no deal, even with the Marlins happening.

That's been said but that's because the Phillies want to buy and not sell. If they have a chance at Burnett and Wagner has to be part of the deal they'd definitely think of it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)

Oh come on, I spend all that time on that post and you attack a sidenote????? I guess my mind was locked on paulie and his .182 against LHP.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
My thoughts are Lowell (if forced to take hiM) and Burnett come here and spun directly to the Philles for Wagner and Thome.  I think it is Burnett only then he is spun one for one for Wagner.

The Phillies will be lucky if Thome is able to play again this year, he has nagging injuries like the Big Hurt does. The Phils wouldn't trade for PK because they have Ryan Howard. I live in the Philly market and everyone is raving about him, so they have no need for PK, and Thome wouldn't fit on this team.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
That's been said but that's because the Phillies want to buy and not sell.  If they have a chance at Burnett and Wagner has to be part of the deal they'd definitely think of it.

I know it has been said before but if the Phillies are interested in it, this is the correct deal. Most seem to be lukewarm to the Burnett deal if Contreras is not included. (Contreras doesn't do it for me in the bullpen. It'll damage his psyche too much) If Contreras is not part of the deal and we get AJ and Lowell, I wouldn't mind taking on Thome's contract to make our bullpen rock solid through the postseason. Flipping them for Thome and Wagner is the right way to go.

But I'm a little nieve about Thome. Whats he looking like this year (other than smaller) and what does his contract look like?

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
The Phillies will be lucky if Thome is able to play again this year, he has nagging injuries like the Big Hurt does.  The Phils wouldn't trade for PK because they have Ryan Howard.  I live in the Philly market and everyone is raving about him, so they have no need for PK, and Thome wouldn't fit on this team.

If we really want to spin for Wags, even though I dont think its possibly, the Phils need a SP, extremely badly. JC or AJB would do it. BUt I would rather give them JC for obvious reasons.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
We have officially run out of things to say.

Seriously. Like 20 people are viewing and no one is saying anything. Lot's of refreshing in this thread.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
I think that would be the only reason...  if Lowell could get his s*** back together over the course of the final 60+ games it could be steal-city.

I said it before and I'll say it again: look at his batting average by month this year:

Mar/Apr: .198

May: .202

June: .250

July: .294

He's getting better, even if the power is still nowhere to be seen.

Having scoured the net for information here is what I have found:

The only media sites having ever suggested Contreras+BMac+Marte for just Burnett are Florida newspaper sites. So I would disregard that report.

Media sites pertaining to Boston, Chicago, Oakland, LA, SEA, & SF have 3 options:

BMac + Marte for Burnett

Contreras + Marte for Burnett

Contreras + BMac + Marte for Burnett + something else.

I could not find what that something else was but none of the sights suggested it was Lowell. They did discuss the issue of Florida wanting to get a starter in return to fill the whole left by Burnett.

Contract wise:

Marte 500K 05, $2.25M 06, 500K buyout 07.

Contreras $2.8M left 05, $8M 06.

Burnett $1.5M left 05, FA 06.

Lowell Signed a $3M left 05, $18M/2yr 06, 07.

$-wise 05,06 are a wash. So it's a question of how of Lowell's last yr will the Marlins pick up. Figure they split the difference or $5M.

This is just speculation but that would make it

Contreras+BMac+Marte FOR Burnett+Lowell+$5M

Which Lowell are we getting?

Mike Lowell 04 vs LH: .344/1.101, vs RH: .279/.807

Mike Lowell 05 vs LH: .343/.952 vs RH: .204/.562, Jul .294/.809

He's had 5 hitless games in Jul all against RHers.

He's had 3 3 hit games in Jul all against LHers.

Those Jul numbers are probably just a stretch of LHers coming his way.

I don't want Lowell but maybe the Giants would have an interest at a reduced price. If KW could then swing Lowell+SS prospect for Vizquel it looks better.

Contreras+BMac+Marte FOR Burnett+Vizquel.

Add Villone to the pen & I think KW's done the best job he could.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

I dont understand why Detroit is shopping Johnson so hard? He is part of a staff that is in the top 5 ERA in the league. Johnson has been hard on the Sox for the past 2 years, even though they have enjoyed mild success against him. Strange.