Sox scouting Lyle Overbay

beck72

Don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but in the 1 pm hour the Score said the sox were scouting Lyle Overbay as well as Aubrey huff. Whether MIL would do something like that who knows. But 3b is a real need for them, and Josh Fields could play a part of such a deal. He'd be a yr away for them.

Overbay's bat, hitting for high avg and great OBP would fit in nicely on the sox, even with Frank and CArl around this yr. With Everett likely gone after this yr, PK and Overbay could split time at 1b and DH.

Maybe it's just another name tossed in the rumor mill. Yet Overbay I'm sure could see some AB's this yr somehow, esp if Frank is gone for a while.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
Don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but in the 1 pm hour the Score said the sox were scouting Lyle Overbay as well as Aubrey huff. Whether MIL would do something like that who knows. But 3b is a real need for them, and Josh Fields could play a part of such a deal. He'd be a yr away for them.

Overbay's bat, hitting for high avg and great OBP would fit in nicely on the sox, even with Frank and CArl around this yr. With Everett likely gone after this yr, PK and Overbay could split time at 1b and DH.

Maybe it's just another name tossed in the rumor mill. Yet Overbay I'm sure could see some AB's this yr somehow, esp if Frank is gone for a while.

Overbay would be our best hitter...gotta be in the lineup everyday.

Overbay would be a great addition, the lefthanded bat they need. Williams and Melvin are on great terms, plus they did a win-win deal last winter.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
Overbay would be a great addition, the lefthanded bat they need.  Williams and Melvin are on great terms, plus they did a win-win deal last winter.

If true, the sox must be really worried about Frank not being able to contribute as the #3, #4 hitter this yr.

I said this in another thread, but if this is going to be the Overbay thread, I'll post it here again.

Overbay would be a perfect short and long term fit for the White Sox. Plus with the duel successes of the Pods/Viz-Lee trade, I could see these teams matching up for another deal as the Brewers would like to free up some spots for their big prospects, and the Sox would like a shot at some of their players.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
Overbay would be our best hitter...gotta be in the lineup everyday.

With Carl hitting better as a RH hitter this yr, Lyle's lefty bat would get into a lot of games as a DH, and to rest PK.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
As I posted in another thread, Milwaukee isn't going to trade Overbay this season.  They are going to wait until the offseason before they make a move with him.

I remember hearing an interview w/ Melvin and he said most of the time the best deals [for the best value] are made in the offseason. Yet like Jim H said, both gm's could try for a win-win trade in the Lee-Pods mold.

If anyone can get Overbay from MIL, KW probably could.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
As I posted in another thread, Milwaukee isn't going to trade Overbay this season.  They are going to wait until the offseason before they make a move with him.

why?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
Overbay would be a perfect short and long term fit for the White Sox. 

It's interesting to see the sox thinking about the long term as well as the short term future make up of the team with any possible trades. A trade like this would definitely be about helping the sox this yr and the next few.

I dont know about that, Prince Fielder showed them he could hit major league pitching, and getting him a half season in the bigs wouldnt hurt him at all. Isnt Overbay a free agent after this season? If so, Milwaukee would be wise to move him now so they can get something for him.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
It's interesting to see the sox thinking about the long term as well as the short term future make up of the team with any possible trades. A trade like this would definitely be about helping the sox this yr and the next few.

they did it last year with garcia. It seems to be KW's style, and it's great.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
I dont know about that, Prince Fielder showed them he could hit major league pitching, and getting him a half season in the bigs wouldnt hurt him at all.  Isnt Overbay a free agent after this season?  If so, Milwaukee would be wise to move him now so they can get something for him.

Overbay may be arb. eligible this offseason if even that. He won't be a FA for a few yrs.

Are you the Brewers GM?

The way I look it as is:

1 Milwaukee pretty much knows they have a very little shot to do anything this year.

2 Now might be the time to get peak value in return for overbay.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
I wish you had insider info and this was it  :lol:

Here's some insider info..

There's about as much of a chance that they trade him now as there was of them trading him last year..

;)

This is one of the few good things about overpaying in the past. In Seattle and MIL, KW has GMs that understand that KW is not looking to fleece anyone, he's looking to truly make deals that will improve both teams. Also, there's no doubt that other GMs across the league have taken note. This puts KW in a much better position than conceited assholes who write autobiographies about their GM abilities before reaching age 50.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
I dont know about that, Prince Fielder showed them he could hit major league pitching, and getting him a half season in the bigs wouldnt hurt him at all.  Isnt Overbay a free agent after this season?  If so, Milwaukee would be wise to move him now so they can get something for him.

I have a few reasons why he won't get traded now.

a ) Melvin believes that Position Players get more trade value during the offseason.

b ) Milwaukee is only 5 1/2 out of the Wild card right now.

c ) They don't think Fielder is ready to play everyday.

d ) Overbay is a fan favorite

e ) Cheap Contract

With all that, there is no reason to rush trading Overbay. It is best to just wait until the offseason.

Edited by SHAFTR