Official game thread 8/15

Ishmookie

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
I still say the play that showed how this team played tonight happened earlier.

Crede has a close play at the plate, he should of plowed over the catcher.  That would of energized our team more than anything.  Not only does it show the twins we can play hard, but it shows that we are the new badass on the block. 

But crede slows down as he gets to the plate, then tries some around move and is tagged out by 3 feet.  If he plowed over Mauer its a closer play and gives us a chance to score.

That to me, was a big tell in this game.

Crede has 2 herniated discs. He's still doing better than Blum. He has no business trying to plow over anybody. I'm not excusing his piss poor hitting, but would you rather see Blum or Crede at 3b? I say Crede.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
How do RISP ABs occur?

By other players on the team not making outs. It's simple really. If you don't make an out you are at the very least awarded first base. Plus by not making an out, you allow for more chaces for your teammates to get hits. That includes HRs, which I don't know if you've heard, are really really good. Every out you make decreases your teams chance of scoring, no matter the situation. Every time you reach safely you increase your teams chance of scoring. Like I said it's simple.

Timo Makes lots of outs. He deprives the team of more runners in scoring position AB's through his suckitude in all situations other than RISP than he makes up for by hitting marginally above average in those situations (Though he sucks in ALL situations this season).

If we had a team full of Timo's we would score about 1 run per game, but you would be defending them because they would all have good stats with RISP.

Timo had what 1 RISP AB tonight? What if he had gone 0-1 in that situation, but 3-3 in the others? -- We probably would have won because he 1) didn't make 5 outs. 2) allowed for more RISP at-bats by the team than in the previous scenario.

I agree 100%. Unfortunaltley it doesn't seem like Hawk, ozzie and most importantly Kenny agree with you.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:50 AM)
Also, if Uribe could throw a ball to the plate without bouncing it, we may have saved another run.

We have got to lead the majors in fewest guys thrown out at home. Our outfielders have been simply awful at throwing guys out at home, and there's been plenty of plays where a good throw would have got the runner.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)

Crede has a close play at the plate, he should of plowed over the catcher.  That would of energized our team more than anything.  Not only does it show the twins we can play hard, but it shows that we are the new badass on the block. 

But crede slows down as he gets to the plate, then tries some around move and is tagged out by 3 feet.  If he plowed over Mauer its a closer play and gives us a chance to score.

His back will bother him probably the rest of his career, if you were Crede would you risk f***ing up your back more to blow down a catcher whose a lot bigger than you? Yes I would love for him to plow Mauer but it didn't happen and I am not gonna punish him for it. Cora should've held him.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
Crede has 2 herniated discs. He's still doing better than Blum. He has no business trying to plow over anybody. I'm not excusing his piss poor hitting, but would you rather see Blum or Crede at 3b? I say Crede.

I disagree, if crede is sidestepping mauer in that situation because of his back then he has no business playing. You either go all out or you sit on the bench. maybe it wouldn't have mattered but if chemistry has any importance whatsoever he knocks mauer on his ass.

The bottom line is if you have a lineup with Timo Perez leading off, you're not going to score many runs. As aggressive as KW has been over his tenure, he really overestimated "chemistry" this season, and really is sitting on a team that if they make the playoffs will more than likely get ousted very quickly. The offense is pathetic. Think about it. If the pitching wasn't spectacular in NY they would have been swept.

QUOTE(marsh @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
I disagree, if crede is sidestepping mauer in that situation because of his back then he has no business playing. You either go all out or you sit on the bench. maybe it wouldn't have mattered but if chemistry has any importance whatsoever he knocks mauer on his ass.

Oh bulls***! Don't f***ing criticise Crede for not trying to take out Mauer.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
We have got to lead the majors in fewest guys thrown out at home.  Our outfielders have been simply awful at throwing guys out at home, and there's been plenty of plays where a good throw would have got the runner.

What are you talking about?? According to Hawk, we have one of the best defensive OF's in the leagueeee.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
The bottom line is if you have a lineup with Timo Perez leading off, you're not going to score many runs. As aggressive as KW has been over his tenure, he really overestimated "chemistry" this season, and really is sitting on a team that if they make the playoffs will more than likely get ousted very quickly. The offense is pathetic. Think about it. If the pitching wasn't spectacular in NY they would have been swept.

I agree strongly. I see a 1 and done for this team. Let's just hope we can make it there crawling.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
Oh bulls***! Don't f***ing criticise Crede for not trying to take out Mauer.

