Nightengale's Griffey/ Sox update

beck72

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
I don't think Sox will lock up Crede to a multi-year deal.  Also, I fully anticipate the Sox trying to trade Contreras and Marte this offseason.

It depends with Joe. I see his defense as a huge asset that the sox might want to lock up. Esp. with few options in the minors and around the league.

Jose and Damaso very well could be dealt. If Jose steps it up this postseason, he could stick around. Though highly unlikely, as he'll probably throw in the pen. Paying $8 mill for a 5th SP isn't very wise. If he's still inconsistent, say hello to Mr Bmac. With COtts' emergence, Marte could bring back some very good talent.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
It depends with Joe. I see his defense as a huge asset that the sox might want to lock up. Esp. with few options in the minors and around the league.

Jose and Damaso very well could be dealt. If Jose steps it up this postseason, he could stick around. Though highly unlikely, as he'll probably throw in the pen. Paying $8 mill for a 5th SP isn't very wise. If he's still inconsistent, say hello to Mr Bmac. With COtts' emergence, Marte could bring back some very good talent.

Beck:

I thought Contreras' contract is $6 mil/year. The Yankees eat the other $2 mil.

QUOTE(S720 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
Beck:

I thought Contreras' contract is $6 mil/year.  The Yankees eat the other $2 mil.

I think you're right. But I'm not sure if another team would have to pick up the entire $8 mill or get the sox discount

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
I think you're right. But I'm not sure if another team would have to pick up the entire $8 mill or get the sox discount

I dont think the Sox would keep the extra cash thats supposed to go towards paying for Contreras if they traded him. Dont you think the team that trades for him would want that money in the deal?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
If that's the case, jose at $8 mill isn't a very good bargain.

this is true. But I think he is a very solid arm in the rotation and it would be hard to find another pitcher who has the potential that he has.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
I thought the Yanks only paid for some of the contract this year, and not next year.

No, I seem to remember the Yankees would eat $2 mil/year for this year AND next year. Just for curiosity, can someone look it up?

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I made sure sure Willie was safely tucked away on a bed of nails down in AAA. Not too many left to hate. Crede is next on my list.

I figured you were driving him down to Charlotte just to make sure he doesnt scurry off and hide in the sox clubhouse.

QUOTE(S720 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
No, I seem to remember the Yankees would eat $2 mil/year for this year AND next year.  Just for curiosity, can someone look it up?

I guess I found an article that mentioned Jose's contract:

"Contreras has $17,382,978 remaining on his contract. The Yankees are giving the White Sox money to cover $1 million of his $7 million salary next year and $2 million of his $8 million salary in 2006."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5568444/

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
The team that worries me most about claiming Griffey before the Sox is the Angels.  They might want him for the same role we do--DH and occasional OFer.

Let's hope we hear something soon.  I think if the Angels don't grab him, he's ours.

The Angels may grab him thinking there is no way he would accept playing there, thus not really risking anything and keeping other teams from acquiring him.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
The team that worries me most about claiming Griffey before the Sox is the Angels.  They might want him for the same role we do--DH and occasional OFer.

Let's hope we hear something soon.  I think if the Angels don't grab him, he's ours.

You do know that the Reds have to agree to the trade, right? Griffey Jr. passing through waivers is about 1/100th of the problem. Unless the Reds ownership has a trade of heart, he's not coming here.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
You do know that the Reds have to agree to the trade, right?  Griffey Jr. passing through waivers is about 1/100th of the problem.  Unless the Reds ownership has a trade of heart, he's not coming here.

If in fact the Reds have put Griffey on waivers, I think they must have decided to part with him. Otherwise, what would be the point? I think they already know who is interested in him.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 06:03 PM)
If in fact the Reds have put Griffey on waivers, I think they must have decided to part with him.  Otherwise, what would be the point?  I think they already know who is interested in him.

All teams put almost all their players on waivers. Just to see what's out there and open possibilities in the offseason.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 08:03 PM)
If in fact the Reds have put Griffey on waivers, I think they must have decided to part with him.  Otherwise, what would be the point?  I think they already know who is interested in him.

Every player at some point or another is put on waivers through out the year...doesn't mean that a team has decided to part with the player, in this case, KGJ.