Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
I think West Virginia might be.  Pat White has to improve as a passer but if he does that look out.

Between the people they have back and the conference they play in, I could definitely see WVU finishing 11-0 and #2 in the BCS next year.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
Unless the Notre Dame defense magically finds a bunch of starter calibur players with speed, they aren't going to be the #2 team in the nation next year.

At least some of hte people @ ESPN have said that's exactly what they've been recruiting, TIFWIW.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
let's look at fairly.  Yes they stunk however they didn't have Mike Hart for most of the season at 70% health (whether you like him or not is an impact player and one of the best RB's in College Football).  If they had Mike Hart they might of won the Wisconsin game and won the Notre Dame game.  The O-Line was banged up with a ton of injuries.  If they remain healthy and the defense continues to progress they will be a top ten team next year.

Yeah, and if the cubs were healthy they would win the world series.

Mike Hart is not the difference maker you make him out to be.

Top ten they are not, top 25, maybe.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
Yeah, and if the cubs were healthy they would win the world series.

Mike Hart is not the difference maker you make him out to be.

Top ten they are not, top 25, maybe.

Mike Hart is the best RB in the Big Ten. If you didn't see the difference between Michigan when they had him 100% healthy in the MSU game and the Wisconsin game where he didn't play you are blind.

Mike Hart plays defense?

That was the only way they were stopping Calhoun.

As for the rankings, they are just nonsense.

The top 3 Big 10 teams won, OSU almost beat Texas the best team in the country, and yet the Irish are ranked 2?

Dont believe the hype.

SB

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
honestly, after the amazingly exciting bowl season we've had this year, I have a feeling this is going to turn out to be a dud.

I know i'm late but I just got back.

If your asking yourself, "doesn't he ever get sick of being wrong?"

the answer is.......yes, i am very sick of myself

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
Just a random question: If Troy Smith played the whole game against Texas, are we talking about OSU as national champs today?

If smith didnt take the money, there is no way they dont beat Texas.

Hart being the RB in the big ten-ha!

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
Mike Hart plays defense?

That was the only way they were stopping Calhoun.

As for the rankings, they are just nonsense.

The top 3 Big 10 teams won, OSU almost beat Texas the best team in the country, and yet the Irish are ranked 2?

Dont believe the hype.

SB

there was a key fumble that led to a Wisconsin scoring drive. Mike Hart never fumbles the ball. Also he would've given them more of a running game against Wisconsin which probably woud've led to more points.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
If smith didnt take the money, there is no way they dont beat Texas.

Hart being the RB in the big ten-ha!

who is better. Wait i guess you hate Michigan enough that you can't recognize that they have a very very good player. Hell Troy Smith is probably the best QB in the Big Ten.

My quick assessment of the top few teams for next year (not necessarily in order, things may change between now and next year)...

Texas- top 3 if Vince comes back, but I don't think they're the undisputed #1 that people are making them out to be. They lose two fabulous offensive lineman and pretty much all of their impact defensive players. Young can do a lot on his own, but they'll have to win more shootouts next year if some defensive players don't show up.

USC- definitely top 3, but part of it depends on who stays and goes. If Bush or White come back, they should probably be the #1 team pre-season. Their offensive line will still be very good, their receiving core will be solid even if Smith goes (haven't heard anything supporting that), and Booty is a very talented QB that can step in fairly easily. The defense should be better despite losing a few starters thanks to a lot of gifted underclassmen on the roster.

OSU- The offense obviously should be pretty good. Smith, Ginn, and Pittman should do a lot of damage, although another receiver will have to step up without Holmes. The defense has to fill some major holes in the front 7, although the secondary returns a few pretty good players.

Notre Dame- The offense looks like it will be very good, although the line probably won't be quite as good. The defense still needs some work. Their secondary is not very good outside of Zbikowski, they will have some new LB's to break in, and their line is only decent (Abiamari and Landri are pretty good, need some others to step up). I'm not sure they have the horses to make a major improvement on defense like USC does.

West Virginia- Do they even have a defense? All I saw anytime I watched them was White and Slaton running wild. I can't imagine that'll work for another entire season, especially if they make it to another major bowl game. Their schedule does work in their favor, however.

LSU- I don't know about that one. The offense looks like it has some talent, but the defense loses several valuable players. I don't think their offense has anywhere near as much punch as some of these other teams, so their defense better find some replacements for Wroten, Williams, and Vaughn.

Florida- I would have felt better about their offense if Jackson were back. That leaves Caldwell as the only proven receiver, and he's coming off an ACL injury. I'm also not entirely sold on their defense. They did fairly well this year, but they don't seem to have any star power.

Auburn- They bring back Cox and Irons, and McClover and Groves are beasts at the end spots. They need some tackles and linebackers though.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily list them as a top 10 team right now, but I still like Penn State. Morelli was a very talented passer coming out of high school and he's had some time to develop and learn the offense. He's got some weapons coming back around him. Derrick Williams is going to have a big year. Pozluzny will probably be back because of his knee injury, and he should reek some havok along with Connor. King will probably move to corner, which gives them some major talent at that spot. They need to shore up the line in order for those guys to matter however.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Yah but personally I think Calhoun is the best RB Wisconsin has had in the last 7 years, and that includes Dayne, Bennet, and Anthony Davis.

I also would say that Sutton and Maroney are better than Hart.

