The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
To me there is only one spot the other bat can go and thats shortstop.  You could make a case for 2nd as well cause Guchi is in a major major funk.  But Omar Vizquel would look amazing.  Problem is I don't think the Giants are interested in dealing him.

Uribe is such a free swinger and is in such a bad way this year. I dont want him up to bat at all with the game on the line. Vizquel would be perfect. He is left handed, could take over the 2 spot allowing Gooch to hit lower in the order were I feel he will take off. And it gets Uribe out of the everyday lineup.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
So you give up if healthy, a top of the line left handed relief pitcher, and your top pitcher in the minor leagues in return you get a .500 pitcher for 2 months. I guarantee you if you offered BMac straight up for Aubrey Huff, TB jumps at it. I bet if you offered BMac for Griffey, Cincinatti jumps at it. Read Dave Van Dykes article in the Tribune. M

Have you seen what TB has asked for in return for Huff? I guarrantee you they do not do that deal. Cinci maybe, and I would love it, but who knows. Your taking as much a risk on Jr as you are on Burnett in that instance. And yes I give up the so called "top of the line left handed relief pitcher" and if you think he is the top pitcher in our minors fine, but I like some others we have better. No doubt I do that deal. Our time is now, not next year or 5 years from now, but NOW!!!!!!!

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Take on Lowell, BWAHAHAHAHA.

^^^^

I think this is a very good trade. The way Cotts has been pitching this season makes Marte tradeable. The plus is that we don't give up a SP from this years team and makes the pitching that much deeper!

MB

Freddy

Jon

AJ

Count

That is one helluva rotation with El Duque as a long reliever! Wow. If this trade goes through, I will be one VERY happy man.

This is a great deal, IMO.

B-Mac is well, a prospect as we've seen thus far this season.

Marte, has just not been the same pitcher this year as much as I like the guy. Cotts is emerging.

And Burnett, while he would be a rental, would allow us to use either Count or the Duque from the pen.

If somehow we were able to retain Burnett, it would just be icing on the cake.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
^^^^

I think this is a very good trade. The way Cotts has been pitching this season makes Marte tradeable. The plus is that we don't give up a SP from this years team and makes the pitching that much deeper!

MB

Freddy

Jon

AJ

Count

That is one helluva rotation with El Duque as a long reliever! Wow. If this trade goes through, I will be one VERY happy man.

They have said the COUNT will be the long reliever

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
Have you seen what TB has asked for in return for Huff? I guarrantee you they do not do that deal. Cinci maybe, and I would love it, but who knows. Your taking as much a risk on Jr as you are on Burnett in that instance. And yes I give up the so called "top of the line left handed relief pitcher" and if you think he is the top pitcher in our minors fine, but I like some others we have better. No doubt I do that deal. Our time is now, not next year or 5 years from now, but NOW!!!!!!!

But you are acquiring a .500 pitcher who even this season has been just as inconsitent as the pitcher he would replace in the rotation. On top of that, it appears it would be a 2 month rental. I don't mind them overpaying, I don't mind them trading BMac, I do mind trying to pass off a guy who has been mediocre his entire career as the guy who is going to take the White Sox to the promised land.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
But you are acquiring a .500 pitcher who even this season has been just as inconsitent as the pitcher he would replace in the rotation. On top of that, it appears it would be a 2 month rental. I don't mind them overpaying, I don't mind them trading BMac, I do mind trying to pass off a guy who has been mediocre his entire career as the guy who is going to take the White Sox to the promised land.

And Marte and McCarthy have been what? Marte has been very inconsistent and possibly injured and McCarthy has not shown a damn thing in the majors or minors this year. Yes I take that chance on a power arm who has received very little run support. Especially to make him my 3rd or 4th starter, I say HELL YES!

I'm probably alone on this but i'd rather take on Alex Gonzalez than Mike Lowell. Crede seems to be playing better recently (and costs about 7million less) but Uribe has been just flat out awful lately. All in all, I dont know what to think about this trade. If we could wrap AJ up for a few seasons I like it, but if its just as a rental it isnt worth it.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
I'm probably alone on this but i'd rather take on Alex Gonzalez than Mike Lowell. Crede seems to be playing better recently (and costs about 7million less) but Uribe has been just flat out awful lately. All in all, I dont know what to think about this trade. If we could wrap AJ up for a few seasons I like it, but if its just as a rental it isnt worth it.

I think everyone would, now tell the Marlins that. Part of the deal is to let them dump Lowell on us. They don't want him and he costs a ton.

The absolute icing would be if AJ extends his deal. If we can do to him, what we did to Freddy, it would be fabulous. I know, I know, Ozzie and Freddy are close, but it would be awesome. Maybe we can show AJ how special this team is and he'll realize that we can be successful for years, and he would stay?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
And Marte and McCarthy have been what? Marte has been very inconsistent and possibly injured and McCarthy has not shown a damn thing in the majors or minors this year. Yes I take that chance on a power arm who has received very little run support.  Especially to make him my 3rd or 4th starter, I say HELL YES!

His ERA the las 2 months is over 4.50. That's in the NL. Run support hasn't been the issue.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
His ERA the las 2 months is over 4.50. That's in the NL. Run support hasn't been the issue.

You are right he is a bad pitcher, all those teams trying to trade for him must not have looked up those stats, I am sold now.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
You are right he is a bad pitcher, all those teams trying to trade for him must not have looked up those stats,  I am sold now.

Kris Benson was the flavor of the month last season. He was awful.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
Kris Benson was the flavor of the month last season. He's awful.

Burnett > Benson

Benson was brought in to be the Ace, with max pressure on him, Burnett, as a 4th starter, hmmm?

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Whitesox4ever @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
could it be possible that the Sox can deal AJ to the Phillies for Wagner..

Who would you rather have Burnett or Wagner

wagner BY far

absolutely no question

Burnett via ESPN:

There were times when Burnett's command deserted him, as often happens in the first year after Tommy John surgery, but for the most part he was extremely good in every way. Held to a strict pitch count early in his return, he stuck mainly to his 94-96 MPH fastball and hump-backed curve in order to conserve bullets. His fastball, which had been clocked several times at 100 MPH in 2002, returned to that level post-surgery. When he gets on a roll, Burnett stalks the mound like a panther, making hitters dance amid an array of effectively wild hard stuff. Surgery did nothing to interrupt the maturation in his thought process on the mound.