The AJ Burnett Rumor Mill II

Tadahito Iguchi

I was thinking about it last night, and I'm an advocate of, getting Burnett and swinging him for Wagner.....It makes sense to me, because the Phillies need pitching and they can't get Burnett from the Marlins because that would be like the Twins and the White Sox trading to eachother..........................

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN Insider

Fish hooked?

Jul 26 - According to South Florida Sun-Sentinel, a Marlins scout was in Syracuse, N.Y., over the weekend, where top White Sox pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy tossed six strong innings for Triple-A Charlotte.

McCarthy, 22, has been mentioned frequently as a key cog in a White Sox offer for A.J. Burnett. He is just 3-7 with a 5.17 ERA this year in the minors, but reports on the 6- foot-7 strikeout artist remain strong.

The top hitters on the Charlotte roster include outfielders Brian Anderson, the White Sox's top prospect, and Joe Borchard, a former No. 1 overall draft pick.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
Never know with Kenny, but I only see one big trade.

Me too, dude. That is why all these pie-in-the-sky threads have had me rolling on the floor. Don't get me wrong, I was just as suprised as anyone when Kenny made the such a high number of moves this off-season...I don't think anyone saw that coming.

But, when your team has the best record in baseball and it is widely believed to have some of the best "chemistry" in baseball, you aren't going to move current pieces of the MLB roster or start making moves left and right.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
ESPN Insider

Fish hooked?

Jul 26 - According to South Florida Sun-Sentinel, a Marlins scout was in Syracuse, N.Y., over the weekend, where top White Sox pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy tossed six strong innings for Triple-A Charlotte.

McCarthy, 22, has been mentioned frequently as a key cog in a White Sox offer for A.J. Burnett. He is just 3-7 with a 5.17 ERA this year in the minors, but reports on the 6- foot-7 strikeout artist remain strong.

The top hitters on the Charlotte roster include outfielders Brian Anderson, the White Sox's top prospect, and Joe Borchard, a former No. 1 overall draft pick.

Remember KW Joe Borchard is no longer on the "untouchable list" . Trade him now and may god have mercy on all of our souls. :pray

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
I have a feeling KW is flying under the radar and he will get someone we have not mentioned on this board for less price than Burnett.

I don't know, we've discussed pretty much everyone. Guardado, Wagner, Schmidt, Burnett, Vizquel, Huff, Overbay, blah, blah...I don't think even Kenny can fly that far under the radar.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Wasn't the Burnett deal supposed to be announced this morning, per a Bears message board?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...79entry795279

In all fairness, Anthrax93's source has about an hour and 15 minutes before his 60% correct prediction comes true.

The latest bit of information, according to a source, is that the Florida Marlins still are looking to deal starter A.J. Burnett, and if they pull the trigger, they intend to do it before Burnett pitches again Saturday.

That doesn't mean the Sox are ready to be the team the Marlins deal with, but it would allow them some breathing room if a swap is made. Indications are the Marlins still want to unload third baseman Mike Lowell in a Burnett deal. If the Sox relent and take on Lowell, they'd have a day to move him to another team if a three-team deal can't be done on the day of a trade.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep26.html

Is the holdup on this deal the Sox trying to swing Lowell to a third party? Just a thought, maybe Lowell(and a prospect or two)could be on his way to Philly for Wagner and Bell?

Just thinking out loud, no substance to anything.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
It's become very very quiet...a KW strike is on the horizon. :)

About three times yesterday I tried to log on but was rejected because of too many connections to the server. I thought that a trade had been done because so many people logged on. I was pretty dissapointed when I logged on and found out it was only because everyone decided to log on at the same time....;)