Thomas done for the year

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank is my favorite player of all time and it is disappointing he has been so injury-plagued the last couple of years. Hopefully the ankle gets the rest it needs and he comes back at full strength next year...in a Sox uniform!

As for Manny or Dunn, I would give up whatever the Red Sox/Reds want for either of them because they are both outstanding players. Manny is Frank Thomas pt. 2 with the bat and while Dunn has a low batting average (the thing that soured Cincy on him) his batting eye and peripheral numbers more than make up for it. The Sox need a slugger bad, and I would not be mad to see KW overpay for either of these two.

They have been winning most of the season without Frank. This actually could be a blessing. He wasn't going to be 100% anyway, and except for the homeruns, really added nothing offensively. Now, it appears KW will be forced to add a bat. The chances are that bat would be more effective down the stretch and hopefully into the playoffs than what Frank would have been able to provide at his ankle's top condition this season.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
If he rebroke it, we have seen the last of Frank in a Sox uniform.  We won't pay him that much money to sit out another year.  The only way back is if they pay him something with an incentive laced contract for 2007.

I just hope that if he is able to play again, it's here. I'd rather see him retire now, maybe prematurely, than play for any other team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
If he rebroke it, we have seen the last of Frank in a Sox uniform.  We won't pay him that much money to sit out another year.  The only way back is if they pay him something with an incentive laced contract for 2007.

if he re-fractured it after 7 months of rehab and playing for only for about 2 months, it may be time to hang them up.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
Anyone hear any specifics? We know how KW likes to keep things quiet. It must be something severe if they announced it before the deadline. Either that or Levineline leaked info he shouldn't have and KW is going to let him habe it.

I agree that KW is going to let Bruce Levine have it for reporting this. I know I would since now teams are going to know he's desperate for a bat. F'n Levine.

Anyway, Depending on how much the White Sox would pay of Griffey's contract, they could ask for anything between a Brandon McCarthy straight up to a Kris Honel if we were to pay all of his contract.

This actually could be a blessing. He wasn't going to be 100% anyway, and except for the homeruns, really added nothing offensively

Even hitting .220 Frank is still a more valuable hitter than anyone else the Sox have. A hell of a lot better than Everett or Gload, for sure.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
if he re-fractured it after 7 months of rehab and playing for only for about 2 months, it may be time to hang them up.

They mentioned the possibility of fusion surgery last winter. From what I was told fusion surgery would end his career.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
They have been winning most of the season without Frank. This actually could be a blessing. He wasn't going to be 100% anyway, and except for the homeruns, really added nothing offensively. Now, it appears KW will be forced to add a bat. The chances are that bat would be more effective down the stretch and hopefully into the playoffs than what Frank would have been able to provide at his ankle's top condition this season.

But he still basically made Paul Konerko better. Notice how when Frank was back, PK started heating up? That's because PK needs someone there. He's proven that he can't carry an offense and is one of those guys who's just good with other hitters around him.

If we don't get a big bat, we're officially f***ed. With that said, KW is probably working on a deal to get a big bat here. Hopefully he doesn't drastically overpay for anything though. He probably will have to now that Levine(I'm suspecting) leaked this info that shouldn't have been leaked.

Frank and Carl are both very streaky players now. The way I see it, they both have equal chance of heating up for 3 weeks in October. And even when Frank's hot now he pretty muhc just drives in runs with HRs. He didn't look so great when he was back other thna hitting a bunch of bombs off crappy pitching.

That said, its still too bad

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
They mentioned the possibility of fusion surgery last winter. From what I was told fusion surgery would end his career.

I agree. All these surgeries and recorvery time, plus the risk of re-injury. It may be time for The Hurt to call it a career, unfortunately.

Then let the HOF debates begin.

I disagree. Unless he was going to be able to keep that homerun pace up.

Assuming his home run pace went down somewhat, and his batting average went up somewhat, as was likely to happen, that keeps his OPS in the mid .900 range, or 100 points better than Pauly and 200 points better than Everett. Also, according to Baseball Prospectus Frank was the most valuable White Sox hitter on a per game basis this season, even with his sagging batting average (which is an overrated stat, to be sure).

I wouldn't mind seeing a trade for Huff now.

I think I'm in the minority thinking here but I'm kinda glad Frank isn't comming back this season. He is my favorite player of all time but the player I saw this season is not that man.

We need a more consistent bat than Frank's in the middle of our lineup.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
I agree.  All these surgeries and recorvery time, plus the risk of re-injury.  It may be time for The Hurt to call it a career, unfortunately.

Then let the HOF debates begin.

I'm almost leaning towards him just retiring now, because it's not worth having him come back again and getting hurt. We'll see.

It'd be crazy to hear him retire though. My 2nd favorite athlete (Reggie Miller) just retired last spring. If Frank were to be next, it'd be pretty weird.

Anyways, Frank: :gosox3: :notworthy :gosox2: :notworthy :gosox3: :notworthy :gosox2: :notworthy :gosox3:

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
I agree that KW is going to let Bruce Levine have it for reporting this. I know I would since now teams are going to know he's desperate for a bat. F'n Levine.

Anyway, Depending on how much the White Sox would pay of Griffey's contract, they could ask for anything between a Brandon McCarthy straight up to a Kris Honel if we were to pay all of his contract.

Don't you know that this is Levine's strategical plan to sabotage the White Sox's season! I bet now teams will ask for higher prices should we need to acquire a batter. Damn Levine!

They said all along the test results would be announced today, so it's not Levine's fault the story breaks today.

With or without Frank I think KW is looking for another bat.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)

It's possible but I don't think the fusion would necessarily end his career but it takes longer to come back from. You are looking at probably a 9-12 month rehab from a fusion, if return is possible.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
I wouldn't mind seeing a trade for Huff now.

I think I'm in the minority thinking here but I'm kinda glad Frank isn't comming back this season. He is my favorite player of all time but the player I saw this season is not that man.

We need a more consistent bat than Frank's in the middle of our lineup.

I'm blind to anything negative the guy does, and I agree Kalapse.

I got to post this stat one more time though. This is from when he went on the DL on the 21st.

The Sox have expanded their lead from 3½ to 11 games since Thomas returned on May 30.