How to help our offense?

fathom

In your opinion, what can be done to help this offense? If KW is likely to make a move, it will be for another OF/DH type that probably won't play more than Everett would. The left side of our team (SS, 3B, and LF) has been just awful lately, but all three of those guys aren't going anywhere. What can be done to kick-start an offense that really seems flat and isn't producing. I know our pitching has been super, but in order to be successful during this very difficult stretch of our schedule, we're going to have to be able to score more than 2 or 3 runs on a given night. With Pods struggling like crazy to get on base, and then having just as much of a struggle stealing succesfully, it might be a good idea to cut down on the straight stolen base attempt, and go with more hit-and-runs to utilize Pods speed.

Something that has to be done right now is that we split up the whole 8-9-1 of Crede, Uribe, and Pods. All three of them are struggling so much, that basically we have 33 pct of our lineup batting consecutively without a real good chance of getting on base currently. I also think that if we move Iguchi to the 3rd spot, it might benefit our offense also. I know Iguchi does a great job of moving the runner over....but with Pods not getting on base, that's doing us no good. Also, having Rowand bat 2nd might help him stay on the ball longer and make him drive the ball up the middle/to the right side. Rowand's been hitting a ton of grounders to 3rd base lately cause he's become pull happy. Right now, this team should be playing very loose with the lead they have. What's wrong with experimenting with changes in the lineup?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
Something that has to be done right now is that we split up the whole 8-9-1 of Crede, Uribe, and Pods.  All three of them are struggling so much, that basically we have 33 pct of our lineup batting consecutively without a real good chance of getting on base currently.  I also think that if we move Iguchi to the 3rd spot, it might benefit our offense also.  I know Iguchi does a great job of moving the runner over....but with Pods not getting on base, that's doing us no good.  Also, having Rowand bat 2nd might help him stay on the ball longer and make him drive the ball up the middle/to the right side.  Rowand's been hitting a ton of grounders to 3rd base lately cause he's become pull happy.  Right now, this team should be playing very loose with the lead they have.  What's wrong with experimenting with changes in the lineup?

Experiment all you want, but I never want to see the 1-2 of Pods and Gooch seperated.

82.jpg

You'd have to be Tony Little or this guy to ever sell me on changing those 2 guys' spot in the lineup.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 05:48 AM)
Experiment all you want, but I never want to see the 1-2 of Pods and Gooch seperated. 

What about another 5 games of stagnant offense with Podsednik doing his best Mike Caruso imitation? I didn't know there was some rule that said Iguchi had to bat 2nd. To me, he seems a hell of a lot more comfortable at the plate swinging with authority instead of trying to get the runner over. He's actually our worst player at swinging when there's a runner in motion. He always tries to protect the runner, and probably has a lot more strikeouts because of it. In no way is this trying to insult Iguchi. Rather, I mean to compliment him on the fact he's given himself up so much for the Sox this year. You can want to keep your 1-2 duo together as much as you want....but if this team continues to struggle to score runs against average pitchers, this race is going to get a lot closer than we want it to.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
What about another 5 games of stagnant offense with Podsednik doing his best Mike Caruso imitation?  I didn't know there was some rule that said Iguchi had to bat 2nd.  To me, he seems a hell of a lot more comfortable at the plate swinging with authority instead of trying to get the runner over.  He's actually our worst player at swinging when there's a runner in motion.  He always tries to protect the runner, and probably has a lot more strikeouts because of it.  In no way is this trying to insult Iguchi.  Rather, I mean to compliment him on the fact he's given himself up so much for the Sox this year.  You can want to keep your 1-2 duo together as much as you want....but if this team continues to struggle to score runs against average pitchers, this race is going to get a lot closer than we want it to.

I don't have faith in anyone else in the lineup to do what Iguchi does. Nobody is as unselfish as he is.

And BTW....

WE ARE NOT GOING TO LOSE THE DIVISON!

Podsednik, Iguchi is there to stay with Konerko's four spot locked up aswell. I don't think Griffey is an option at this point because Rowand in centerfield alone has proven his worth in the last few days.

I don't think Grissom or Cruz Jr help out in anyway that Ross Gload couldn't, so unless theres an option like Lowell at third or Furcal at short I don't think anything can be changed with this offense.

