Thomas done for the year

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
If he can, he cant...if not, who cares, honestly...this team was better before Thomas' arrival.

We have holes, sure...but everyone else does, too.  We have the best starting pitching in the AL, nobody else even comes close, nobody else has a solid #1-2, let alone a solid 1-3 and El Duque for backup...nobody has anything NEAR that.

We have a bit weaker of an offense compared to others, but if they execute, that will not matter.

:ph34r:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't browsed through this entire thread, so if this has been discussed I apologize. But why exactly did the White Sox release this information TWO DAYS before the trade dealine? Doesn't anyone realize this makes our need of acquiring another bat more difficult?

I notice Bruce Levine broke the news on AM 1000. Whomever told him this should have waited. It's obvious we're pressing for a bat now if it wasn't prior to Frank's injury.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
I haven't browsed through this entire thread, so if this has been discussed I apologize. But why exactly did the White Sox release this information TWO DAYS before the trade dealine? Doesn't anyone realize this makes our need of acquiring another bat more difficult?

I notice Bruce Levine broke the news on AM 1000. Whomever told him this should have waited. It's obvious we're pressing for a bat now if it wasn't prior to Frank's injury.

Most have felt that the information would've leaked today whether or not Levine broke it at the time he did.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
on ESPN 1000 just now

Frank Thomas done for the year

Man, this sucks.

We're just going to have to do this thing for Big Frank this year.

It sucks though that now instead of being able to go after a reliever or something else we could use another big bat now.

I really REALLY was getting excited to see Frank come up in a big situation in the playoffs. I still get goosebumps when he comes up in tense moments.

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
looks like another case of Oz playing injured players TOO EARLY

Ha this isn't Ozzie's fault. Yes, he put Frank's name in the lineup, but Frank had to want to play. It's just an unfortunate situation, but Ozzie doesn't deserve blame.

I :pray we have not seen the last of Frank in the WSox uniform he wears so well. Reading the AP report made me :crying:. Frank has always been a MLB idol to me. I'm sure many WSox fans feel that way.

The Doc says it's not the same bone he had the screws in it. It's hairline fracture of another bone. They will immediately put him in a cast boot & see if it heals naturally. It's very doubtful he can come back & do a Gibson but I can't give up that hope. The Doc emphasized it is not career-ending.

KW's comments were encouraging. He said this wasn't in the script. He said Thomas was expected to come back & help the WSox win in the post season & come back next year to hit HR #500. He said if Thomas had not been hurt these past yrs he's sure we'd be talking about #600 instead of #450.

It sounds to me like Thomas will be back after signing what is likely to be the most incentive ladden contract in league history.

Still it won't be the same without Frank this year. We miss you big guy.

Get well soon :notworthy

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
:pray  we have not seen the last of Frank in the WSox uniform he wears so well.  Reading the AP report made me :crying:.  Frank has always been a MLB idol to me.  I'm sure many WSox fans feel that way.

The Doc says it's not the same bone he had the screws in it.  It's hairline fracture of another bone.  They will immediately put him in a cast boot & see if it heals naturally.  It's very doubtful he can come back & do a Gibson but I can't give up that hope.  The Doc emphasized it is not career-ending.

KW's comments were encouraging.  He said this wasn't in the script.  He said Thomas was expected to come back & help the WSox win in the post season & come back next year to hit HR #500. He said if Thomas had not been hurt these past yrs he's sure we'd be talking about #600 instead of #450. 

It sounds to me like Thomas will be back after signing what is likely to be the most incentive ladden contract in league history.

Still it won't be the same without Frank this year.  We miss you big guy.

Get well soon  :notworthy

well this might be wishful thinking however i believe that Mike Lowell was injured in 2003 in mid august because he broke a bone in his hand. he was supposed to be out for the rest of the season however he came back in the end of september and played in the playoffs. I know a broken bone in your hand isn't nearly as bad as a fractured bone in the ankle. Stranger things have happened. I agree that Frank will be back because i'm not sure how many teams will want a guy who has been hurt for 2 seasons in a row.

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
looks like another case of Oz playing injured players TOO EARLY

Ummm if that is anyones fault it is Franks for telling the team he was healthy enough to play. Once he said he was ready and he got his ABs on the rehab assignment, Kenny and Ozzie pretty much had to put him on the roster and play him. Only one person out of all those knows how bad Franks ankle hurt, and I don't see Ozzie having any superhuman mindreading powers...

Ummm if that is anyones fault it is Franks for telling the team he was healthy enough to play.  Once he said he was ready and he got his ABs on the rehab assignment, Kenny and Ozzie pretty much had to put him on the roster and play him.  Only one person out of all those knows how bad Franks ankle hurt, and I don't see Ozzie having any superhuman mindreading powers...

Frank's not a doctor so I don't think we should blame him. The doctor's okayed him to play. Schneider wasn't the one making the decisions. Schneider was just the representative for the White Sox. Frank had his own doctors.

Having observed him both from TV & live this year when he was hitting the dingers to where his avg was going south quickly I saw a noticeable change in his swing. In the first few weeks he had a golf like swing. The leg was perfectly still & he would pivot on it as the swing crossed the zone. Weeks later that swing degenerated to where he was turning the foot prior to the bat crossing the zone. I imagine that's when he fractured the other bone near the one that had the screws.

I'm no doctor of medicine & I've been blessed never to have anything worse than a major bruise or sprain but I've been around enough people with sports injuries in my time (football, swimming, softball, baseball in junior high, & high school) to know that when you come off an injury of that kind it's best to play with a brace to reduce pressure on the bones. I can't recall whether Frank wore a special shoe with a brace for the ankle or not during his rehab at Charlotte. But it didn't seem obvious when he

returned to Chicago.

FYI I'm not talking a metal brace. It's more like spandex only with a metalic composite. It's specially designed to balance stiffness vs mobility. Maybe Frank tried such a thing in Charlotte but found it a hinderance so with doctor's approval he went w/out it. We'll probably never know.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
tough break guys

as much as he hurts the Twins all the time, I still kind of like the guy. Never want to see a dude out for the year

And on the same day you guys lose one of your best hitters, not to mention your best defensive players in Torii Hunter. That f***ing sucks for him and the Twins. Hope he comes back at full strength once he's fully healed.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
Frank's .590 SLG% proved to be real cancerous to the team, huh?

its insanely funny how overrated this chemistry thing is sometimes. sure, its not worth it to have a guy like jose paniagua on the team who gives you no production. but if i have a guy even like AJ was thought to be, id take that production if it meant the trainer gettin kicked in the sack, and a few squabbles with my 5th starter over ben davis anyday

Edited by daa84