A deal w/ the D-Rays makes sense

beck72

If recent reports are true,and the sox are interested on getting Aubrey Huff and Danys Baez, it makes a lot of sense. TB would be very up to date on the sox prospects, with both their top minor league clubs in the same divisions.

The D-Rays need the most help with their pitching, both SP's and relievers. Getting a SP prospect better than BMac in today's market would be hard for them to turn down. If the Sox added a guy like Jenks [one of the better closers in the minors] to a deal, good lord would that give the sox some flexibility in doing another deal for say Billy Wagner.

I'm not sure what else TB would be looking for. But the two biggest weak spots, bullpen and SP, could be exactly what the sox have to offer.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
Cleanup in aisle 5!

:lolhitting

I don't really see what being in the same division has to do with anything.. :huh

But I wouldn't really hang on too tight to a deal with Tampa. They want the moon and the stars.. and in return are willing to give you a kaleidoscope.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
In looking at the DRays minor league guys, they only have one guy with more than 4 saves higher than low A--30 yr old Lee Gardner with 11 in AAA. A guy like Jenks would have to be attractive in a deal.

I was reading an article on the D-Rays yesterday and IIRC Piniella and Lamar seem convinced now that if the D-Rays can upgrade the pen like the Sox did this off-season, they'll be a much better ball - club next season. Someone like Jeff Bajenaru would make ideal sense to them along with say Marte and Tracey for Danys Baez (and that's probably a minimum price that Lamar is asking for).

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
I don't really see what being in the same division has to do with anything..  :huh

The DRays would be very familiar with the sox top minor leaguers in both AA and AAA. Which means a deal could be done relatively quickly [the scouts would already have seen the sox guys play and know if they could be a good fit for them].

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:05 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks that Baez isn't much of an upgrade from Marte?

Baez's numbers arent all that good. For what Lamar is asking I wouldnt go for it. I would rather make a pitch for Overbay from the Brewers.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:05 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks that Baez isn't much of an upgrade from Marte?

All I know is we have a lefty that can't get out lefties.

I'm so friggin fed up with Marte at this point. I'm ready to pack his bags myself if it means acquiring a guy like Burnett followed by a signing of Kline or Embree.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
All I know is we have a lefty that can't get out lefties.

I'm so friggin fed up with Marte at this point.  I'm ready to pack his bags myself if it means acquiring a guy like Burnett followed by a signing of Kline or Embree.

PLEASE say NO to Embree.

I'd sooner have Koch back.

THAT isn't supposed to be green.

Embree---> :finger

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)
Baez's numbers arent all that good.  For what Lamar is asking I wouldnt go for it. I would rather make a pitch for Overbay from the Brewers.

What is Lamar asking? I can assure you KW would not trade Marte for Baez straight up, let alone sweetening the pot.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
Baez's numbers arent all that good.  For what Lamar is asking I wouldnt go for it. I would rather make a pitch for Overbay from the Brewers.

Probably because he's had to pitch more than 1 inning to get his saves since the D-Rays pen is so bad (we all remember what that did to Shingo last season).

And Overbay's just a pipe dream really (it'd have to be an insane offer for Doug Melvin to accept). We might as well wait to the off-season when he and Chad Tracy will both likely be available.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
I was reading an article on the D-Rays yesterday and IIRC Piniella and Lamar seem convinced now that if the D-Rays can upgrade the pen like the Sox did this off-season, they'll be a much better ball - club next season. Someone like Jeff Bajenaru would make ideal sense to them along with say Marte and Tracey for Danys Baez (and that's probably a minimum price that Lamar is asking for).

Which makes a fit between the two clubs pretty decent. The sox have guys for the rotation [bMac and Tracey] and the bullpen [baj and Jenks, and LH's like Meaux and Munoz, etc]

If the Sox could somehow parley Marte into Wagner [Philly would be idiots to refuse a package of Baez and Marte for Billy], that makes sense. But trading Marte for Baez isn't all that big of an upgrade, IMO

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
PLEASE say NO to Embree.

I'd sooner have Koch back.

THAT isn't supposed to be green.

Embree--->  :finger

How much f'ing worse can the guy be than Marte? If he comes in and gets out two lefties...he's already BETTER than Marte.

Honestly, at this point, I'd just as soon dish Marte and grab a LHP off the scrap heap because the one of the two we have in the pen right now can't get our a LH to save his life.

Kline or Embree--I'm sticking to it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
What is Lamar asking? I can assure you KW would not trade Marte for Baez straight up, let alone sweetening the pot.

Nobody knows. I love how folks act as if they have spoken to him on the phone.

Lamar has a horrible reputation when it comes to making trades; that's all we know.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
How much f'ing worse can the guy be than Marte?  If he comes in and gets out two lefties...he's already BETTER than Marte.

Honestly, at this point, I'd just as soon dish Marte and grab a LHP off the scrap heap because the one of the two we have in the pen right now can't get our a LH to save his life.

Kline or Embree--I'm sticking to it.

I think the sox are as fed up w/ Marte as you. He's had one very solid appearance in the two yrs Ozzie has had him. His time is up.

I could live with a Kline or Embree, provided of course the sox upgraded at closer/ set up with a guy like Wagner

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
How can you guys mention Jenks in a trade?  We arent giving up one of the hardest to find commodities in the game.  He is cheap, young, and just realizing his potential at the big league level.  You have got to be kidding me!!

In the words of KW, "1917". Jenks may be a lights out closer for yrs to come. But not this yr. If he could be part of a deal that nets Wagner, I could live with that. For a middle of the road guy like Baez, certainly not

One other thing--Jenks was a waiver wire pickup. How often could a waiver wire guy be used to pick up an all star closer? Not very often.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
I think the sox are as fed up w/ Marte as you. He's had one very solid appearance in the two yrs Ozzie has had him. His time is up.

I could live with a Kline or Embree, provided of course the sox upgraded at closer/ set up with a guy like Wagner

I thank you.

That's all I'm getting at. Are Kline or Embree considered consesus improvements over Marte? No. But, if Marte is dealt for Burnett and Kenny is able to go out and grab either Kline or Embree or Dennis Eckersley (a righty that could get out lefties with the best of em') or whoever, he comes out on top!

You're looking at:

Losing Marte and McCarthy

Acquiring Burnett and Kline/Embree

Hang a star on that one for Mr. Williams.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
In the words of KW, "1917". Jenks may be a lights out closer for yrs to come. But not this yr. If he could be part of a deal that nets Wagner, I could live with that. For a middle of the road guy like Baez, certainly not

One other thing--Jenks was a waiver wire pickup. How often could a waiver wire guy be used to pick up an all star closer? Not very often.

Yeah, but how often could a waiver wire guy BECOME an All-Star closer? Not declaring that he will be, but signs are looking positive right now.

Edited by ceffa2000

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
Embree 2005

YEAR    G   IP     H   R HR  BB   SO  W L Sv  P/GS  WHIP BAA  ERA 

Season 43 37.2    42  33  8   11  30  1 4  1   0.0  1.41 .284 7.65

the key is getting a LHP who can get lh hitters out--even for 1 batter. LH hitters are hitting over .300 vs Marte. The key to me is how well they handle LH hitters. Embree may be a poor example. But a guy is out there who can get LH hitters out better than Marte has this yr.

Why would anyone think Baez would be a bullpen upgrade? The guy has 7 blown saves this year. Shingo was 8 for 9 in save chances. If you've been frustrated by Marte, Shingo and Vizcaino, you'll be equally frustrated by Mr. Baez. And on top of that, adding a guy like Embree? You guys must be masochists.

Edited by Dick Allen