If, and that's an if because none of us know whether crede took into consideration his back at that play, but if he did, that's horses***. he's got a running start at mauer who's stationairy and concentrating on catching the ball. If he's pussyfooting around him so he won't get hurt then he should be on the bench.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)

You don't run over catchers for the sake of running over catches. It just causes problems.

Mauer gave him the plate. You only run a guy over if he's blocking the plate.

Showing you are the new badass on the block is done by winning the game, not making up for something you are still whining about from last year. Who cares.

That's not how the game of baseball is played.

QUOTE(marsh @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)
If, and that's an if because none of us know whether crede took into consideration his back at that play, but if he did, that's horses***. he's got a running start at mauer who's stationairy and concentrating on catching the ball. If he's pussyfooting around him so he won't get hurt then he should be on the bench.

Oh wow, im running full speed towards someone and my bad back never crosses my mind... Let me run into him and see what happens.

Why don't we bench him, or why didn't he plow him over so we can have Blum and Ozuna start at 3rd for the rest of the season, smart decision.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
Ozzie really oughta take a chair, put it in left, and lead it off.

Chair>Timo

Anybody but Timo. All you hear is how nobody was available. Well, Oakland got Payton and all he does is gets big hits for them. Matt Lawton was had for hardly anything. They claim Pods was hurt before the All Star break. Either he didn't tell anybody he was hurting or they have been sitting on it. If he didn't tell anyone, he's an asshole. If they have been sitting on it hoping he would magically heal, they are fools. KW better have something up his sleeve, or the dissapointment of the ending of this season is going to be very hard to swallow.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
You don't run over catchers for the sake of running over catches. It just causes problems.

Mauer gave him the plate. You only run a guy over if he's blocking the plate.

Showing you are the new badass on the block is done by winning the game, not making up for something you are still whining about from last year. Who cares.

That's not how the game of baseball is played.

I honestly don't think he gave him the plate. When he slid around mauer, not straight to the plate, he wasn't even near enough to tag the plate. If he runs straight to the plate there is a collision.

QUOTE(marsh @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
I honestly don't think he gave him the plate. When he slid around mauer, not straight to the plate, he wasn't even near enough to tag the plate. If he runs straight to the plate there is a collision.

You are right, but I don't blame him for not plowing into him. He had a legitimate shot at being safe by trying to avoid the tag.

QUOTE(marsh @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)

Just a review on TIVO. The plate was not open. Crede went out of his way to avoid Mauer and slid around the plate about 2 1/2 feet away. His outreached hand wouldnt of touched the plate he was so far.

Maybe his back was hurting him. But the only way he gets to home is if he plows Mauer. But whatever the acrobatic Crede and his side step slide didnt tweak his back at all.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
Oh wow, im running full speed towards someone and my bad back never crosses my mind... Let me run into him and see what happens.

Why don't we bench him, or why didn't he plow him over so we can have Blum and Ozuna start at 3rd for the rest of the season, smart decision.

Catchers block the plate, that's part of the game. So is going thru the catcher to score a run. If crede isn't healthy enough to play the game then he shouldn't be playing. If guys aren''t gonna play full out then what's the point? Let's just play our scrubs the rest of the year and hope we manage home field advantage. of course we can just turn on the competitivness in the playoffs. how's that worked in the past for teams?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
You are right, but I don't blame him for not plowing into him. He had a legitimate shot at being safe by trying to avoid the tag.

When it's all said and done maybe it didn't even matter tonite. It was just something that bothered me when i saw the play. I would like to think if it was the difference in the game every one of our guys would do what it takes to win.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:51 AM)

There is no reason to run over the catcher and risk injury to both runner and catcher. Plus we lost this game 4-2 by the looks of it adn not 4-3. It is going to take more than Crede breaking his back to make this team start getting some runs across the plate. I don't see the reasoning in these arguments. Crede goes on the DL so we soxtalkers can make a point? I think this is just frustration than anything else, or at least I hope so.

Here is the bulls*** quote of the night from Pauly Konerko

"I didn't know where the ball was," Konerko said. "I was jammed so bad. After I saw the play go to third, I tried for second. I was safe. I'm out 99 out of 100 times, so I know when I'm safe."

You didnt know where the ball was. How the f*** is that possible. You sat statuesque watching the ball go up. You posed like you were on the box of wheaties and then you come up with the comment, I didnt know where the ball was.

:fyou