Sox scouting Lyle Overbay

beck72

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
I don't see why any team would want Borchard in any trade, I just don't see what value he has.

Well, apparently he has been hot in AAA lately, thus boosting the little value he had....

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
Anderson/Tracy for Overbay

Yes? No?

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I doubt Milwaukee would. I don't see *Tracey* as a major piece to any deal. He's putting up a 4.03 ERA at a huge park, is walking almost a guy every two innings, and doesn't have a very good K/9 rate. I doubt he'd be half the deal for such a good player in Overbay.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I doubt Milwaukee would.  I don't see *Tracey* as a major piece to any deal.  He's putting up a 4.03 ERA at a huge park, is walking almost a guy every two innings, and doesn't have a very good K/9 rate.  I doubt he'd be half the deal for such a good player in Overbay.

Yeah can't see a Anderson and Tracey deal for Overbay myself. The Brewers may not even want Anderson, they already have 3 good OF's in Lee, Jenkins and Clark and Nelson Cruz in AAA. I'm thinking Gonzalez, Bajenaru and Fields for Overbay.

Updates from various articles;

Mercury News -

Money to spend: Brewers owner Mark Attanasio, in town for the home stand, said he had told general manager Doug Melvin there is extra money in the budget to pick up a player in a trade who might help the club.

"I've given him permission to add payroll if he can find a player who can help the team," Attanasio said. "Preferably in the medium term but if not, in the near term. That's his call.

"There's absolutely enough (money available) to get a good player. I haven't qualified it. There's money available to upgrade the team."

Despite that leeway, Attanasio said it had been very quiet on the trade front. Most teams are looking for pitching and the Brewers don't intend to deal any pitchers who fit into their future plans.

"All teams are looking to upgrade pitching, especially this time of year," Attanasio said. "Pitchers tend to be overvalued now.

"I'd love to get in there and do something. But Doug's running the show. He's showing discipline."

Attanasio did say you can forget trade rumors involving first baseman Lyle Overbay, including the latest that he's headed to the Chicago White Sox.

"Why would we trade Lyle Overbay?" Attanasio asked. "That makes no sense."

Milwaulkee Journal Sentinel -

With the Milwaukee Brewers yet to return to playoff contender after a long, hard fall to the bottom of the NL Central, Melvin has had no occasion to pull the trigger on a July 31 blockbuster since taking over the club's reins at the end of the 2002 season. As the club flirts with a .500 record for the first time in 13 years, he doesn't anticipate making a big deal before the Sunday deadline this season, either.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
http://p092.ezboard.com/fbrewersfandemoniu...tart=21&stop=37

Link the to the Brewers fan site about the trade.

how many times is McCarthy going to be traded. Its McCarthy for Overbay, McCarthy for Wagner a MCCarthy for Burnett. I think he can be traded once and his name comes up every time. We need a left handed power hitter not Overbay. We have Ross Gload if we give him a chance he'll come through. Our first prioity should be a reliable utility infielder or regular shortstop.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
how many times is McCarthy going to be traded.  Its McCarthy for Overbay,  McCarthy for Wagner a MCCarthy for Burnett. I think he can be traded once and his name comes up  every time. We need a left handed power hitter not Overbay. We have Ross Gload if we give him a chance he'll come through.    Our first prioity should be a reliable utility infielder or regular shortstop.

Gload's never played a full major league season before, and you just know when they didn't call him up when he was still healthy, they just don't think of him as a future everyday player (even though I know a lot of people round here do think he is). Oh and Overbay has 16 HR's this season so far, he's on pace for a .300/30HR/100RBI season.

Lyle Overbay, huh? If that's the case then, where do you think Paulie is going to go? The trade makes sense, only from a standpoint of a couple of things:

1) This would give the Sox a Left-Handed, power hitting first baseman. My focus is on the left-handed hitting aspect, as this would bring some balance to the lineup so that the opposition wouldn't have to hit a mostly all-right-handed team.

2) From a salary standpoint IMO, wouldn't Overbay save the Sox some money? Does anyone know what Overbay's salary is?

