A deal w/ the D-Rays makes sense

beck72

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
How do you know what they care about?

Sorry but I think Steff really does know what they are like and how they are run and it is apparent on how they are run on a day-to-day basis.  Lamar and the owner are good friends he ain't going nowhere and does not need to do anything but keep the salary down.  Wins, losses and attendance do not matter.Lamar is a fool and there is no recourse against, I guess this makes him brilliant.

ok 1.) i agree on keeping salary down. 2.) i disagree taht attendance does not matter. it does matter, becuase it will bring them more money. if they can raise attendence by not spending more on salaries of players then WHY NOT DO IT?????!?!?!

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
question: do you agree with me that tehy simply want to make money?

if yes, then answer this....to make money, they want to spend nothing right?

so trading away 7.5 mil makes sense right?

now trading that 7.5 mil away will lose them more games, but tehy dont care, as long as their profit is higher.

if they can get players in return, that somehow (maybe by contributing to wins) increases their profit as well, then why not?

They want to do as little as possible which for them means doing nothing. I don't know how much more clear I can make that for you to comprehend...

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
ok 1.) i agree on keeping salary down. 2.) i disagree taht attendance does not matter. it does matter, becuase it will bring them more money. if they can raise attendence by not spending more on salaries of players then WHY NOT DO IT?????!?!?!

Is an increase in payroll going to be greater than an increase in the money that would make from an attendance increase though? This is why I'm saying they may just hang onto Huff. He's a sure commodity, you trade him for prospects, and want to use some payroll room, are they going to sign anyone who was better than Huff in the 1st place?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
They want to do as little as possible which for them means doing nothing. I don't know how much more clear I can make that for you to comprehend...

ok steff, ill explain this to you slowly. i can run a lemonade stand. i buy lemons for 7.50 and make a profit of 20 dollars on my lemonade. but someone comes along and says hey, your lemons are really good, ill trade you my 30 cent lemons, which may taste slightly worse than your 7.50 lemons, and all you have to do is give me your 7.50 lemons. i make the trade, and i use 30 cent lemons. fewer people buy my lemonade because it tastes worse, but i spend less, so my profit may increase to 21 dollars. now the trade for my lemons makes sense, not because i want my lemonade to taste good, but because i want my money.

the devil rays are running a business, not a baseball team. and its simply dumb to sit tehre and say that doing nothing and sitting back with your feet up is teh best way to run a business

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
ok steff, ill explain this to you slowly. i can run a lemonade stand. i buy lemons for 7.50 and make a profit of 20 dollars on my lemonade. but someone comes along and says hey, your lemons are really good, ill trade you my 30 cent lemons, which may taste slightly worse than your 7.50 lemons, and all you have to do is give me your 7.50 lemons. i make the trade, and i use 30 cent lemons. fewer people buy my lemonade because it tastes worse, but i spend less, so my profit may increase to 21 dollars. now the trade for my lemons makes sense, not because i want my lemonade to taste good, but because i want my money.

the devil rays are running a business, not a baseball team. and its simply dumb to sit tehre and say that doing nothing and sitting back with your feet up is teh best way to run a business

on that note im done with this btw, back to real baseball

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)

Because you can't control attendance, see White Sox and Miami. The state of Florida is the state of Florida. Miami tried winning and it didn't work.

You can watch about 15 spring training teams when the weather is nice. Now when it is 100 where do you want to go, the ocean or to see the D-Rays?? Sports in Florida are different than Chicago. 75 and sunny and the ballpark. -10 and snowing indoor hockey. 75 and sunny (hockey???) 110 baseball

The risk of building a new stadium and spending money (to compete agaisnt NY and Boston) is not worth it.

I really think they are in a no win situation and will be dicks about it, I thought that was the point of not trading for spite.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)

Well wouldn't you trade every player who makes over the minimum salary for prospects then?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)

Apparently all you're interested in doing is acting like a condescending ass.. I've told you what I know based on personal conversations with people who work for the Rays.. they don't care. They don't care about the fans, about the players, the stadium.. nothing. They don't want to do anything - hell... most of the time they don't even show up for games or general office time. Yes.. they are running a business. The best business. They DO sit there with their feet up.. do NOTHING... and collect big fat checks. It's not rocket science... to most... to see that there is no reason for them to bother scouting, researching, inquiring with other teams, etc, etc... when they can do NOTHING and still live high on the hog.

No effort, big reward.. that's the Devil Rays. No reason to change.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
Well wouldn't you trade every player who makes over the minimum salary for prospects then?

haha well.....2 answers. 1.) is there is a diminished return in which you spend so little, that the quality of product decreases so much, that eventually your business doesnt become profitiabe because your product stinks so much it doesnt make any money. 2.) ever look at the drays roster. i believe 2 years ago they ahd 3 players making over league minimum. that was it

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
Apparently all you're interested in doing is acting like a condescending ass..  I've told you what I know based on personal conversations with people who work for the Rays.. they don't care. They don't care about the fans, about the players, the stadium.. nothing. They don't want to do anything - hell... most of the time they don't even show up for games or general office time. Yes.. they are running a business. The best business. They DO sit there with their feet up.. do NOTHING... and collect big fat checks. It's not rocket science... to most... to see that there is no reason for them to bother scouting, researching, inquiring with other teams, etc, etc... when they can do NOTHING and still live high on the hog.

No effort, big reward.. that's the Devil Rays. No reason to change.

if thats what you believe to be true, then fair enough.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
haha well.....2 answers. 1.) is there is a diminished return in which you spend so little, that the quality of product decreases so much, that eventually your business doesnt become profitiabe because your product stinks so much it doesnt make any money.  2.) ever look at the drays roster. i believe 2 years ago they ahd 3 players making over league minimum. that was it

Are you not aware of the reveue sharing..??

