ESPN Insider - Griffey Interest

SkokieSox

QUOTE(Kogs35 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
ugh enough with geroge freaking offman and his so called sources. the guy is a fake, and steals info from bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce and others

These guys have better sources than the typical fan. They hear things. not everything works out. Take everything with a grain of salt, like any other sort of information

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
Youd be stupid to steal the info from bruce there all false.

Yeah, he was way off base when he reported the Ozzie extension 2 weeks before it happened.

:headshake

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
I thought you meant he was number one in the organization, not one of the top. I agree that he's probably top 4-5.

He's probably got the most upside of any postition player (meaning someone who has shown signs of beings something special at A or higher) in the system right now, with Valido right along side.

Chris Young for Ken Griffey is not a good deal for the Sox, as much as I want us to win a WS.

1. What are the odds Griffey even makes it through August-Sept into October this year to do us any good?

2. In 1999, when Griffey was still in his prime, he went 2 for 15 in the ALDS. He's just one bat. Sure he's hitting better than Everett from the left side, but the marginal difference between him and Everett is anything from a slight positive to a slight negative depending on which one of them got hot.

3. Next year, Griffey's $12.5 million is better spent signing AJ Burnett. Pitching is what is carrying this Sox team, and what will continue to lead us of KW is smart.

4. Griffey isn't reliable enough to count on filling any position over the 2006-08 years of his deal. He isn't good enough to play the outfield anymore. He's a very expensive DH.

5. Is Griffey going to be happy as a DH? Is he going to be happy with the Sox? Did you read his comment about having spring training in Tucson? He cares more about where he plays spring training than he does getting to the World Series.

6. Chris Young is the best athlete and has the best speed of any player in our system. You can bet the year he makes the majors he will be better than Ken Griffey Jr. is at that time.

Get off the Griffey trade. The Sox were lucky it was killed if that is in fact what happened.

Chris Young for Ken Griffey is not a good deal for the Sox, as much as I want us to win a WS.

1. What are the odds Griffey even makes it through August-Sept into October this year to do us any good? Very Good. He hasn't shown any signs of injury through 4 months of the season why can't he do it for another 3?

2. In 1999, when Griffey was still in his prime, he went 2 for 15 in the ALDS. He's just one bat. Sure he's hitting better than Everett from the left side, but the marginal difference between him and Everett is anything from a slight positive to a slight negative depending on which one of them got hot. Griffey is hitting MUCH better than Everett 120 points higher OPS is NOT a marginal difference. I don't give a s*** if he went 0 for 20 in 1999 his bat would help this team out a lot and would make everyone around him better.

3. Next year, Griffey's $12.5 million is better spent signing AJ Burnett. Pitching is what is carrying this Sox team, and what will continue to lead us of KW is smart. Obviously the money part is not all that big an issue to KW and JR, so I dont' really give a s*** how much he makes next season. I'd never give AJ Burnett $11M+ anyway.

4. Griffey isn't reliable enough to count on filling any position over the 2006-08 years of his deal. He isn't good enough to play the outfield anymore. He's a very expensive DH. With a bat like his you take the chance that he may get injured. He can still play the OF, he does it everday in Cincinnati well why wouldn't he be able to do it at the Cell? I could see Griffey staying healthy and being a major contributor on this team mainly at DH but also at CF and maybe even 1B, which could be a great move for KGJ.

5. Is Griffey going to be happy as a DH? Is he going to be happy with the Sox? Did you read his comment about having spring training in Tucson? He cares more about where he plays spring training than he does getting to the World Series. If he waives his No-trade contract and comes to Chicago then I trust that he'll be happy here otherwise he'd just chose to stay with the Reds and have fun in Orlando during March.

