Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
Notre Dame fears a tough schedule beginning to end.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
Irish are in at #41  :ph34r:

Just to list some irish opponents: #1 USC, #3 Tennesee, #4 Michigan, #16 Purdue, #25 Pittsburgh.

Welcome to ND, Charlie.

Yep, we certainly fear a "tough" schedule. All those top 25 teams sure are pushovers. :P We consistetly have one of the hardest schedules in the nation EVERY year. The big conference teams can't really say that (Nebraska, I'm looking in your general direction).

And ND will NEVER join the big 10. For many reasons: they don't NEED a conference when they're on national tv every week, they have their own tie-ins to the BCS, they DO share bowl money now but the BCS kicksback money to ND every year they don't make a BCS, and as much as everyone may think otherwise...they're still an elite program that can hang by themselves.

Also, I think I specifically remember the last time this whole Big 10/ND thing was talked about (in reality) Michigan and Ohio State were highly against it since it would clog up their plans of winning the Big 10 every year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for greasy's post (sorry about the delay, just moved back to campus) I think we've got a good shot at 7 wins. 6 is a little more of a conservative estimate, but it's also a possibility. I think our offense will surprise some people since nearly every offensive starter is returning. The big question is the defense and the overall depth of the team. We're very thin (thank you, Tyrone Willingham) and injuries could cripple us. The secondary has always been a question mark but I think our safeties will have quality seasons. If one or two players could breakout on defense, we may be in for a great year.

I know it's a lot of ifs but anything can happen in college football and I fully believe that I will see a major upset at home this year (USC is a longshot, but Tennesee can be had). Either way I'm crazy pumped for our opener against Pitt.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 12:09 AM)
Yep, we certainly fear a "tough" schedule. All those top 25 teams sure are pushovers.  :P We consistetly have one of the hardest schedules in the nation EVERY year. The big conference teams can't really say that (Nebraska, I'm looking in your general direction).

I realize ND usually has Michigan, USC, and some others, but I'm talking Stanford, Navy, BYU, and Syracuse.

SUrprised no Air Force to TRY and beat up on this season.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
I realize ND usually has Michigan, USC, and some others, but I'm talking Stanford, Navy, BYU, and Syracuse.

SUrprised no Air Force to TRY and beat up on this season.

Well yes, we have unranked opponents...we can't play everyone. But to say that our schedule would be harder if we were in the Big 10 is downright laughable. There are years in the big 10 where teams get to dodge other top teams (read: Purdue this year). Add in the fact that there's only about three elite teams in the big 10 (mich, iowa, ohio state) then at most you have 3 big games a year (usually dodge one of those teams, add a decent non-con game and you're set). The rest of the games are winnable. Whereas ND has to open the season at Pitt, then goto Michigan and so on. And the teams that aren't ranked are all major conference teams (sans Navy, but we have tradition to uphold there). There's no western michigan on our schedule as a "tune up."

QUOTE(Fotop @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
Yep, we certainly fear a "tough" schedule. All those top 25 teams sure are pushovers.  :P We consistetly have one of the hardest schedules in the nation EVERY year. The big conference teams can't really say that (Nebraska, I'm looking in your general direction).

And ND will NEVER join the big 10. For many reasons: they don't NEED a conference when they're on national tv every week, they have their own tie-ins to the BCS, they DO share bowl money now but the BCS kicksback money to ND every year they don't make a BCS, and as much as everyone may think otherwise...they're still an elite program that can hang by themselves.

Also, I think I specifically remember the last time this whole Big 10/ND thing was talked about (in reality) Michigan and Ohio State were highly against it since it would clog up their plans of winning the Big 10 every year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for greasy's post (sorry about the delay, just moved back to campus) I think we've got a good shot at 7 wins. 6 is a little more of a conservative estimate, but it's also a possibility. I think our offense will surprise some people since nearly every offensive starter is returning. The big question is the defense and the overall depth of the team. We're very thin (thank you, Tyrone Willingham) and injuries could cripple us. The secondary has always been a question mark but I think our safeties will have quality seasons. If one or two players could breakout on defense, we may be in for a great year.

I know it's a lot of ifs but anything can happen in college football and I fully believe that I will see a major upset at home this year (USC is a longshot, but Tennesee can be had). Either way I'm crazy pumped for our opener against Pitt.

