Nightengale's Griffey/ Sox update

beck72

what about the indians, i dont know there financial status, but adding jr to a team that is 3 out of the WC could give them the lift they need to get to the playoffs. but like i said i dont know that the status of there financial problems are. please fill me in

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still leary of the Levine report because it's been continuously reported that ML personnel are under strict rules not to reveal such information, but if it's true then you can expect KGJ to clear waivers w/out the White Sox putting in a claim.

If a team puts in a claim for KGJ they are on the hook for the $49M. They can't revoke their claim. The Reds can revoke their request ONCE if they don't like the trade. If they do that KGJ can't be traded before Sep 1st & can't appear on a post-season roster.

So it makes no sense for the White Sox to claim him off ML waivers. Assuming he clears it's then a question of best offer. The White Sox were hitting much better at the time of the trade than they are now. With BOS & MIN coming up don't expect much to change offensively. I think that gives the Reds greater strength in the deal now.

My guess is to make things easier on both clubs the Reds will pick up all of what they owe Griffey in 2005. That drops the 3 yr cost to the White Sox down to $22M. In addition I see them picking up the largest deferred payment ($16.5M) owed in 2024. That drops the White Sox deferred payment cost to $13.5M/08-2023. At 4% interest compounded annually over a declining principal it's probably worth no more than $16M/08-2023.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
I'm still leary of the Levine report because it's been continuously reported that ML personnel are under strict rules not to reveal such information, but if it's true then you can expect KGJ to clear waivers w/out the White Sox putting in a claim.

If a team puts in a claim for KGJ they are on the hook for the $49M.  They can't revoke their claim.  The Reds can revoke their request ONCE if they don't like the trade.  If they do that KGJ can't be traded before Sep 1st & can't appear on a post-season roster.

So it makes no sense for the White Sox to claim him off ML waivers.  Assuming he clears it's then a question of best offer.  The White Sox were hitting much better at the time of the trade than they are now.  With BOS & MIN coming up don't expect much to change offensively.  I think that gives the Reds greater strength in the deal now. 

My guess is to make things easier on both clubs the Reds will pick up all of what they owe Griffey in 2005.  That drops the 3 yr cost to the White Sox down to $22M.  In addition I see them picking up the largest deferred payment ($16.5M) owed in 2024.  That drops the White Sox deferred payment cost to $13.5M/08-2023. At 4% interest compounded annually over a declining principal it's probably worth no more than $16M/08-2023.

Well done, Juggs. See, you can put those numbers to good use every once and awhile. :lol:

It's in plain english and very easy to understand...well done. :cheers

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
what about the indians, i dont know there financial status, but adding jr to a team that is 3 out of the WC could give them the lift they need to get to the playoffs.  but like i said i dont know that the status of there financial problems are. please fill me in

the indians are not in position to add that kind of salary. their attendance is way down, and their owner has been crying poor ever since he bought the team from jacobs.

no way they put in a claim.

The good news is that it's been said that NYY$, STL, HOU were the 3 teams on KGJ's short-list. It's obvious now he's added the White Sox to that list.

He's never said anything about CLE, ANA, BOS, or BAL. CLE still requires a family move so I don't think it's proximity to CIN will have any bearing on his decision.

Though Cashman said the NNY$ would not put in a claim you can't rule out a trade. They would need to involve a 3rd team because they can't contend with the White Sox talent pool. As for his home in Orlando you can't rule out ATL, HOU, or STL. ATL & HOU in particular play ST games in Orlando.

Well, with the offer that was on the table before, and currently, we would be paying Griffey less than big Frank who is not helping us at all, and is probably done with his career in Chicago. I am all for this, I just hope Chris Young doesnt turn into a damn superstar.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
The good news is that it's been said that NYY$, STL, HOU were the 3 teams on KGJ's short-list.  It's obvious now he's added the White Sox to that list. 

He's never said anything about CLE, ANA, BOS, or BAL.  CLE still requires a family move so I don't think it's proximity to CIN will have any bearing on his decision. 

Though Cashman said the NNY$ would not put in a claim you can't rule out a trade.  They would need to involve a 3rd team because they can't contend with the White Sox talent pool.  As for his home in Orlando you can't rule out ATL, HOU, or STL.  ATL & HOU in particular play ST games in Orlando.

Could you imagine if this is the first real season the Yankees suffer from depleting their farm system to a steaming pile?

weddingsinger_18.jpg

The Sox are reaping all the benefits.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
  CLE still requires a family move so I don't think it's proximity to CIN will have any bearing on his decision. 

Though Cashman said the NNY$ would not put in a claim you can't rule out a trade.  They would need to involve a 3rd team because they can't contend with the White Sox talent pool.  As for his home in Orlando you can't rule out ATL, HOU, or STL.  ATL & HOU in particular play ST games in Orlando.

