Mariotti article

RockRaines

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
Do you think it could ever even get to that?  I don't think any of them would get through the waiver process.

Supposedly the following Sox players were put on waivers.. and cleared.

Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia and Scott Podsednik.

Here's some non Sox players that also (supposedly) cleared.

Hank Blalock, Ken Griffey, Michael Young, Russ Adams, Aaron Hill, Brandon Webb, Tim Hudson, Andruw and Chipper Jones, Matt Clement, Johnny Damon, Curt Schilling, Jason Varitek, David Wells, Bobby Abreu, Chase Utley, Garret Anderson, Darin Erstad, Francisco Rodriguez, Scot Shields, Rickie Weeks, Carlos Beltran, and Pedro Martinez.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)

Hank Blalock, Ken Griffey, Michael Young, Russ Adams, Aaron Hill, Brandon Webb, Tim Hudson, Andruw and Chipper Jones, Matt Clement, Johnny Damon, Curt Schilling, Jason Varitek, David Wells, Bobby Abreu, Chase Utley, Garret Anderson, Darin Erstad, Francisco Rodriguez, Scot Shields, Rickie Weeks, Carlos Beltran, and Pedro Martinez.

Link?

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
I had to chuckle when I read that.  :P

Two words:  Do. It.

I've been agreeing with him the past few articles.  I don't know what's wrong with him.

I'd love to have griffey. He would put us over the top. I don't understand this money thing with Reinsdorf because did or did not Kenny William say when asked if getting a player for the stretch, " Money is no problem". :huh

QUOTE(forrestg @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
I'd love to have griffey. He would put us over the top.  I don't understand this money thing with Reinsdorf  because did or did not Kenny William say when asked if getting a player for the stretch, " Money is no problem". :huh

Finally!! I can't wait for it to come out that nor getting Griffey is likely Jerry's fault because he's a cheap bastard... bla, bla, bla....

QUOTE(forrestg @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
I'd love to have griffey. He would put us over the top.  I don't understand this money thing with Reinsdorf  because did or did not Kenny William say when asked if getting a player for the stretch, " Money is no problem". :huh

What have you heard that makes you think JR won't spring for Griffey? It does help the Sox to get the best financial deal possible. To me, it seems that this is matter of the Reds not wanting to lower the value of the franchise.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
There are some suprising players on that list.

But Blalock how could no one claim?

Or has it become that GM's almost claim no one out of respect to the other teams?

SB

Because they know Texas would pull him back.

From all that I have ever heard the waiver process is a joke.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
There are some suprising players on that list.

But Blalock how could no one claim?

Or has it become that GM's almost claim no one out of respect to the other teams?

SB

Sometimes I think GM's don't put claims in because it's painfully obvious that certain players and their contracts would not just be handed over. But I don't know.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)

I'm sorry, but 90% of those names I just don't believe at all.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
Someone should explain to this idiot how trades work after July 31st

Because NO ONE would claim Brain Anderson from the wire.

Ditto...I'd love to have agreed with Mariotti here...but come on, if you're going to get a big paycheck from the Sun Times and from ESPN, at least have the dignity to learn how the rules of the game work.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)

ESPN.com folks. Theres a link right on the front page. Claiming Cy Young Candidates makes no sense, because we wouldnt release them. Come on. Lots of great players go through waivers.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
ESPN.com folks.  Theres a link right on the front page.  Claiming Cy Young Candidates makes no sense, because we wouldnt release them.  Come on.  Lots of great players go through waivers.

Is the list of pulled back up yet....? I'm asking before I believe ESPN.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)

Not sure why you're sorry. I didn't make the list. Just passed it along...

Not quite sure why I keep making that mistake. :headshake

That list is straight from Gammons ESPN Insider article. I'm not gonna post an insider article on here but I'm looking right at it...So for those who are sorry for not believing the list: BELIEVE

How about a few more who got through waivers who Gammons said may be available:

How about relievers? Steve Kline, Ryan Vogelsong, Jason Christiansen, Scott Schoeneweis, Justin Speier, LaTroy Hawkins, Duaner Sanchez, Ramon Ortiz and Braden Looper.

And starters? Josh Fogg, Odalis Perez, Derek Lowe, Tom Glavine, Joe Mays, Tomo Ohka, Jose Lima, Bruce Chen and Joel Pineiro.

Position Players: Mike Piazza Griffey and Sweeney. Frank Catalanotto, Dustan Mohr, Todd Hollandsworth, Todd Walker and Edgardo Alfonzo.

Everyone happy now?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
Ditto...I'd love to have agreed with Mariotti here...but come on, if you're going to get a big paycheck from the Sun Times and from ESPN, at least have the dignity to learn how the rules of the game work.

actually juggernaut is showing that anderson might not have to clear waivers in the griffey rumor thread.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
I don't know, those statements by him seem preety thought out and researched.

Let me put it simply for you.

The only way to remove a player from your 40 man roster is to waive him, making him eligible to be claimed by all 29 other teams. Brian Anderson is on the 40-man roster. He would be claimed by 25 teams. He will not clear waivers. I don't care what double talk Juggs is feeding you.

Put him on ignore, you'll be smarter because of it.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
That list is straight from Gammons ESPN Insider article. I'm not gonna post an insider article on here but I'm looking right at it...So for those who are sorry for not believing the list: BELIEVE

Thanks.. but I'm so used to it by now. ;)