Players that won't be traded

JUGGERNAUT

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3311848

WITHDRAWN (can't be traded before Sept 1 deadline)

===================================

Tony Clark, Jay Gibbons, Bill Mueller, Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, Willy Mo Peña, Coco Crisp, Vladimir Guerrero, Lyle Overbay, Jeff Kent, Shea Hillenbrand, Clemens, Petitte, Moyer (when he used his no-trade clause that forced the team to pull him back), Mike Cameron, Aaron Heilman, Jose Reyes, David Wright, Roberto Hernandez, Chris Woodward, Marlon Anderson, Kaz Matsui, Brian Shouse, Brett Tomko, Rob Macowiak, John Grabow, Bill Mueller, Mike Myers, Bronson Arroyo, Kevin Youkilis, Billy Wagner, B.J. Ryan, Ben Sheets, Matt Wise, Eddie Guardado, Miguel Batista, Russell Branyan, Brady Clark, Doug Davis, Carlos Lee, Lyle Overbay, Matt Treanor, Julio Lugo, Alfonso Soriano

CLEARED (can be traded)

Ken Griffey Jr., Mike Piazza, Tom Glavine, Pedro Martinez, Carlos Beltran, Kris Benson, Doug Mientkiewicz, Victor Zambrano, Danny Graves, Miguel Cairo, Ramon Castro, Jorge Posada, Shawn Chacon, Tony Womack, Al Leiter, Felix Rodriguez, Wayne Franklin, Felix Escalona, Aaron Small and John Flaherty, Mike Sweeney, Sammy Sosa, Steve Kline, Ryan Vogelsong, Josh Fogg, Jason Christiansen, Edgardo Alfonzo, Scott Schoeneweis, Justin Speier, LaTroy Hawkins, Duaner Sanchez, Ramon Ortiz, Joe Mays, Tomo Ohka, Jose Lima, Bruce Chen, Joel Pineiro, Braden Looper, Odalis Perez, Derek Lowe, Frank Catalanotto, Dustan Mohr, Todd Hollandsworth, Todd Walker, 18 Brewers, Rafael Palmeiro, Rich Aurilia, Toby Hall, Wes Helms, Kaz Matsui and about 250 others

CLAIMED (traded)

LHP Chris Narverson, RHP Sunny Kim, RHP Aquilino Lopez, Jose Cruz Jr., Tony Schrager, Mike Remlinger, Olivio Astacio

MENTIONED in trade talks: (From Aug to June .. ordered by recent activity)

Wes Helms, Jesus Colome, Kirk Rueter, Alfonso Soriano, Phil Nevin, Alex Gordon, Ruben Rivera, Mitchell Abreu, Mark Bellhron, Luke Hochevar, Rich Aurilia, Tim Salmon, Justin Upton, Brett Tomko, Jamie Moyer, Billy Wagner, Marquis Grissom, Dave Roberts, Sean Burroughs, Ken Griffey Jr., Kevin Mench, Bret Boone, Kyle Farnsworth, Matt Stairs, Dmitri Young, Jason LaRue, Brian Giles, Larry Bigbie, Adam Dunn, Kevin Millwood, Jason Johnson, Manny Ramirez, Mike Cameron, Tony Womack, Mike Sweeney, A.J. Burnett, Scott Eyre, Shingo Takatsu, Reed Johnson, Orlando Hernandez, Ricky Bottalico, Jose Mesa, Steve Reed, Jorge Cantu, Kip Wells, Vincente Padilla, Alfredo Amezaga, Tom Glavine, Rondell White, Frank Catalanotto, Endy Chavez, Joe Kennedy, Eric Hinske, Toby Hall, Rafael Furcal, Gary Matthews Jr., Danys Baez, Sidney Ponson, Odalis Perez, Jason Jennings, Mike MacDougal, Ned Yost, David Dellucci, Jim Thome, J.C. Romero, Javier Valentin, Miguel Asencio, Jeff Kent, Mike Maroth, Kevin Millar, Steve Kline, Jim Edmonds, Jose Lima, David Wells, Shea Hillenbrand, Eric Milton, Roger Clemens, Carl Everett, Shigetoshi Hasegawa, Jamey Wright, Gary Sheffield, Juan Encarnacion, Kelly Shoppach, Ted Lilly, Roberto Petagine, Kenny Rogers, Brian Fuentes, Jason Schmidt, Alex S. Gonzalez, Wily Mo Pena, Jeremy Affeldt, Jeff Weaver, Edgardo Alfonzo, Alfredo Amezaga, Rich Aurilia,

Javier Vazquez, Scott Hatteberg, Felix Rodriguez, Jorge Julio, Gabe Gross, John Grabow, Dean Palmer, John Parrish, Tim Salmon, Rey Ordonez, Terrmel Sledge,

Mark Guthrie, Sang Ho-Moon, Cliff Floyd, Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui, Ryan Howard, Jae Weong Seo, Jong-Soo Shim

DYK? (Drayton McLane, HOU) worth $1.3 billion is 3rd behind (Pohlad, MIN) & (Lindner,CIN) on Forbes list of wealthiest MLB owners?

