Adkins

GoodAsGould

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
Why is this bum on the major league team when all he has done is sucked.... If they want an inning eater why not use arnie munoz or if they want another possible quality arm they could use Baj... hell id take walker over adkins really.

I agree. I hated it then and im really hating it now. Diaz or Munoz would have been much better options. Diaz actually pithced quite well last year for us once he started coming out of the pen and Munoz has actually put up numbers in Charlotte to warrant a look. Baj can only give us 2 IP so I can understand not taking him up. But hell, I'd rather give Bobby Jones the long-reliever spot than Adkins

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
Why is this bum on the major league team when all he has done is sucked.... If they want an inning eater why not use arnie munoz or if they want another possible quality arm they could use Baj... hell id take walker over adkins really.

He sucked in Charlotte and had a fluke month or two in the majors last year before turning back into his usual self. I never supported the move and I don't want him on the roster. He's a waste of space and I don't care if the reasoning is to have a guy that can pitch multiple innings. If they are going to do that than go with Diaz or even Baj. And yes, Baj is capable of throwing 3 innings of garbage time if necessary (its not as long as Adkins can throw, but quite frankly Adkins isn't capable of going 4-5 innings in a major league game...he stinks too much).

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 05:19 AM)
WHy did they bring up a guy with an era around 5 and a record under .500.... I'm available if they want me to pitch!!!!!!

That's how it's worked with our AAA *pitchers this year.

Kevin Walker and Jon Adkins have both been called up, even though neither has posted an ERA below FIVE. Rather, guys like Jeff Bajenaru (1.17 ERA, 61 IP), Arnie Munoz (3.78 ERA, 112 IP) and Josh Fields (2.75 ERA, 68 IP) pitch their asses off (or, in Munoz' case, decently) and have nothing to show for it.

But I forgot. Walker and Adkins have experience, which seems to trump everything.

*edited

Edited by CWSGuy406

Just to make a point, I'm not being an armchair GM or manager because I've been saying this about Adkins for a very very long time. I never rip a move that I support at the time being.

I have a few major problems with Ozzie and one of them is definately his loyalty. Timo had two huge doubles today but there is zero reason he should be leading off or hitting the 5spot.....EVER. Same goes for Juan Uribe in the 2 hole. If the Sox need a leadoff guy, slide Aaron up there for the time being.

Also just to make a general comment, I was left utterly unimpressed with Brian Anderson. I only got to see the first 9 innings (I didn't realize this would be a 16 inning game when I recorded it) so I didn't see his ab's in the extra innings, but he got owned alive by Radke. I did like his base hit, but my god he was so far behind on quite a few pitches. Looked more like a pitcher hitting than a hitter.

However, just a general comment and you can't judge a guy on one game (trust me on that....any guy on any given day can look like an absolute fool). Hopefully he can ease into a comfort zone.

We can't blame all of this on Adkins.... OZZIE still does not know how to manage a f***ing bullpen.... Why go by the stupid ass matchup? Politte for 1/3 and Marte for 2/3 of an inning.. Unbelieveable... He could have saved them like the Twins did... He did the same f***ing thing in KC earlier this year and it ended with the same outcome OF COURSE>>> Send Ozzie to the minors and teach him how to manage a bullpen..

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
We can't blame all of this on Adkins.... OZZIE still does not know how to manage a f***ing bullpen.... Why go by the stupid ass matchup? Politte for 1/3 and Marte for 2/3 of an inning..  Unbelieveable... He could have saved them like the Twins did... He did the same f***ing thing in KC earlier this year and it ended with the same outcome OF COURSE>>> Send Ozzie to the minors and teach him how to manage a bullpen..

Quite frankly I can't really complain....the Sox went pretty deep into the game before they had to use Adkins.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
Quite frankly I can't really complain....the Sox went pretty deep into the game before they had to use Adkins.

again, this is why we had to resort to using Adkins.... because he doesn't use the bullpen correctly..

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 05:27 AM)
Just to make a point, I'm not being an armchair GM or manager because I've been saying this about Adkins for a very very long time. I never rip a move that I support at the time being. 

I have a few major problems with Ozzie and one of them is definately his loyalty.  Timo had two huge doubles today but there is zero reason he should be leading off or hitting the 5spot.....EVER.  Same goes for Juan Uribe in the 2 hole.  If the Sox need a leadoff guy, slide Aaron up there for the time being.