6. Chris Young is the best athlete and has the best speed of any player in our system. You can bet the year he makes the majors he will be better than Ken Griffey Jr. is at that time. WOW. You cannot bet anything on Chris Young, he's a prospect and a AA prospect at that, this is the first times he's shown power in his minor league career and he has yet to show a consistently high BA. He's young and is still a prospect, you can not gaurentee anything when it comes to him. BTW, you might want to brush up on your White Sox Farm system knowledge, according to a lot of people including me, Chris Young is not the fastest player in our system. IMO Robert Valido is a better base stealer and has better flat speed.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)

1.  What are the odds Griffey even makes it through August-Sept into October this year to do us any good? 

2.  In 1999, when Griffey was still in his prime, he went 2 for 15 in the ALDS.  He's just one bat.  Sure he's hitting better than Everett from the left side, but the marginal difference between him and Everett is anything from a slight positive to a slight negative depending on which one of them got hot. 

3.  Next year, Griffey's $12.5 million is better spent signing AJ Burnett.  Pitching is what is carrying this Sox team, and what will continue to lead us of KW is smart.

4.  Griffey isn't reliable enough to count on filling any position over the 2006-08 years of his deal.  He isn't good enough to play the outfield anymore.  He's a very expensive DH.

5.  Is Griffey going to be happy as a DH?  Is he going to be happy with the Sox?  Did you read his comment about having spring training in Tucson?  He cares more about where he plays spring training than he does getting to the World Series. 

6.  Chris Young is the best athlete and has the best speed of any player in our system.  You can bet the year he makes the majors he will be better than Ken Griffey Jr. is at that time. 

Get off the Griffey trade.  The Sox were lucky it was killed if that is in fact what happened.

He's healthy already. Get over it. Plus he would be playing DH. I don't see you bringing up the 95 numbers when he was pretty damn good in the playoffs. Griffey > Everett, no matter how you slice it. We're not signing AJ Burnett. Main reason for him not coming here is because he said he wouldn't sign an extension with us. That means he won't be signing with the White Sox. Plus he is no more consistant than Jose Contreras and you use your 4th starter in the playoffs twice at most. I'd say spending cash on Burnett is dumber than gettting Griffey. Griffey most likely would be happy as a DH since he would get a couple of days off in the OF and that would probably prolong his career.

Get off the prospects. The White Sox could have a chance to trade Chris Young and BMac for Randy Johnson(in his prime years) and you would say no because of the awesome potential. Screw potential, we're trying to win it all. We have enough young guys on our team and in our system to survive without one Chris Young.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Yeah, he was way off base when he reported the Ozzie extension 2 weeks before it happened.

:headshake

One out of twenty is not the worst ratio i suppose. The dude is a moron and i can't see how it is debatable. He almost always is the last to report anything. My favorite is when a day and a half later he announced with is ''breaking news'' that the indians signed alex cora.

QUOTE(ISF @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
I have to agree with the anti-Griffey sentiment. If we're going to trade for a Reds DH let's get Dunn. I don't see either passing waivers though, since the Spank-mes need OF help.

I agree with you there. If we are giving up young, Dunn should be the one coming back to us. Dunn would look good at the Cell.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
One out of twenty is not the worst ratio i suppose. The dude is a moron and i can't see how it is debatable. He almost always is the last to report anything. My favorite is when a day and a half later he announced with is ''breaking news'' that the indians signed alex cora.

If Bruce reports a rumor and it doesn't happen, that's not his fault. How do you know something wasn't being talked about and fell through? Bruce has been covering baseball since the 60's or 70's. To say he is a moron is ignorant. He has seen things and met people that you can only dream of.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
If Bruce reports a rumor and it doesn't happen, that's not his fault. How do you know something wasn't being talked about and fell through? Bruce has been covering baseball since the 60's or 70's. To say he is a moron is ignorant. He has seen things and met people that you can only dream of.

Ha, you seem to be awfully offended. Are you Bruce Levine's son?

QUOTE(ISF @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
I have to agree with the anti-Griffey sentiment. If we're going to trade for a Reds DH let's get Dunn. I don't see either passing waivers though, since the Spank-mes need OF help.

1)Dunn would get blocked by the first team in the waiver process.

2)If you think Griffey costs alot, then Dunn is going to give you a heartattack in what he's going to cost.

