wow, who thought it was this bad

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
Well said.  One of the most rational posts I've seen in a long time on here.  Even a pessimistic person like myself agrees with this.

and how many pessimistic posts do you have?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
Well said.  One of the most rational posts I've seen in a long time on here.  Even a pessimistic person like myself agrees with this.

You know, for a self-proclaimed pessimist you're not very pessimistic outside of game threads.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
August batting averages BA/OBP/HR/RBI

(In Podsednik's case it's stolen bases and runs instead of home runs and rbis)

Podsednik .138/.167/2/2

Iguchi .259/.333/1/2

Dye .222/.329/0/1

Crede .130/.167/1/1

Uribe .133/.278/0/0

Perez .200/.333/0/1

whoa....this is a serious funk we are in. I know it's only 8 games, but sheesh...that's a bad eight games.

Pierzynski, Rowand and Konerko are all hitting the cover off the ball in August, but the rest of the team is seriously awful right now. Everett was hitting .286 in August when he went down...

I guess the good news is that even with this funk we are 4-4 in August....

Regardless of what others may think, I think you've put something that we've all known into #'s...thanks. I wouldn't say that we've had a very good offense at any point this season, but right now these guys are downright horrible. Non-strikeout pitchers are ringing up a hefty portion of our lineup, the short pop outs are becoming epidemic, as is the lack of clutch hitting.

We're in a unique situation when compared with other playoff bound teams, our pitching is what's getting us there. Problem is that we can't count on the pitchers/defense to hold teams like the yankees, bosox, and anaheim to one run every game. The offense needs to SOMEHOW scrape together atleast 3 runs nearly every night. El Duque pitched one helluva ballgame last night, leaving everything he had on mound (110+pitches on his weak arm) and walked away with a loss. Think he'll feel some pressure in his next start? Pitchers shouldn't walk onto the mound knowing that they're already in a deficit because the O can't score.

Solutions? I don't know, I really don't know what's happened. You can't exactly teach clutch hitting. Some guys don't look like they're taking the proper approaches in certain situations, but outside of that guys are just choking at the plate. I understand the trade market was absolute horses***, but I'm starting to become concerned that we're going to pay dearly for not getting a high contact/mediocre power LH hitter. I understand that KW did his best, but man, what a bad year for a s*** market.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
You know, for a self-proclaimed pessimist you're not very pessimistic outside of game threads.

I would say that's fairly accurate. In the heat of the battle, you feel certain ways, etc. Could I express myself better in the gamethreads? Of course I could. However, I'm going to stand up for what I say in the thread if I really believe it. The fact that I don't consider the Sox a lock to make the playoffs shouldn't make me a bad fan.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
I would say that's fairly accurate.  In the heat of the battle, you feel certain ways, etc.  Could I express myself better in the gamethreads?  Of course I could.  However, I'm going to stand up for what I say in the thread if I really believe it.  The fact that I don't consider the Sox a lock to make the playoffs shouldn't make me a bad fan.

I'm a soldier! I'm a soldier!

/Kellen Winslow II

Folk's, if the guy's negative, what's the matter with that? That is the way he feels and isn't this the place to voice your feelings? Now if he was trying to force you to be negative too, then you have a gripe. However, I have a hunch that, like the times I post negative, I am hoping someone will either provide some hope it will get better or that I was wrong. Sometimes we just have to play virtual bartender, you know?

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Folk's, if the guy's negative, what's the matter with that?  That is the way he feels and isn't this the place to voice your feelings?  Now if he was trying to force you to be negative too, then you have a gripe.  However, I have a hunch that, like the times I post negative, I am hoping someone will either provide some hope it will get better or that I was wrong.  Sometimes we just have to play virtual bartender, you know?

SFF

Amen to that. Who wants to read page after page of "We are the best! Sox rule!".

It's ok to be critical of the team.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
Amen to that.  Who wants to read page after page of "We are the best! Sox rule!".

It's ok to be critical of the team.

And who wants to read 20 pages of OMG THIS TEAM IS THE SUXORS!!11!! WE NEED OT TRADE 4 GRIF OR WWE ARE DONE.

This team is the best team in baseball for a reason. They don't flip out everytime things get rough or tight. Some people could learn from Ozzie mentality on this.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
And who wants to read 20 pages of OMG THIS TEAM IS THE SUXORS!!11!!  WE NEED OT TRADE 4 GRIF OR WWE ARE DONE.

Well there should be a nice balance in order for the message board to be successful.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
Well there should be a nice balance in order for the message board to be successful.

Problem is there isn't. Case in point, last night. There was more on the why wasn't Hermanson used in the 9th, blah, blah, blah, our offense sucks, we can't hit etc., than there was on the great outing Contreras had and the win we picked up.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:02 AM)
Problem is there isn't. Case in point, last night. There was more on the why wasn't Hermanson used in the 9th, blah, blah, blah, our offense sucks, we can't hit etc., than there was on the great outing Contreras had and the win we picked up.
Man Contreras had a great outing. Why the hell wasn't Hermanson used more in the 9th? Oh yeah because lefties are still hitting okay against him.

WWE NEED 2 TRADE FOR A LHRP.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
Man Contreras had a great outing.  Why the hell wasn't Hermanson used more in the 9th?  Oh yeah because lefties are still hitting okay against him.

I am sure it has nothing to do with his bad back seizing up on him or anything.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
Man Contreras had a great outing.  Why the hell wasn't Hermanson used more in the 9th?  Oh yeah because lefties are still hitting okay against him.

Unfortunately if you saw what Florida gave up for Ron Villione, that won't be happening anytime soon.