Maroney is entering the draft, so he's out. Calhoun definitely gets my vote for best back in the Big Ten, that guy can play. Sutton is an interesting argument. Hart might have more polish, but Sutton is definitely a more electrifying runner and is a capable receiver. If he can actually hold onto the ball next year, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
who is better.  Wait i guess you hate Michigan enough that you can't recognize that they have a very very good player.  Hell Troy Smith is probably the best QB in the Big Ten.

Nah Kyle Orton is better.

According to QB ratings yes, Troy smith is the best QB in the big ten with his 162.66. If you were thinking Henne, he was ranked 7th.

Running backs that were or are better than Hart

Since you will proabably point to Hart being out several games, so we cant use full season compiled stats to debate that, so we could use Yard/Carry.

Hart was ranked 18th, even below Troy smith. Hart DID have 150 carries and there were players that had less and compiled more yards and TD's.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
My quick assessment of the top few teams for next year (not necessarily in order, things may change between now and next year)...

Texas- top 3 if Vince comes back, but I don't think they're the undisputed #1 that people are making them out to be. They lose two fabulous offensive lineman and pretty much all of their impact defensive players. Young can do a lot on his own, but they'll have to win more shootouts next year if some defensive players don't show up.

USC- definitely top 3, but part of it depends on who stays and goes. If Bush or White come back, they should probably be the #1 team pre-season. Their offensive line will still be very good, their receiving core will be solid even if Smith goes (haven't heard anything supporting that), and Booty is a very talented QB that can step in fairly easily. The defense should be better despite losing a few starters thanks to a lot of gifted underclassmen on the roster.

OSU- The offense obviously should be pretty good. Smith, Ginn, and Pittman should do a lot of damage, although another receiver will have to step up without Holmes. The defense has to fill some major holes in the front 7, although the secondary returns a few pretty good players.

Notre Dame- The offense looks like it will be very good, although the line probably won't be quite as good. The defense still needs some work. Their secondary is not very good outside of Zbikowski, they will have some new LB's to break in, and their line is only decent (Abiamari and Landri are pretty good, need some others to step up). I'm not sure they have the horses to make a major improvement on defense like USC does.

West Virginia- Do they even have a defense? All I saw anytime I watched them was White and Slaton running wild. I can't imagine that'll work for another entire season, especially if they make it to another major bowl game. Their schedule does work in their favor, however.

LSU- I don't know about that one. The offense looks like it has some talent, but the defense loses several valuable players. I don't think their offense has anywhere near as much punch as some of these other teams, so their defense better find some replacements for Wroten, Williams, and Vaughn.

Florida- I would have felt better about their offense if Jackson were back. That leaves Caldwell as the only proven receiver, and he's coming off an ACL injury. I'm also not entirely sold on their defense. They did fairly well this year, but they don't seem to have any star power.

Auburn- They bring back Cox and Irons, and McClover and Groves are beasts at the end spots. They need some tackles and linebackers though.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily list them as a top 10 team right now, but I still like Penn State. Morelli was a very talented passer coming out of high school and he's had some time to develop and learn the offense. He's got some weapons coming back around him. Derrick Williams is going to have a big year. Pozluzny will probably be back because of his knee injury, and he should reek some havok along with Connor. King will probably move to corner, which gives them some major talent at that spot. They need to shore up the line in order for those guys to matter however.

Texas is still getting a top flight lineman in the country coming in next year and Bush is not returning to USC. He's made that known already. If Young is back, Texas is #1 without a doubt.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
Yah but personally I think Calhoun is the best RB Wisconsin has had in the last 7 years, and that includes Dayne, Bennet, and Anthony Davis.

I also would say that Sutton and Maroney are better than Hart.

I don't think Sutton is better and Maroney=He Gone. Sutton has a problem with fumbling the ball. He is an explosive runner but I don't think he is as proven as Hart. Maroney was the best in 05 but he entered the draft. Mike Hart when he was healthy gained 626 yards in 5 games. He is an impact player. He also hasn't fumbled the ball in like 363 rushing attempts.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Texas is still getting a top flight lineman in the country coming in next year and Bush is not returning to USC. He's made that known already. If Young is back, Texas is #1 without a doubt.

My bet is that Young bails. He DID change his stance from definatley coming back to "talking it over with my family." Want to know what my family would say, "I would like a new Lexus, a new house, and a vacation, have fun in the NFL, I will be in the hot tub."

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
My bet is that Young bails.  He DID change his stance from definatley coming back to "talking it over with my family."  Want to know what my family would say, "I would like a new Lexus, a new house, and a vacation, have fun in the NFL, I will be in the hot tub."

they might say finish college. He will be a top 10 pick either way. Edited by White Sox Josh

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
I don't think Sutton is better and Maroney=He Gone.  Sutton has a problem with fumbling the ball.  He is an explosive runner but I don't think he is as proven as Hart. Maroney was the best in 05 but he entered the draft.  Mike Hart when he was healthy gained 626 yards in 5 games.  He is an impact player.  He also hasn't fumbled the ball in  like 363 rushing attempts.

How is he not as proven. Hart had 1 good season, his fresh year, and Sutton had one good season. How is Hart all of a sudden this "proven" RB? In his second year he had 150 rushing attempts, 662 yards and 4 TD's roughly the same stats as Chris Taylor from IU. s*** heres something for the U of I boys, Pierre Thomas had less rushing attempts, more yards and more TD's.

Edited by RockRaines