ESPN Insider - Griffey Interest

SkokieSox

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
I think that the Yankees, BoSox, and the Angels would block us from getting Griffey.  The White Sox wont get Griffey PERIOD.

There's no logic to that statement, do some research before saying stuff like that. Griffey will clear waivers with ease.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the Yankees, BoSox, and the Angels would block us from getting Griffey.  The White Sox wont get Griffey PERIOD.

I think the one team listed that could use him (Yankees) is maxed out this year on thier spending, the Red Sox dont have the money to spend, and dont have the necassary wiggle room because of the waiver aspect, and the Angels are already paying a few DH/Outfield(Guerrero, Finley, Kotchman, Anderson, the Molina brothers both DH) types alot of money for their work.

If it would be anyone, I think it would be the Yankees who would take Griffey. But I just dont think they could raise their payroll that much.

Wow, I never thought i would say that.

I think I can sum this up.

Reds: Let's put Griffey through waivers to trade him to the White Sox so we can get his s***ty contract off the books.

/Griffey reaches Yankees

Yankees: AHA! We'll block the White Sox from getting better. We'll put in a claim for Griffey.

Reds: Take him...and his contract ;)

Yankees: :o ................f***!

Reds: Tehehehe

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
I think I can sum this up.

Reds:  Let's put Griffey through waivers to trade him to the White Sox so we can get his s***ty contract off the books.

/Griffey reaches Yankees

Yankees:  AHA!  We'll block the White Sox from getting better.  We'll put in a claim for Griffey.

Reds:  Take him...and his contract ;)

Yankees: :o ................f***!

Reds:  Tehehehe

LOL. I thought the imagined conversation between Chuck Lamarr and Kenny Williams was the best, but that was funny as well. ;)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
There's no logic to that statement, do some research before saying stuff like that. Griffey will clear waivers with ease.

The Yankees would not hesitate to get Griffey. They have been open about thier disappointment with Williams play and he recently injured his shoulder during the weekend so it wouldnt suprise me if they tried getting him or atleast seriously considered it. Money is not an issue with the Yankees and everyone knows how desperate they are.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
.  Money is not an issue with the Yankees and everyone knows how desperate they are.

If money isnt an issue, then why didnt the Yankees just take Griffey at the non-waiver deadline when they didnt have to worry about him clearing waivers?

The Yankees payroll has cleared 200 million. We can joke about how they have an endless money supply, but noone does, that is ridiculous. They still have to pay a luxury tax, they have to actually watch their pennies this year.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
If money isnt an issue, then why didnt the Yankees just take Griffey at the non-waiver deadline when they didnt have to worry about him clearing waivers?

The Yankees payroll has cleared 200 million.  We can joke about how they have an endless money supply, but noone does, that is ridiculous.  They still have to pay a luxury tax, they have to actually watch their pennies this year.

Or why didn't they sign Beltran?

Kalapse made great, valid points. This guy is all conjecture.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
The Yankees would not hesitate to get Griffey.  They have been open about thier disappointment with Williams play and he recently injured his shoulder during the weekend so it wouldnt suprise me if they tried getting him or atleast seriously considered it.  Money is not an issue with the Yankees and everyone knows how desperate they are.

If money wasn't an issue why did they aquire Shawn Chacon, Al Leiter, and Buddy Groom at the trading deadline instead of guys like Jason Schmidt, AJ Burnett, and Billy Wagner? If the Yankees had payroll left, they wouldn't have been scavenging the waiver wires for pitchers, they would have been going out and getting them, not to mention picking up a CF to replace Williams.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Or why didn't they sign Beltran?

Kalapse made great, valid points.  This guy is all conjecture.

No, actually its opinion :nono I realize now I made a mistake but Id appreciate it if you didnt say im all guess. I think I make some valid points in this board. Kalapse did make some good points though. Appreciate it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
If money wasn't an issue why did they aquire Shawn Chacon, Al Leiter, and Buddy Groom at the trading deadline instead of guys like Jason Schmidt, AJ Burnett, and Billy Wagner?  If the Yankees had payroll left, they wouldn't have been scavenging the waiver wires for pitchers, they would have been going out and getting them, not to mention picking up a CF to replace Williams.

Thanks for clearing it up. I appreciate it.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
No, actually its opinion :nono I realize now I made a mistake but Id appreciate it if you didnt say im all guess.  I think I make some valid points in this board. Kalapse did make some good points though.  Appreciate it.

con·jec·ture ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn-jkchr)

n.

Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence; guesswork.

A statement, opinion, or conclusion based on guesswork

Aug 8 On Saturday, Williams jammed his right shoulder making a sliding catch on a ball hit by Toronto's Reed Johnson late in New York's loss to the Jays. Stiffness in the shoulder kept Williams from playing for the Yankees on Sunday.

Williams said he would go for some tests if the shoulder didn't feel better when he awoke on Monday morning. The Yankees host the Chicago White Sox for a three-game set that begins on Monday, and Williams isn't certain to be ready to return for the series opener.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Williams has been a bum all season, how does his current health change their financial situation?

Actually it only reenforces Kalapse's and I's points. If the Yankees did indeed have payroll to spend, they would have aquired/ or being trying to aquire someone like Griffey. We saw how little the Reds were asking, and we know the Yankees could come up with something, maybe even less than the Sox offered, if they were willing to pick up all of the $50 million left in the KGJ contract.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
1)Dunn would get blocked by the first team in the waiver process.

