Wagner Rumor from Phillies Post Game

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:38 AM)
An unreliable reliever and a prospect for a top 5 closer in baseball?  That's not so tough.

For a guy who's going to pitch, at most, 40 innings down the stretch?

Again... I'm not so sure. BTW, though Marte is still struggling, he's still striking out over ten per nine IP. He's been wild, but for the most part, has been able to overcome his wildness by his stuff.

It's a tough call. I'm glad I'm not the GM. Personally, I'd rather overpay for a bat -- someone who's going to effect this team every day, rather than once every three nights...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
Ick.

I hate deadline deals for relief pitchers.  They could really come back to bite you in the rear-end, especially if you're giving up a future position player/starting pitcher.

Marte and McCarthy for Wagner?  Sheesh...  that's a tough call.

I'd say I'm more against dealing for a MR @ the deadling then a closer.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)

Again...  I'm not so sure.  BTW, though Marte is still struggling, he's still striking out over ten per nine IP.  He's been wild, but for the most part, has been able to overcome his wildness by his stuff.

It's a tough call.  I'm glad I'm not the GM.  Personally, I'd rather overpay for a bat -- someone who's going to effect this team every day, rather than once every three nights...

shortening the game would do wonders for us.

especially w/ hermy's back.

We need some depth in the front end of that BP.

While i absolutely despise giving up McCarthy for a rental, atleast we'll be dealing him for the far-and-away best rental that's available. As we've discussed to no end on Soxtalk, Wagner would have a real impact on this Sox team and this deal epitomizes the idea that you have to trade the future for the now. Now if we could somehow pull Vizquel from SF, we'd have a very successful trade season, IMO.

McCarthy is what he is, a prospect right now.

Marte, while proven, has been overworked the past few seasons and is not the same pitcher this season.

If this deal is available, you do it, with this season in mind.

Wagner would be here the rest of the season, then he'd be gone.

But we'd also be able to shift Hermanson, Cotts and Politte down into the 7th and 8th inning roles with a horse at the back of the pen.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
McCarthy is what he is, a prospect right now.

Marte, while proven, has been overworked the past few seasons and is not the same pitcher this season.

If this deal is available, you do it, with this season in mind.

Wagner would be here the rest of the season, then he'd be gone.

But we'd also be able to shift Hermanson, Cotts and Politte down into the 7th and 8th inning roles with a horse at the back of the pen.

If all works well...

Jenks could also be in that mix in '06.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)

Again...  I'm not so sure.  BTW, though Marte is still struggling, he's still striking out over ten per nine IP.  He's been wild, but for the most part, has been able to overcome his wildness by his stuff.

It's a tough call.  I'm glad I'm not the GM.  Personally, I'd rather overpay for a bat -- someone who's going to effect this team every day, rather than once every three nights...

Marte has been able to overcome his wildness because another reliever cleans his mess up for him.

Trading McCarthy doesn't mean we can't get another trade for a bat. If the Phillies are willing to do this deal, I'd run with it in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)

40 innings that you know will be shutdown innings. 40 innings could mean 30 saves from Wagner. The guy is unbelievable. Rivera is kind of an important piece on the Yankees. Imagine that on our club. Wagner is that.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:52 AM)
Marte has been able to overcome his wildness because another reliever cleans his mess up for him.

Trading McCarthy doesn't mean we can't get another trade for a bat.  If the Phillies are willing to do this deal, I'd run with it in a heartbeat.

How so? Who becomes our main chip if we do a deal with McCarthy?

Anderson -- meh. He's good, but I doubt he's going to net the bat we need. Tracey? Not a chance. Sweeney? Eh -- he's putting up decent numbers, albeit in a pitcher's park, but I'm sure the lack of power is pretty discouraging.

I'm just thinking that overpaying for a bat would be a better option than overpaying for a bullpen arm.

I'm not as against this as I seem to be, just more, unsure -- that's a better word.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
How so?  Who becomes our main chip if we do a deal with McCarthy?

Anderson -- meh.  He's good, but I doubt he's going to net the bat we need.  Tracey?  Not a chance.  Sweeney?  Eh -- he's putting up decent numbers, albeit in a pitcher's park, but I'm sure the lack of power is pretty discouraging.

I'm just thinking that overpaying for a bat would be a better option than overpaying for a bullpen arm. 

I'm not as against this as I seem to be, just more, unsure -- that's a better word.

put a few of those guys together that you mentioned and they'll have a deal.

I'm sorry for all you minors guys, but this is OUR year. This is our best chance to do it since 93.

Overpay, it'll be worth it.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
How so?  Who becomes our main chip if we do a deal with McCarthy?

Anderson -- meh.  He's good, but I doubt he's going to net the bat we need.  Tracey?  Not a chance.  Sweeney?  Eh -- he's putting up decent numbers, albeit in a pitcher's park, but I'm sure the lack of power is pretty discouraging.

I'm sure KW could throw a deal together using 2 or 3 of those prospects...hell, maybe even more.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
I don't buy this at all.  Phillies are in the race for the WC, and they've been telling their fans they won't trade Wagner.  I'm calling BS.

they need starters, bad.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
I don't buy this at all.  Phillies are in the race for the WC, and they've been telling their fans they won't trade Wagner.  I'm calling BS.

How are they giving up? They have Marte in the pen to replace Wagner and they have Urbina to close. They gain a top level pitching prospect which they desperately need for someone who was going to leave after the season. They lost nothing in their eyes and gained a top oitchign prospect.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)

The Phillies will lose him regardless...plus with the comments he's recently made, he's not very liked right now...

There's a huge difference between Wagner and Marte. I like Marte, but he's not throwing the ball well at all this season. Wagner is the type of closer you need in the launching pad they play in. I do agree with the thought that McCarthy could be used to get AJB then.