Sox scouting Lyle Overbay

beck72

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
Are you the Brewers GM?

The way I look it as is:

1 Milwaukee pretty much knows they have a very little shot to do anything this year.

2 Now might be the time to get peak value in return for overbay.

EVerybody in the MLB knows that Overbay is going to get moved so Prince Fielder can get take over. It certainly can't help Overbay sitting on the bench watching Prince slowly take his job away, when Lyle's done everything asked of him and more.

If Melvin was a straight up guy, he'd move Lyle before the 31st so he can continue to develop. But Melvin has to let everyone know [other gm's] that he isn't just going to give away Overbay. could be some posturing on Melvin's part, saying he'll hold onto Lyle 'til the offseason. But I also heard him say in an interview w/ BOers and Bernstein less than a month ago

I thought Fielder was still up with MIL. I didn't know it was for only 1 game. But with MIL 2 games under .500, they have to know this yr it's unrealistic to fight for the wildcard. If Fielder is ready [which it seems he is--I don't know his stats in AAA], Overbay could be moved in the right deal for MIL.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
I thought Fielder was still up with MIL. I didn't know it was for only 1 game. But with MIL 2 games under .500, they have to know this yr it's unrealistic to fight for the wildcard. If Fielder is ready [which it seems he is--I don't know his stats in AAA], Overbay could be moved in the right deal for MIL.

They brought up Fielder to basically get his feet wet. They had a couple series' against AL teams and thought it was a good time to get him up there as the DH. I think he played a couple games at 1B while he was up, too.

I would be shocked if the Sox acquired Overbay. I think right now they are exhausing all possibilities for a replacement for Frank. I wouldn't doubt they are looking at and have scouted Overbay, because he would be a logical replacement, but actual serious trade discussions I would really doubt.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
They brought up Fielder to basically get his feet wet.  They had a couple series' against AL teams and thought it was a good time to get him up there as the DH.  I think he played a couple games at 1B while he was up, too.

So Fielder's service has started, correct? The only reason then to not keep him up for good is if he's not ready [hitting .264 with strong OBP and SLg numbers] or can't field well enough to stick. Seeing how his glove won't get much better from now until the start of 2006, the only question is if his bat is ready.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
I would be shocked if the Sox acquired Overbay. I think right now they are exhausing all possibilities for a replacement for Frank. I wouldn't doubt they are looking at and have scouted Overbay, because he would be a logical replacement, but actual serious trade discussions I would really doubt.

There really wouldn't be much to scout. He's a career .340 minor league hitter who is getting more power in the bigs [though he hit for over a .500 slg % there too], and has a very good glove.

The only question is what would the sox have to give up?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
So Fielder's service has started, correct? The only reason then to not keep him up for good is if he's not ready [hitting .264 with strong OBP and SLg numbers] or can't field well enough to stick. Seeing how his glove won't get much better from now until the start of 2006, the only question is if his bat is ready.

I've heard from Brewer fans that he's actually very nimble for how big he is. They think that so long as he continues what he's doing hitting-wise (high OBP, high SLG%), that he'll be fine for a couple of years at 1B. Later down the road, who knows...

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
I beleive MIL thinks he is ready,but there simply is no room for him, hence Overbay rumors. Like you said, his service time has already started, and obviously the Brewers aren't winning the divison in the next two or three years, so you know they are going to want to get there future star some legit time.

The only holdup IMO is that Overbay is still very cheap(at least ESPN.com says he is only making 450,000.)

ESPN says Overbay has 4 yrs in the bigs. So, he'd be eligible for a big raise next yr. He'd likely get over $2 mill, maybe close to $3 mill, wouldn't he?

Seeing how everyone in the world knows Melvin has to deal Overbay, other GM's may try to bargain him down. If Melvin gets a very good offer from KW, Melvin could be smart to deal him now. Esp if the sox have a player who fits in better w/ MIL's plans than Lyle. Like Brian Anderson. It depends on what MIL needs, I guess

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
SO, based on their needs, we would have to give them Josh Fields and either an arm, or Anderson.

I don't know the price in terms of talent. But if the sox were to deal w/ MIL, both GM's would give up similar talent to try and get another win-win deal. I'm sure the price to get a bat and glove like Overbay would be high. So Fields and Anderson might be the kind of price the sox would be asked for

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
I don't know the price in terms of talent. But if the sox were to deal w/ MIL, both GM's would give up similar talent to try and get another win-win deal. I'm sure the price to get a bat and glove like Overbay would be high. So Fields and Anderson might be the kind of price the sox would be asked for

If that's the price, I'd say jump on it.

QUOTE(shakes @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
If that's the price, I'd say jump on it.

I agree. Anderson/Fields for Overbay is a good deal IMO. He could replace Frank/Carl and become our official DH and we could even switch he and PK on some days to get Overbay some time at 1st and PK at Dh. Ideal line-up:

Pods- LF

Vizquel - SS

Overbay - DH

Dye - RF

PK - 1B

Aaron - CF

Pierzynski - C

Crede - 3B

Iguchi - 2B

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
The thought of trading for Lyle Overbay at this point in the year scares me to death.  I'm worried Doug Melvin would eat Kenny for dinner.

See: Lee for Pods/Vizcaino

With both MIL and the Sox being in the southern league, they should be well aware of each others talent in AA and those who went onto AAA that played in Huntsville and Birmingham.

And checking the Brewers minor league rosters and stats, they don't have anyone decent at 3b in AA or AAA.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
I agree. Anderson/Fields for Overbay is a good deal IMO. He could replace Frank/Carl and become our official DH and we could even switch he and PK on some days to get Overbay some time at 1st and PK at Dh. Ideal line-up:

Pods- LF

Vizquel - SS

Overbay - DH

Dye - RF

PK - 1B

Aaron - CF

Pierzynski - C

Crede - 3B

Iguchi - 2B

I don't think we could just froget about Carl like that. He has not hurt us.

I'd imagine that he'd be quite costly in terms of talent. He certainly has impressive numbers, although he fell off quite a bit in the second half last year. I'd definitely revisit this possibility in the offseason if we can't get it done now.