2)If you think Griffey costs alot, then Dunn is going to give you a heartattack in what he's going to cost.

3)Dunn K's too much. That's the reason we want Griffey. We don't want inning ending K's. Griffey is a guy who could move guys over. Dunn is a better version of PK I suppose. I'd take Griffey over that anyday.

1. See my post. They'll both be blocked.

2. Dunn is not free agent eligible, and he won't make Griffey money in arby. He's making 4.6 mil this yr.

If you're talking prospects, I'm unconcerned. I'm interested in winning the World Series this year, not 3 years from now.

3. Dunn has K'ed 40 more times than Griffey. He's also walked 29 more times. His OPS is .100 points higher than Griffey's, .114 greater than Kong's. That is a fairly significant difference. If you're going to compare someone to Kong, it had best be Griffey. Neither is in Dunn's league in overall production right now, and Dunn hasn't hit his prime yet.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Ha, you seem to be awfully offended.  Are you Bruce Levine's son?

Obviously not, but I'm tired of people hating on other people in the media when they probably have no idea what their job entails.

Most people seem to hate radio personalities for no other reason besides they are on the radio.

QUOTE(ISF @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
1. See my post. They'll both be blocked.

2. Dunn is not free agent eligible, and he won't make Griffey money in arby. He's making 4.6 mil this yr.

If you're talking prospects, I'm unconcerned. I'm interested in winning the World Series this year, not 3 years from now.

3. Dunn has K'ed 40 more times than Griffey. He's also walked 29 more times. His OPS is .100 points higher than Griffey's,  .114 greater than Kong's. That is a fairly significant difference. If you're going to compare someone to Kong, it had best be Griffey. Neither is in Dunn's league in overall production right now, and Dunn hasn't hit his prime yet.

I know Dunn is a cheap player. That's why he'll cost tons in prospects. Griffey is all we need. You have to go for it all, but you still have to protect yourself. Face it. If this team sucks in 3 years, no one will show up at the Cell. We can't have that. Dunn would cost two great prospects and another good one. I'd say it would probably cost BMac, Chris Young, & Lumsden. That's alot compared to Young, Rogo, & some lower tier guy.

And I was comparing Dunn's K'ing to PK's. 40 times more is a killer. Especially for this team. We need someone who could hit lefties and guys who are equally as good against Righties. That's Griffey.

There's no way the NYY$'s will claim Griffey Jr. None. The Boss was last quoted as saying Cub 1B Derrick Lee is the team's #1 priority after 2006.

They intent to offer him no less than a $100M contract.

When you think of the high priced CFers (Jones, Hunter, Cameron) the NYY$'s can likely get their hands on for 2006 it makes no sense for them to risk that kind of money on a player who's health mirrors that of Nomar.

Pitching-wise the NYY$'s do not look strong enough to win the ALCS or the WS. Cashman knows this. He's not going to take such a risk in what appears to be an underperforming year for the team.

As for BOS, or LAA they simply do not have the $ available to take on Griffey Jr's contract. A team out of the NLW is more likely to thwart the White Sox but because the White Sox have strength in the OF position in the minors they might be able to deal with that team.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

I doubt any NL team would be foolish enough to claim Griffey to play CF, esp. with his injury history. Playing CF fulltime isn't what his legs need. Only an AL team would claim him, and that would be to DH. I doubt the yanks or red sox would claim him. The only question is would the reds deal him or not.

The other thing about Griffey Jr is that HE must accept a trade to the team claiming him off waivers. Even if the Reds don't pull him off of waivers, Griffey Jr can still refuse a trade & remain with the Reds.

Now I know the White Sox were mentioned as not being on his short-list but it was also rumored he did agree to be traded to them earlier. So hopefully while KGJ is in town this week Kenny has the welcome wagon out.

As for a NL team passing him up I wouldn't be too sure about that. If you're the Padres you can pick him up now & still have the option of trading him in the off-season to an AL team. Because of KGJ's stature that option is pretty much always there for a team seeking to get out from under his contract.

If I were KW I would be selling KGJ on the fact that the Cell might be the best HR hitting park in the majors. Stature wise he could become as big as Bonds as a member of the White Sox.

The money is no object for the CWS because KGJ's stature alone in Chicago will pay for his salary.

News Flash. As much as I want Griffey, they arent going to get rid of him. The Ownership group is trying to sell the team, and they know that the team is worth more money with those players on it instead of prospects in the minors. Getting rid of Griffey and selling the team would not only drop value, but eliminate the already dwindling fan base.

Would DH'ing full time have an adverse affect on Griffey's health? At least when he's playing the outfield, he can stay a little looser by running from time to time. If he's sitting on the bench warming up, then cooling down, he's more susceptable to injuries. That being said, I'd love to see a sweet swinging, healthy, lefty power hitter on the Sox.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
The other thing about Griffey Jr is that HE must accept a trade to the team claiming him off waivers.  Even if the Reds don't pull him off of waivers, Griffey Jr can still refuse a trade & remain with the Reds.

Now I know the White Sox were mentioned as not being on his short-list but it was also rumored he did agree to be traded to them earlier.  So hopefully while KGJ is in town this week Kenny has the welcome wagon out. 

As for a NL team passing him up I wouldn't be too sure about that.  If you're the Padres you can pick him up now & still have the option of trading him in the off-season to an AL team.  Because of KGJ's stature that option is pretty much always there for a team seeking to get out from under his contract.

When are we going to start hearing who has cleared waivers ?

For example, when was Griffey put on waivers, and how long would it take for him to get through?