7-27-05 Game thread Sox @ KC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Trivia fans:

When was the last time that a game being played under protest was actually reversed?

I sure have no idea....

I wonder if it was the George Brett Pine tar game? :huh:

Protest (baseball)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

When an umpire makes a decision that a manager feels is incorrect, the manager may decide to protest the decision.

When a manager decides to protest, he must inform the umpire of the decision immediately, before the next pitch is made. He must explain that his team is now playing the game under protest. A manager may only protest when he feels the umpire's interpertation of the rules is in error. Judgement calls, such as ball or strike, foul or fair, out or safe, interference, or obstruction may not be protested. Protests also may not be lodged over issues that do not directly affect the game (such as ejection) or on scoring decisions.

If the disputed play is last of the game, the manager has until noon the next day to lodge the protest.

A protested game is continued as normal. If the protesting team wins, the protest is dropped. Otherwise, the decision is reviewed by the President of the League. If it is determined that the umpire was in error, and that the decision adversely affected the outcome of the game for the protesting team, then the protest is upheld. The game must be replayed from the point of protest as soon as possible for both teams. All results of the old game are thrown out. Otherwise, the protest is thrown out and the game stands.

Protests in baseball are rare, and an upheld protest is rarer still.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
ESPN said because camp wasn't on the player list given out before the game.

If this is accurate (he wasn't on the list), it sounds reasonable I guess, maybe, who the hell am I kidding, I don't know if it is reasonable or not.

Later gang. :cheers

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Even if the protest is upheld, we have to continue to play the game from where it was left off.  I just want this f***ing thing over with. Win the damn game so it doesn't matter.

So really, if true, we cant lose today and would have to battle it out sometime later. I am assuming that would mean we couldnt use our whole pen, just Viz if a future game is to be played? I just want this to end :crying