Also just to make a general comment, I was left utterly unimpressed with Brian Anderson.  I only got to see the first 9 innings (I didn't realize this would be a 16 inning game when I recorded it) so I didn't see his ab's in the extra innings, but he got owned alive by Radke.  I did like his base hit, but my god he was so far behind on quite a few pitches.  Looked more like a pitcher hitting than a hitter.

However, just a general comment and you can't judge a guy on one game (trust me on that....any guy on any given day can look like an absolute fool).  Hopefully he can ease into a comfort zone.

I couldn't agree w/you more on what you say. Anderson looked a lot more comfortable against a lefty pitcher, so that's promising. I even made the remark during the game he looked like a pitcher batting. Am I being a pessimist if I say this "Has an 11 game lead in the standings ever seemed so small"?

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
We can't blame all of this on Adkins.... OZZIE still does not know how to manage a f***ing bullpen.... Why go by the stupid ass matchup? Politte for 1/3 and Marte for 2/3 of an inning..  Unbelieveable... He could have saved them like the Twins did... He did the same f***ing thing in KC earlier this year and it ended with the same outcome OF COURSE>>> Send Ozzie to the minors and teach him how to manage a bullpen..

Ozzie cant manage the bullpen everygame like its going to go into 16 innings that only happens once every 5-10 years.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 05:32 AM)
Ozzie cant manage the bullpen everygame like its going to go into 16 innings that only happens once every 5-10 years.

Nope, but he could stop protecting Cotts so much. He hasn't allowed a run in like 17 outings. Let him go 2 innings once in a while, he has the ability to do that. Adkins shouldn't be on the team because he showed no ability to get minor league hitters out, so why would we think he could get major league hitting out? I don't know what games Ozzie and KW have been watching, but we don't have very many blow-outs for or against us.

Jason, Adkins has had one really good year in his pro-baseball career, and that was a few years ago -- to be exact, at Modesto at Oakland.

That's it.

He's a AAAA arm, someone you use if you need an extra arm for a September callup. At no point, should he EVER be on the 25-man roster of a team with the best record in baseball. It's simply inexcusible.

I'm not laying the loss on Adkins. Our hitters were garbage tonight. But people say that Adkins was brought up to throw multiple innings. Multiple innings?!?!?! He can barely get out of one inning...

I don't care if Jeff Bajenaru can only throw two innings at a time. He can at least throw those two innings a helluva lot better than Adkins can throw his three innings or whatever.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)

but playing the "matchups" every game is good? If you are a pitcher in the major leagues you should be able to pitch to lefties and righties... You get paid for it and do it... It's unbelieveable how little the relief pitchers actually do in a ballgame

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
Nope, but he could stop protecting Cotts so much.  He hasn't allowed a run in like 17 outings.  Let him go 2 innings once in a while, he has the ability to do that.  Adkins shouldn't be on the team because he showed no ability to get minor league hitters out, so why would we think he could get major league hitting out?  I don't know what games Ozzie and KW have been watching, but we don't have very many blow-outs for or against us.

I do agree with the cotts statement i would have pitched him untill the 12th. He was a starter at 1 point in his career he has the staminia to go 3 innings I mean Jenks did and he is throwing 97-99mph.

I didnt see a lot of the game the only time i saw Anderson bat was against Nathan and he looked horrible. But since it was the 16th inning with 2 outs and us down by like 5 and this also being his 1st game I wont judge him on that. He got 2 hits in the game so he was doing something obviously right but from my 1 bat experiance of watching him in the majors he looked terrible lol.

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
but playing the "matchups" every game is good? If you are a pitcher in the major leagues you should be able to pitch to lefties and righties... You get paid for it and do it... It's unbelieveable how little the relief pitchers actually do in a ballgame

Marte pitched 2/3 Politte 1/3 had we went into the ninth tied politte would have pitched the entire ninth.

edit: and marte is horrible agaist righties.

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

We've said it all along: With this pathetic offense, our pitchers have to be almost perfect to win. And please don't get me started on not having Crede guard the line. If Adkins is going to continue to throw inside sinkers, the chances of a chopper down the line are greater than almost any other outcome.