3)Dunn K's too much. That's the reason we want Griffey. We don't want inning ending K's. Griffey is a guy who could move guys over. Dunn is a better version of PK I suppose. I'd take Griffey over that anyday.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
1)Dunn would get blocked by the first team in the waiver process.

2)If you think Griffey costs alot, then Dunn is going to give you a heartattack in what he's going to cost.

3)Dunn K's too much. That's the reason we want Griffey. We don't want inning ending K's. Griffey is a guy who could move guys over. Dunn is a better version of PK I suppose. I'd take Griffey over that anyday.

We're not going to get a chance at a young player, not making a ton of money yet, like Adam Dunn.

I agree that the price of Dunn will cost a lot more because he's younger/making less money, allowing the Reds to get a package without having to worry about getting less back because a team is taking on money (like would happen in a Griffey deal).

If he's healthy, Griffey would fit in perfectly...I don't think the Yankees will let Griffey through either, but that's the type of player - aging with a lot of money left - who could get through.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
I don't think so either. Also, wouldn't their payroll be around 300 million or close to it if they were to pick him up?

I think the Yankees are right about $210, and GM Brian Cashman had basically said the Yankees are maxed out for what they could spend. Saying that, I wouldn't be shocked if George Steinbrenner picked up extra salary for the rest of the year, knowing that Bernie Williams wouldn't be back next season.

This could also be a rent-a-player. We can assure him that we are going to find a place for him next year (Yankees?) if he comes here for the rest of '05. Steinbrenner will have Bernie off his books and I think there are one or two more...although I oculd be wrong.

So I was looking at some Yankee contracts the other day, taking a look at just how much they're paying some of these players. I have always had the stance that there's no way in hell that the Yankee's woul claim Griffey off waivers and after looking at thier payroll for the next 5 years I am now positive that they will not claim Griffey.

You have to remember that when the Yankees or just about any other team sign a player to a long term, high price contract they tend to back load the contract. Meaning at the beginning of the contract a player could make $8M a year but the next season that may go up to $10M and at the end of say a 6 year contract they could end up paying a player $18M per year for the final two years of a players contract. For example take a look at Derek Jeter's contract:

10 years $189M

'01 - $11M

'02 - $13M

'03 - $14M

'04 - $17M

'05 - $18M

'06 - $19M

'07 - $20M

'08 - $20M

'09 - $20M

'10 - $21M

Just about every high price Yankee's player has an extremely back loaded contract meaning every year their payroll is going to increase. Even with the subtraction of Bernie Williams, the Yankee's still have a ton of Giant contracts that are going up and increasing that already ridiculous payroll.

Alex Rodriguez' contract increases $5M between '04 and '07 ($22M to $27M) + a s*** load of incentives

Derek Jeter's contract increases $3M between '04 and '07 ($17M to $20M)

Mike Mussina next season will make $17M.

Jason Giambi only made $10M in '04 and $11M in '05 in '06 he's going to make $18M and the same in '07, when '08 rolls around he'll make $21M that year.

Carl Pavano will make $10M in '07 and $11M in '08

The Yankees have way too many high priced long term contract to take on another one like Griffey's. They're most likely going to add a high priced 1Bman either after the '05 season (Konerko) or the '06 season (DLee). There is absolutely no way in hell the yankee's claim KGJ and pay him through '08. It's finally reached the point where the Yanks are actually running low on capital and have to worry about how much money they are spending. Their payroll with increase for the 2006 and 2007 seasons. I hate to even think about how much they'll be paying out for the '07 and '08 seasons it will be upwards of $250M and that's not even including luxury tax.

VAfan, just curious why you are so obsessed with keeping talent as soon as they show a little promise. Last year at this time did you even know who Brandon McCarthy and Chris Young were?

Sometimes in situations like this you have to sell when maximum value presents itself. If McCarthy or Young stay, and the Sox dont win the world series, are you goign to be happy the Sox kept them? If the weakness in the offense presents itself are you going to say "Oh well", or are you going to tell yourself "Damn, if the Sox traded for Player A they would have won."

Personally I think this season is about seizing the moment, not thinking about the farm system next year.