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
if thats what you believe to be true, then fair enough.

Maybe open the paper... watch the sports news. It's common sense to see what they are doing and where they are going. Even their manager called them out.

Or I suppose you can just sit there and be ignorant on the matter...

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
haha well.....2 answers. 1.) is there is a diminished return in which you spend so little, that the quality of product decreases so much, that eventually your business doesnt become profitiabe because your product stinks so much it doesnt make any money.  2.) ever look at the drays roster. i believe 2 years ago they ahd 3 players making over league minimum. that was it

1 - Well the D-Rays owners would still be making a substantial profit from the Revenue Sharing that goes on in effect. Just saying that if Huff is traded, D-Rays fans might just think that's the final straw, and just not bother anymore.

2 - Right now making over the league minimum are;

Carl Crawford

Eduardo Perez

Danys Baez

Aubrey Huff

Travis Lee

Alex Gonzalez

Julio Lugo

Toby Hall

Josh Phelps

Jesus Colome

Travis Harper

Trever Miller

Dewon Brazelton

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Maybe open the paper... watch the sports news. It's common sense to see what they are doing and where they are going. Even their manager called them out.

Or I suppose you can just sit there and be ignorant on the matter...

the manager did call them out. on not caring about winning enough to spend some money to bring it good players. but isnt that what im arguing? either way, i fell victim to the 2 things i hate most. 1. people who unnecessarily become a dickhead on this site. and for that i apologize. i think the fundamental differnce in which we are arguing is petty, since all that matters is the fact that we both agree that their committment to their money outweighs their comittment to winning. so im sorry if i was, and i was , a dickhead and 2.) that i just took up a whole 3 damn pages of a rumor thread to discuss something that has absolutely nothing to do with teh rumor. so now that what has said has been said i woudl suggest and encourage any mods to either a.) move the last few pages to a new thread or b.) just delete it. its pretty useless

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
Because you can't control attendance, see White Sox and Miami.  The state of Florida is the state of Florida.  Miami tried winning and it didn't work.

You can watch about 15 spring training teams when the weather is nice.  Now when it is 100 where do you want to go, the ocean or to see the D-Rays??  Sports in Florida are different than Chicago. 75 and sunny and the ballpark.  -10 and snowing indoor hockey.  75 and sunny (hockey???) 110 baseball

The risk of building a new stadium and spending money (to compete agaisnt NY and Boston) is not worth it.

I really think they are in a no win situation and will be dicks about it, I thought that was the point of not trading for spite.

Maybe you don't know but the sox almost moved there because money for US Cellular wasn't being appropriated. I was 60% sure they were going. As far as trades we need a couple of good left-handed bats and in the lineup Huff would be great. As far as pitching I would really think twice about giving up McCarthy if he's pitching well. In the playoffs we can get by with 4sp 3 are superb and the other 2 can be brilliant. Marte, go ahead and trade him but leave Jenks,Cotts,Hermanson, and Politte alone.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
Maybe you don't know but the sox almost moved there because money for US Cellular wasn't being appropriated.  I was 60% sure they were going.  As far as trades we need a couple of good left-handed bats and  in the lineup Huff would be great. As far as pitching I would really think twice about giving up McCarthy if he's pitching well. In the playoffs we can get by with 4sp 3 are superb and the other 2 can be brilliant. Marte, go ahead and trade him but leave Jenks,Cotts,Hermanson, and Politte alone.

I knew that, they were going to be the St. Pete something, I have the t-shirt. The stadium down there was built for a team of some sort. It was their leverage.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
I knew that, they were going to be the St. Pete something, I have the t-shirt.  The stadium down there was built for a team of some sort.  It was their leverage.

thank god they never moved....its the exact same tactic the bears used when they cleared that plot of land in gary and threatened to build there

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
There really is a shortage of cities to place a team. Las Vegas has to be at the top. Maybe Portland, that's about it. The one place I think that makes the most sense but I doubt it will ever happen is placing another team in NYC. And if the contract a team, they have to contract at least 2, can't have an odd number of teams in baseball like you can in the other sports.

I remember reading a quality article that said the way to slow the NYC teams spending isn't taxes or salary caps but competition. They suggested adding a team in Brooklyn and a team in NJ. It would split up the market so that the Yankees and Mets would be on much closer footing to the rest of MLB.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
the manager did call them out. on not caring about winning enough to spend some money to bring it good players. but isnt that what im arguing? either way, i fell victim to the 2 things i hate most. 1. people who unnecessarily become a dickhead on this site.  and for that i apologize. i think the fundamental differnce in which we are arguing is petty, since all that matters is the fact that we both agree that their committment to their money outweighs their comittment to winning. so im sorry if i was, and i was , a dickhead and 2.) that i just took up a whole 3 damn pages of a rumor thread to discuss something that has absolutely nothing to do with teh rumor. so now that what has said has been said i woudl suggest and encourage any mods to either a.) move the last few pages to a new thread or b.) just delete it. its pretty useless

I was not trying to be an ass and if it came across that way I apologize also..

I understand what you are saying.. and it's logical.. but not to someone who has no interest in doing anything when they can be lazy and collect a check.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
I was not trying to be an ass and if it came across that way I apologize also..

I understand what you are saying.. and it's logical.. but not to someone who has no interest in doing anything when they can be lazy and collect a check.

oh well....lets jsut get back to talking sox :cheers