Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
Lymon has been in the J and C (Local Paper here) it seems like every day. Finally they announced last week he was ineligible.

BTW, check out the knew ND sig.  Hell yes

Now THAT's a Sig. Cheers. :cheers

QUOTE(Fotop @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:44 AM)
well judging by your birthday...you're too young to remember when ND dominated EVERYONE (hell I'm too young as well, the Holtz Era was a little before my time but not TOO much...i could comprehend things in '93). so i'll take your ignorance with a grain of salt.

But I guess if you want to jump to conclusions about ND, at least do it for the right reasons. The schedule being hard wouldn't be a good place to start if you're trying to say that we'll never win another National Championship. I mean how can you say ND's schedule is going to be hard in 5 years, 10 years, etc. You can't. So i don't see how that correlates because you don't know the quality of your opponents until maybe a year before you play them.

All teams go through cycles, I doubt you remember when USC sucked...or when Miami sucked...or when Oklahoma sucked but guess what they did for one time or another. The thing about ND up until recent memory is that we NEVER went through that cycle. Since we are now, everyone wants to put us in the ground. But guess what, elite programs survive the test of time. So as I've been saying, we may not win this year, or maybe next, but it's coming and it's coming soon. ND will be on top again...I can say that with full confidence (even though i may be biased).

good points, fotop.

In addition to USC, Miami and Oklahoma, you can add Alabama, Nebraska and Penn State. Like Notre Dame now, those teams are down and have been powerhouses in the past. Tennessee has always been solid, but Florida has had its down times. I'm sure I have forgotten others as well.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:25 AM)
I love the Colts, but two Hawks are enough. :P

I'd take Hodge or Greenway any day. It would finally rid the team of the MLB problem it has had since 2000 (when Morris was drafted in the 1st round :puke). I may not be a Hawkeye fan, but I'll take their talent.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Let the cleanup from the dirty Holtz era begin...

Those "major" infractions are laughable at best. I know many people are just looking for a reason to throw Holtz under the bus, but please, this is ridiculous. The NCAA investigates us for 3 years, and this is what they come up with? Nice to see the funds used in such a meaningful way.

Iowa State held a students-only vieweing of a scrimmage this year. A number of things I notcied.

#1 Dan McCarney is a god. Got more cheers than any player and he's finally convinced the majority of fans, 11 years in, that he can work magic. "When I got here, this place was the biggest mess in college football. Now, we're heading someplace special."

#2 ISU is in real trouble in Meyer goes down and Flynn stays at WR. I've never been a big Bret Meyer fan, but if he is hurt, the team is done for unless Flynn comes back as the emergency QB.

#3 Kicking has finally improved. The walkon from last year who missed the FG against Mizzou was solid and all FG's within 45 yards were made.

#4 Anyone who watched any ISU football here (probably not many) knew what Ellis Hobbs meant to the team. It seems the Big 12 defensive newcomer of the year, Tim Dobbins, wants to be the heart of the D. Also, a very funny guy.

#5 The team wants to play Iowa, and badly. Coach Mac talked about Illinois State, but every player mentioned the Iowa game and the host of the program donned a "Beat Iowa" shirt.

I can't wait til Sept. 10. Iowa may be heavily favored, but it should be a hell of a game.

I still have no idea why Iowa didn't get Blythe. For being a top 15 school, Iowa has way too much trouble competing with ISU for in-state recruits. ISU got ALL top 5 recruits in the state the past season. Of course, Iowa has been recruiting big stars from out of state, but you still need to go after in state guys.

Some odds for opening weekend for some teams of interest here:

Minnesota -15.5 over Tulsa

Indiana -8 over Central Michigan

Wisconsin -2.5 over Bowling Green...interesting. Is Bowling Green suppose to be better than I thought?

Iowa -39 over Ball St.

Michigan -18 over Northern Illinois

Penn St. -22 over South Florida

USC -35 over Hawaii

Pittsburgh -3 over Notre Dame...This should be a good game.

If anyone is interested, I started a College Football Pick Em on yahoo fantasy sports. It's free, just have to have a Yahoo! ID.

Private group name is Soxtalk.com...Group ID# 18696

password is konerko

The most we can have is 50 people play. Confidence point system

I know it is kind of late notice but I just got the urge! Sign up fast!!!!

Wouldn't let me start a thread in here to tell people so it is the Contest folder.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
I'm taking Ball State and the points.

Iowa doesn't score alot.

Ferentz isn't the type of guy to run up the score.

Seems like a good bet.

I dunno, I'd be surprised if Iowa didn't win by 6 touchdowns, I honestly would.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
I got a whole $20 riding on BG to beat Wiscy.

Should be a good game to watch before I watch NIU destroy Michigan (Michigan absolutely kill NIU)  :crying

where does the illinois rutgers game fit into your viewing schedule? :P