Jenks-Sweeney Conversation

In today's Trib or Times, I forget which, they talked about last week's game when Jenks was walking back to the dugout and Sweeney crossed in front of him. You could see that Sweeney said something to Jenks. The paper today quoted Jenks as saying that Sweeney told him words to this effect: keep throwing hard, kid, you have great stuff, and a big future. Jenks said it meant a lot to him, and he'll remember that when things don't always go his way.

As I recall Hawk and DJ were guessing at that time that Sweeney was giving Jenks encouragement. Makes Sweeney a real class act.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
In today's Trib or Times, I forget which, they talked about last week's game when Jenks was walking back to the dugout and Sweeney crossed in front of him. You could see that Sweeney said something to Jenks. The paper today quoted Jenks as saying that Sweeney told him words to this effect: keep throwing hard, kid, you have great stuff, and a big future. Jenks said it meant a lot to him, and he'll remember that when things don't always go his way.

As I recall Hawk and DJ were guessing at that time that Sweeney was giving Jenks encouragement. Makes Sweeney a real class act.

That's great to know. I've always heard good things about Sweeney.

(Now if we could just learn to pitch around him!) :P

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
Hmm, didn't really seem like the confrontation was long enought for Sweeney to say all that. Maybe "Nice thorwing, kid" but maybe I'm wrong...

Wow !

I wish Sweeney played for the White Sox ! :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
If he could ever play a full season he would be anyway.  But I agree, Sweeny is a class act and one hell of a hitter.

1/2 season of Sweeney is still better thank Konerko. I dunno. Some wouldn;t like a trade of Sweeney here to the Sox or as an offseason acquisition but I would love it. He is clutch, PK is not. He is downgrade at 1B but we could just as easily put him at DH.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
The team is filled with 21-23 year olds, and Sweeney is the perfect guy to have in the clubhouse with them. Mike isn't going anywhere for a while.

The team would love to trade him I think, but no team out there is going to take on a $11 million or so a year contract for a guy who can't stay healthy. His name is in trade rumors every year, but the fact always ends up being that the Royals don't want to trade him without getting back prospects and having the other team pick up the tab, and for a guy as injury-prone as sweeney, that just won't happen.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
The team would love to trade him I think, but no team out there is going to take on a $11 million or so a year contract for a guy who can't stay healthy.  His name is in trade rumors every year, but the fact always ends up being that the Royals don't want to trade him without getting back prospects and having the other team pick up the tab, and for a guy as injury-prone as sweeney, that just won't happen.

It's been said a lot that the Royals don't want to trade him because of what he does for the community.

Heres the thing. He is going to go down as one of those players whose legacy will be that of a great player buried on a s***ty team, in a s***ty city. There are many like him, in many different sports, and its a shame. If he played for the yankees or the red sox, they would be showing his stats with reverence, but instead, he will be forgotten.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
1/2 season of Sweeney is still better thank Konerko. I dunno. Some wouldn;t like a trade of Sweeney here to the Sox or as an offseason acquisition but I would love it. He is clutch, PK is not. He is downgrade at 1B but we could just as easily put him at DH.

I'm sorry but half a season of Mike Sweeney is not better than a full season of Paul Konerko. You are just extremely undervaluing Konerko's value there. FWIW, Konerko's BA/RISP has been steadily increasing over the past couple of weeks.

Great article. I remember in '03, checking out the Royals MLB board, Sweeney actually posted on there a few times (and yes, it was him). Very religious guy from reading his main note/post. I also heard on the Sox/Royals broadcast that Sweeney had asked Runelvys if hitting Carlos Guillen (Det/KC brawl) was intentional, to which Elvys replied it was not. Apparentl, Sweeney called Carlos Guillen to let him know that there was no bad intent and would hope that there's no hard feelings. Classy, definitely classy.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
Yeah Ive heard Sweeney does a lot for the community... he is the only player that really deserves that C on their jersey... Variteck and Jeter arent real captains.

Why is Varitek not a real captain?

QUOTE(GBlum## @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:55 AM)
Why is Varitek not a real captain?

He doesnt really lead the team..... and I dont think the players really look at him as the leader like Manny or Schilling....

With Sweeney partly because of him being such a great guy and part because he is on a very young team i bet everyone in the KC clubhouse looks up to him.