Cleveland takes the same amount of time to get to as Chicago from Cinci.

NL teams will give up less due to the fact that he is a DH waiting to happen. Do they want him, yes they pay in $$$ and players what an AL will, I don't think so.

He wants to be close to home for ST and the season (Houston, Atlanta.) He also seems to like being out of the spotlight (NY). He had a much better offer from Seattle than CIn but didn't like being west coast (Ana).

Cleveland has Hafner cheap at DH and is not goign to give up prospects to get him. It is a nice fit but these teams could ahve taken the risk earlier and much easier than now. The Sox are the favorites and the risk is well worth it for them.

As for Chris Young his K's look to be way to high at AA with a lower average to really excite me.

What about Sean Casey and Aaron Freel under the radar of all of this? They seem like a better deal for the Reds for Rogo and Young.

Edited by HSC's Biggest Fan

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
Cleveland takes the same amount of time to get to as Chicago from Cinci.

I think if you had a choice to be in Chicago or Cleveland, it would be a pretty easy choice.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
As much as it'd be great to have Griffey here, with his injurt history taken into account, I'm really hesitant to give up Chris Young as part of the deal.

We have plenty of OF depth in our organization. Also, the OF position is probably the easiest in baseball to fill via free agency. There's no guarantee that Young will even make it to the majors. Griffey would help this team more this season and likely the next few seasons at the MLB level!

Oh Juggs.... Google can be a wonderful thing. This is a Stark column from last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=1860265

Here are some highlights

Virtually every player in the major leagues will be placed on waivers this month, whether a team intends to trade that player or not. If nothing else, the sheer volume of names can at least disguise players whom clubs do want to sneak through so they can be dealt.

And this article

http://kmbumb.people.wm.edu/roster/glossary.html

Almost every player is placed on waivers at some point during a season, but most will be pulled back or clear
Edited by southsider2k5

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
Guys, I don't think we should give up any prospects at all for possibly one of the greatest baseball players ever.

Most people think we can get any player for guys like Baj, Borchard, Adkins, and J. Burke.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
Most people think we can get any player for guys like Baj, Borchard, Adkins, and J. Burke.

Um, Jeff Bajenaru is quite possibly the greatest minor league reliever in baseball. I don't know why the f*** you're including him in that response.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)
If a deal did go through, payroll would increase to fit him in. The sox aren't going to cut payroll [carl and Frank would say their goodbyes though; and I could see Contreras being dealt with BMac replacing him] and cut corners elsewhere in future yrs in order to fit in his contract. Though like every team, they could sell off higher paid players if they are out of the playoff hunt by the deadline in 2006 and beyond.

Also, the sox couldn't make a deal like this unless they also had good minor leaguers [hence cheap and affordable] ready to make an impact in the yrs ahead.

beck why must the payroll be the same next year, why won't payroll be more next year? Makes sense, we will draw 2.3 million fans this year plus playoff revenue. I think we will add to payroll not keep it the same.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
Could you imagine if this is the first real season the Yankees suffer from depleting their farm system to a steaming pile?

weddingsinger_18.jpg

The Sox are reaping all the benefits.

remember you said no way in hell they get Griffey. I am holding you to it.

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
beck why must the payroll be the same next year, why won't payroll be more next year? Makes sense, we will draw 2.3 million fans this year plus playoff revenue. I think we will add to payroll not keep it the same.

The Sox have shown a history where they directly link their payroll to their attendance revenues. Just from an amatuer observation based on this years attendance trends, we should be looking at a payroll of at least $90 million next year. If the Sox can somehow make it to, or win, the World Series, we should be around $100 million.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
As much as it'd be great to have Griffey here, with his injurt history taken into account, I'm really hesitant to give up Chris Young as part of the deal.

Because Chris Young is a superstar, or going to be a superstar Right? Just like Borchard or Crede. Right? Chris young could get hit by a car tommorrow. THe Sox should not pass up an opportunity to get an elite player while they are positioned for the post season. This guy will put us over the top and the lineup will scare opponents in the playoffs a hell of alot more than it does today. we need left handed bats against the Angels, Redsox and Yankees. Expecially the Angels, I don't think they have a left hander worth a damn in the bullpen. Make the trade now. Please

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
The Sox have shown a history where they directly link their payroll to their attendance revenues.  Just from an amatuer observation based on this years attendance trends, we should be looking at a payroll of at least $90 million next year.  If the Sox can somehow make it to, or win, the World Series, we should be around $100 million.

I agree

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
Um, Jeff Bajenaru is quite possibly the greatest minor league reliever in baseball.  I don't know why the f*** you're including him in that response.

Hes completely worthless to other teams. He's old, a non-prospect and was s***ty in MLB action.

And Quick, I didnt know you were still around?