If I'm the Brewers, I would ask for any of the following to make the deal happen:

*Ross Gload, to take over 1b, or Paul Konerko if the Sox were willing to throw in some cash in the trade.

*Casey Rogowski

*Ryan Sweeney

*Sean Tracey

*Ray Liotta

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 06:38 AM)
Yeah can't see a Anderson and Tracey deal for Overbay myself. The Brewers may not even want Anderson, they already have 3 good OF's in Lee, Jenkins and Clark and Nelson Cruz in AAA. I'm thinking Gonzalez, Bajenaru and Fields for Overbay.

A couple of thoughts:

- the Brewers can't wait to get G. Jenkins off of their team. He's one of the most overrated, high-priced players in baseball.

- the Brewers just drafted Ryan Braun, a stud 3b from Miami. Why would they want Josh Fields?

- to me, if a team makes a blockbuster trade with the Sox, they're going to get either Anderson, Sweeney, or Young in the trade.

- one name who I don't see mentioned as a trading chip much, but I think will likely be gone if we make a big trade, is B. Jenks. You could argue that he's our best trading chip right now, even more than McCarthy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
A couple of thoughts:

- the Brewers can't wait to get G. Jenkins off of their team.  He's one of the most overrated, high-priced players in baseball.

- the Brewers just drafted Ryan Braun, a stud 3b from Miami.  Why would they want Josh Fields?

- to me, if a team makes a blockbuster trade with the Sox, they're going to get either Anderson, Sweeney, or Young in the trade.

- one name who I don't see mentioned as a trading chip much, but I think will likely be gone if we make a big trade, is B. Jenks.  You could argue that he's our best trading chip right now, even more than McCarthy.

I don't think anyone's going to take on Jenkins contract, and he has hit really well as of late. I still think they'll keep him around at least until the end of next season. A team like Texas who's desperate for a RF however.....

Braun's still a while away, but so is Fields. Fields could always move back to first, but with Fielder that probably won't be necessary. If Jenkins is moved, they'll have a greater need for Anderson but they also have Dave Krynzel in the minors with Nelson Cruz.

Right now I'd give up Anderson before Sweeney or Young. Anderson is the safest of the 3, but I don't think he's going to be an all-star, the other 2 on the other hand have the potential too, which is what I'm looking for from our system.

You're right on Jenks, but with the way he's pitched and the Sox's need for a good future young closer, I can't see them getting rid of him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 05:27 AM)
Gload's never played a full major league season before, and you just know when they didn't call him up when he was still healthy, they just don't think of him as a future everyday player (even though I know a lot of people round here do think he is). Oh and Overbay has 16 HR's this season so far, he's on pace for a .300/30HR/100RBI season.

not to mention .390 OBP is damn solid

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 06:37 AM)
2)  From a salary standpoint IMO, wouldn't Overbay save the Sox some money?  Does anyone know what Overbay's salary is?

If I'm the Brewers, I would ask for any of the following to make the deal happen:

*Ross Gload, to take over 1b, or Paul Konerko if the Sox were willing to throw in some cash in the trade.

*Casey Rogowski

*Ryan Sweeney

*Sean Tracey

*Ray Liotta

Overbay is making 446K this season and is protected for the next 2 seasons. Where as Konerko is making 8.75M and will be making 10+ in the FA market.

The Brewers would have absolutly NO interest in Gload and especially Konerko. The only reason they would be willing to trade Overbay in the first place would be to open up the spot for Prince Fielder.

Which also means they wouldn't want Casey Rogowski

They could be interested in a Ryan Sweeney or Sean Tracey/Ray Liotta but more likely would want Brian Anderson/Brandon McCarthy, they're trading good major league talent and expect more polished, further along, higher touted prospects in return for thier starting fistbaseman.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
expect more polished, further along, higher touted prospects in return for thier starting fistbaseman.

Sounds like Joe "500 foot homer" Borchard. We could throw in Willie "Speed Demon" Harris and Cy Felix Diaz. That should overwhelm them and bring Overbay into our grasps.