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
According to a post at WSI:

Garland, Pods, Buerhle, and Garcia also cleared and are eligible for trade

Marte and Politte were claimed but pulled back so they can't be dealt

I'd claim any player the Sox put on waivers. Noone has a gian menacing contract and are all in pretty good health. It makes no sense for Buehrle to clear. :huh:

Eddie G was pulled back. Ibanez has not been specifically mentioned as being cleared.

I read an article in one of the OAK papers that said Chavez has been campaigning for the A's to get another bat. The new owner has echoed the same sentiments that JR has: $$ is no object when it comes to post-season rosters.

Does anyone have a link to this story? I haven't seen it talked about anywhere else.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
I'd claim any player the Sox put on waivers. Noone has a gian menacing contract and are all in pretty good health. It makes no sense for Buehrle to clear. :huh:

That's BS...Podsednik does not make too much money, and was an AS. Garland still has a year of arbitration left, and isn't too expensive for someone who's had his season, and if it don't work out, ya could go the route of AJ with the Giants last year. Garcia I could see getting picked up too. That is a total BS rumor. Especially with NYY needing a CF, Pods would work well there.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
That's BS...Podsednik does not make too much money, and was an AS. Garland still has a year of arbitration left, and isn't too expensive for someone who's had his season, and if it don't work out, ya could go the route of AJ with the Giants last year. Garcia I could see getting picked up too. That is a total BS rumor. Especially with NYY needing a CF, Pods would work well there.

The whole theory of what 'waivers' actually are, is still eluding the masses on this website...

Almost everyone gets put on waivers. They are tossed on there just to measure the amount of interest other teams have in your players, etc. There is no intention to trade the aforementioned players, nor is there anyway that these teams will allow them to be picked up by other clubs.

Edited by Chisoxrd5

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)

Steve... just because a player is put on waivers doesn't mean anything as far as them being claimed. The owning team can pull them back at any second, and does most of the time. Also, the claiming team pays a claiming fee to even put in a claim.. pretty damn stupid to pay a claim fee if you know the owning team will just pull the player back dontcha think..? It's all about interest.

The were on waivers, along with just about all the rest of the team.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Steve... just because a player is put on waivers doesn't mean anything as far as them being claimed. The owning team can pull them back at any second, and does most of the time. Also, the claiming team pays a claiming fee to even put in a claim.. pretty damn stupid to pay a claim fee if you know the owning team will just pull the player back dontcha think..? It's all about interest.

Is there an echo in here? :P

Yep, something along those lines. Close enough.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
The whole theory of what 'waivers' actually are, is still eluding the masses on this website...

Almost everyone gets put on waivers. They are tossed on there just to measure the amount of interest other teams have in your players, etc. There is no intention to trade the aforementioned players, nor is there anyway that these teams will allow them to be picked up by other clubs.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)

Read them in order...Steff you know I know how waivers and everything work. I was talking about the original post (the first one I quoted here). I was saying why those players would not make it through in reality, not why I thought the Sox were crazy to put them on waivers. Sorry for the mixup guys, I should have quoted the first post instead of the second, sorry.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
Read them in order...Steff you know I know how waivers and everything work. I was talking about the original post (the first one I quoted here). I was saying why those players would not make it through in reality, not why I thought the Sox were crazy to put them on waivers. Sorry for the mixup guys, I should have quoted the first post instead of the second, sorry.

I assumed (and scratched my head when I saw your initial reply). No worries. This topic has been beaten to death.

According to the rules:

Players who have played for less than 3 yrs typically do not have to clear ML waivers. Since they usually have option years left they typically don't have to clear OR waivers either.

Of course there is the PTBNL rule that pretty much allows any two team to skirt the need for ML waivers. In the case of the Reds & the White Sox they could have completed a Griffey Jr trade making use of future considerations in the form of PTBNLs. They have 6 months to complete that trade. Which means they can assign the PTBNLs after the ML waiver period has expired. Since these two teams are in different leagues the White Sox can use any players they want.

Which brings up an interesting question. Can two teams void a trade because they can't agree on future considerations prior to the 6th month deadline? If that's possible then theoretically speaking the Reds could loan us Griffey Jr & get him back later. Since cash can be used in lieu of PTBNLs I'd imagine the Commissioner's office would step in & demand compensation for the Reds.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
According to the rules:

Players who have played for less than 3 yrs typically do not have to clear ML waivers.  Since they usually have option years left they typically don't have to clear OR waivers either. 

Of course there is the PTBNL rule that pretty much allows any two team to skirt the need for ML waivers.  In the case of the Reds & the White Sox they could have completed a Griffey Jr trade making use of future considerations in the form of PTBNLs.  They have 6 months to complete that trade.  Which means they can assign the PTBNLs after the ML waiver period has expired.  Since these two teams are in different leagues the White Sox can use any players they want.

Which brings up an interesting question.  Can two teams void a trade because they can't agree on future considerations prior to the 6th month deadline?  If that's possible then theoretically speaking the Reds could loan us Griffey Jr & get him back later.  Since cash can be used in lieu of PTBNLs I'd imagine the Commissioner's office would step in & demand compensation for the Reds.

once again