It's evident that something needs to be done, for starters Timo Perez out of that five hole would help.

We're not going to lose the division? I never said we would....but unlike many on here, I don't think it's locked up. We have an extremely difficult stretch of games now, while the Indians have an extremely easy stretch. It's naive to think that this race can't get close. There's no guarantees in sports, and we don't have a proven track record like the Braves. To be honest, I won't be actually nervous about it until the lead is under 7.5 games. Hopefully, that won't happen for the rest of the season. But please, will people stop getting pissed off at me because I'm not ready to say we have clinched the division? I don't think it makes me a bad fan if I realize that we still actually have to win games to clinch the division, and can't do so by planning our playoff rotation or looking over our shoulders at the freaking A's.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 12:57 AM)
We're not going to lose the division?  I never said we would....but unlike many on here, I don't think it's locked up.  We have an extremely difficult stretch of games now, while the Indians have an extremely easy stretch.  It's naive to think that this race can't get close.  There's no guarantees in sports, and we don't have a proven track record like the Braves.  To be honest, I won't be actually nervous about it until the lead is under 7.5 games.  Hopefully, that won't happen for the rest of the season.  But please, will people stop getting pissed off at me because I'm not ready to say we have clinched the division?  I don't think it makes me a bad fan if I realize that we still actually have to win games to clinch the division, and can't do so by planning our playoff rotation or looking over our shoulders at the freaking A's.

I still look at the standings and the Twins/Indians scores everyday, even though we're 72-39 and 12.5 up. I won't be celebrating anything until we clinch the division. But seriously, it's just cynical to beat the "it can happen, we're bound to go through a tough stretch and fall enough to make the division close" line to death.

Can it happen? Sure.

Will it happen? No.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
I still look at the standings and the Twins/Indians scores everyday, even though we're 72-39 and 12.5 up.  I won't be celebrating anything until we clinch the division.  But seriously, it's just cynical to beat the "it can happen, we're bound to go through a tough stretch and fall enough to make the division close" line to death. 

Can it happen?  Sure. 

Will it happen?  No.

I can't see how anybody can be so sure of that. I'll go so far as saying ... Will it happen? Probably not. But damn, I've seen it happen several times over my many years as a baseball fan.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
In your opinion, what can be done to help this offense?  If KW is likely to make a move, it will be for another OF/DH type that probably won't play more than Everett would.  The left side of our team (SS, 3B, and LF) has been just awful lately, but all three of those guys aren't going anywhere.  What can be done to kick-start an offense that really seems flat and isn't producing.  I know our pitching has been super, but in order to be successful during this very difficult stretch of our schedule, we're going to have to be able to score more than 2 or 3 runs on a given night.  With Pods struggling like crazy to get on base, and then having just as much of a struggle stealing succesfully, it might be a good idea to cut down on the straight stolen base attempt, and go with more hit-and-runs to utilize Pods speed.

Well i just heard on EspnNews that this was only the 2nd time all year that the Yanks won a game by scoring 3 runs or less, figures it would be against are anemic offense. Now I don't know what KW can do at this point, we obviously need another impact bat in the lineup, but considering we have the best record were last in line on the waiver wire, which means any other team could block a trade. Now I'm confident w/ Everett healthy we can win this division, and maybe make it the 2nd round of the playoffs, but I think when it boils down to it, we don't have enough offense to win it all. I think Griffey would be a great addition to our lineup, but i am leary of his contract. If Griffey does clear waivers though, maybe KW can get the Reds to pay a good portion of his contract in exchange for some quality prospects................... I am not totally convinced this team will make the playoffs next year, so we need to do what's necessary to win it all this year, which means we need another bat.........BAD!!

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 06:09 AM)
I can't see how anybody can be so sure of that.  I'll go so far as saying ... Will it happen?  Probably not. But damn, I've seen it happen several times over my many years as a baseball fan.