The offense has a lot of weapons and I think that alone will lead them to pull a few bigger upsets. However, their lack of depth on defense is going to hurt them big time against a team like USC (and their offense) and potentially Michigan (I think they got a really solid looking offense with Henne).

Still, I'm excited to see Weiss implimenent a hopefully effective west coast scheme (since Tyrone's scheme never really worked out). However, if Quinn gets hurt, the Irish are screwed.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
Well yes, we have unranked opponents...we can't play everyone. But to say that our schedule would be harder if we were in the Big 10 is downright laughable. There are years in the big 10 where teams get to dodge other top teams (read: Purdue this year). Add in the fact that there's only about three elite teams in the big 10 (mich, iowa, ohio state) then at most you have 3 big games a year (usually dodge one of those teams, add a decent non-con game and you're set). The rest of the games are winnable. Whereas ND has to open the season at Pitt, then goto Michigan and so on. And the teams that aren't ranked are all major conference teams (sans Navy, but we have tradition to uphold there). There's no western michigan on our schedule as a "tune up."

Hell I'm a Hawkeye fan but they get tuneups like Drake, etc. Big 10 teams also have some cupcakes on their schedule. I'm with you fotop, the SOS bit isn't the reason ND isn't joining a major conference like the big 10.

The #1-20 reasons are finances and ND makes way too much money by being independent and has no reason to join a conference (even though as a fan I think it would be quite interesting to have them in a conference).

Of course if they were in the big 10, my allegiances would be hurting with Iowa and ND battling each other (my two college teams).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
Hell I'm a Hawkeye fan but they get tuneups like Drake, etc.  Big 10 teams also have some cupcakes on their schedule.  I'm with you fotop, the SOS bit isn't the reason ND isn't joining a major conference like the big 10.

The #1-20 reasons are finances and ND makes way too much money by being independent and has no reason to join a conference (even though as a fan I think it would be quite interesting to have them in a conference).

Of course if they were in the big 10, my allegiances would be hurting with Iowa and ND battling each other (my two college teams).

They ain't going as far down as Drake. Ball State and a Northern Iowa team whose QB is a poker buddy of mine. :)

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
I'm not gonna get into the semantics of it, but there's a definite difference between the Gateway Conference and the Pioneer League.

Dear God, I'm arguing I-AA football....

if iowa loses to a 1-aa team they shjould be kick out of the big ten, seriously they could play the best 1aa team and still woop em, so what difference does it make

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
They ain't going as far down as Drake. Ball State and a Northern Iowa team whose QB is a poker buddy of mine. :)

There's no defense for Ball State, but you can't hold the UNI game against the Hawks. They had a game scheduled with Mizzou. But the Tigers pussied out after seeing Iowa run off back to back 10 win seasons. They had to scramble to fill the schedule.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
I know. I like the in-state games. Not quite the same thing as basketball, but still nifty.

In basketball I'm worried about the in-state games. NIU, ISU, Drake...they all seem to be capable and do knock the Hawks off from time to time. Especially the Clones.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
I'm not gonna get into the semantics of it, but there's a definite difference between the Gateway Conference and the Pioneer League.

Dear God, I'm arguing I-AA football....

My Salukis are ranked #3 preseason! :headbang

Last two years they lost in the 1st round after good seasons.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
My Salukis are ranked #3 preseason!  :headbang

Last two years they lost in the 1st round after good seasons.

I go to NIU, and your guys gave us the scare of our lives last year, and as Huskie Stadium no less, where we never lose (except to Toledo :angry: )

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
I go to NIU, and your guys gave us the scare of our lives last year, and as Huskie Stadium no less, where we never lose (except to Toledo  :angry: )

Yep, Coach Kill went for the W, instead of the tie and failed. I can't blame him.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
I go to NIU, and your guys gave us the scare of our lives last year, and as Huskie Stadium no less, where we never lose (except to Toledo  :angry: )

whitesoxfan101... i am a senior at NIU, where do you live... i just moved out of my apartment on Spiros Ct, off of Hillcrest... but will be to every game at Huskie stadium, and the opener against michigan and week 3 against northwestern!!!

RED!!! BLACK!!! RED!!! BLACK!!!

Edited by Steve9347

Ah, the joy of being an Indiana graduate...

You sit around the whole college football season saving money because you have no reason to purchase that package from DirecTV, getting more sleep on Saturday, and b****ing about Mike Davis.

Thanks to Joe Tiller, IU now has by far the longest streak in the big ten of years since a Rose Bowl appearance. It's like 30 years now.