Exactly! I know I'm Mr. Pessimist....but I'm not a f***ing idiot. I know enough about baseball to know that it's the one sport where teams can go into massive tailspins at the blink of an eye. Who's to say the Indians won't win 15 out of 20 agains Tampa and KC (very possible), while we win 7 out of 20 against the Yankees, Angels, Twins, and Red Sox (very possible). Right there, they have the ability to make up 8 games on the Sox. If the Indians had a similar schedule to that of the Sox, then I would say there's no doubt we'd win the division. However, the comparison in schedules isn't even close. All I know is we have to play better baseball than we have if we want to have a successful stretch over the next few weeks.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
I think Griffey would be a great addition to our lineup, but i am leary of his contract. If Griffey does clear waivers though, maybe KW can get the Reds to pay a good portion of his contract in exchange for some quality prospects...................  I am not  totally convinced this team will make the playoffs next year, so we need to do what's necessary to win it all this year, which means we need another bat.........BAD!!

What makes you think that the Reds are going to change their minds and decide to trade Griffey? Wouldn't they have done it before the deadline when when they could have gotten prospects on our 40-man (Rogowski)? I think that the only way we get Griffey is if we eat most, if not all, of his contract. And we still may not get him because he has to approve the trade, and that is if he clears waivers on top of everything else.

I would love to have him on this team, but the chances are very slim.

The #3 spot seems to be the key as always, the 1 and 2 guys lay a good platform, and then you've got Konerko and Dye who usually produce in the 4 and 6 spots.

What can be done? Well in my opinion, unless Ken Griffey Jr. comes Southside, we need to put Aaron Rowand back in the #3 spot, and hope his power comes around. Put Everett in the #5 spot, move Uribe up the order a little if you want (to Rowand's 7 spot to try and get him going again).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
The #3 spot seems to be the key as always, the 1 and 2 guys lay a good platform, and then you've got Konerko and Dye who usually produce in the 4 and 6 spots.

What can be done? Well in my opinion, unless Ken Griffey Jr. comes Southside, we need to out Aaron Rowand back in the #3 spot, and hope his power comes around. Put Everett in the #5 spot, move Uribe up the order a little if you want (to Rowand's 7 spot to try and get him going again).

I love those ideas, being Aaron up to the 3 hole and Carl to the 5 slot. I'm a huge fan of Carl Everett but he's just not a good 3 hitter, I think Aaron can be. Here's the problem with those ideas, for whatever reason Ozzie needs to have his middle of the order go left/right left/right for whatever reason so most likely we're not going to see those changes made. Right now an obvious reason the offense isn't going so well is Scotty. He's been in a funk the past week and a half or so and this really is his first major slump of the year so we're seeing what happens when he's not on base. Once Pods gets rolling again the offense should big up big time, I hope.

Here's what I would do. I would move Iguchi to the leadoff spot. Ozzie, himself said Iguchi has hit 30 points lower because of his #2 hole role. With the lack of scoring Pods is doing, its not worth that sacrifice. I would either return Uribe to the #2 hole (he hit well there last year, and probably would stay on the ball longer if he had to move runners along, which in turn would make him very dangerous) and put Pods ninth, or put Pods in the #2 hole and let him bunt and sacrifice Iguchi over (he would probably get a few hits this way) and keep Uribe ninth. Pods steals total is impressive, but his runs total is mediocre, and while it might not be his fault he isn't scoring more, it does show the problem with the smallball philosophy, never mind the fact that Pods really struggled the second half last season, and appears like that could happen again. Pods can steal second and third, but if nobody brings him in, its as worthless as a homerun with nobody on and 2 out in the bottom of the ninth in a 12-1 game. I still think they need another bat. Everett being out shows that this offense really is a house of cards. If they could acquire a guy who is a legitimate #3 hitter,and rotate everyone around, it would add depth as well as potency.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 07:43 AM)
The one thing I'm going to say just to argue with dick :P is I think messing with the 1-2 is the wrong way to handle things.  They've been the catalysts all year and they shouldn't be moved around.

If you moved Pods to ninth and made Iguchi the leadoff man, after Iguchi's first at bat, they still would be hitting in the same order they have been.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)
If you moved Pods to ninth and made Iguchi the leadoff man, after Iguchi's first at bat, they still would be hitting in the same order they have been.

That's a good point but it's still getting Pods less ab's and still a switch in the order. Like I said, I'd love to see Aaron moved up to the 3 hole and Carl in the 5 slot, not gonna happen but that's what I'd like to see. Agree to disagree. :cheers