Dear Hawk,

SnB

The things that I dislike about Hawk are...

a.)The complaining. And, IMO, it's been worse this year than ever before. I can understand it once in a while, it's human reaction, but some of the pitches where he says "where was that pitch?" are like a foot off the plate.

b.)The whole Griffey thing was pretty embarrassing. If he doesn't think Griffey has a place on this team, stop reading emails w/r/t KGJ.

c.)Some of his Billy Beane tirades of earlier in the year and of years past were very annoying.

and, finally, I don't like some of the subtle things he does during a broadcast. Like, today, in the latter part of the game, DJ was doing the play-by-play, and Crede makes the diving catch, and out of nowhere, Hawks goes, "YES!". I dunno, I don't like that very much. And, I would mute him and put on Rooney and Farmer, but the radio broadcast is ahead of the HDTV broadcast by about six-seven seconds.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawk has always been a big apologist for the front office and for underperforming players and busted prospects.

I hate the "You know, I think this kid is going to be just fine" comments he does when a guy just up from AAA pops up for the 10th straight time, or the "You know, I think this one is going to be different" thing he did before each 5th starter last season.

I know radio/TV guys can't outright attack the front office that employs them, but Farmer and Rooney at least criticize the team sometimes. "That ball needs to be caught", "that play has to be made", etc.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 01:23 AM)
The things that I dislike about Hawk are...

a.)The complaining.  And, IMO, it's been worse this year than ever before.  I can understand it once in a while, it's human reaction, but some of the pitches where he says "where was that pitch?" are like a foot off the plate.

b.)The whole Griffey thing was pretty embarrassing.  If he doesn't think Griffey has a place on this team, stop reading emails w/r/t KGJ. 

c.)Some of his Billy Beane tirades of earlier in the year and of years past were very annoying. 

and, finally, I don't like some of the subtle things he does during a broadcast.  Like, today, in the latter part of the game, DJ was doing the play-by-play, and Crede makes the diving catch, and out of nowhere, Hawks goes, "YES!".  I dunno, I don't like that very much.  And, I would mute him and put on Rooney and Farmer, but the radio broadcast is ahead of the HDTV broadcast by about six-seven seconds.

Agreed, those are the things that pretty much annoy me when watching a broadcast. I usually just listen to music and watch the game. Hawk's interjection does nothing for me anymore really.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
Some of your comments are about as way off as they can get.

1.  "The fact is that most people just don't like Hawk" - please show us evidence, wait never mind, you can't. 

2.  Re: ticket sales, "... he doesn't help" -  Really?  The White Sox marketing surveys say he's extremely popular with season ticket holders.  The last I checked, the season ticket holders buy tons of tickets.

You have no clue what you're talking about on this topic, sorry.

I have been a Sox fan for over 30 years, I am a partial season ticketholder and I can't stand listening to Hawk this season. His cliches are overused " Stretch, he just missed it etc." I am glad when I am at the game so I don't have to hear him and DJ announcing. I actually prefered it when DJ was announcing with Black Jack and Robin when Hawk was out earlier this year. I am an intelligent baseball fan who wants to know what is going on with the White Sox on the field today not what he did in his career. Talk to me about baseball strategy, tell what kind of pitch the pitcher just threw not just if it is a ball or strike.

My family are all long time Sox fans, my dad since the 50's and he just can't stand listening to Hawk anymore so there are fans out there who are not Hawk lovers.

Wow, this thread is hilarious :P

Anyways, guys, what u are asking Hawk and other people to do is human nature. When umps constantly make bad calls that cost us runs and sometimes wins, then how do u expect soemone not to complain? I am one of those people, in all honesty. If an ump makes a bad call that costs us, of course I'm gonna complain. I'm at least gonna be a little ticked off, and I can't see how any Sox fan wouldn't be.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
2.  Re: ticket sales, "... he doesn't help" -  Really?  The White Sox marketing surveys say he's extremely popular with season ticket holders.  The last I checked, the season ticket holders buy tons of tickets.

Interesting...

Season ticket holders spend more time than most at the park and away from Comcast/WCIU/WGN.

I would think that they would hear Hawk less than the average fan.

Why would you base someone's popularity on people who don't watch Hawk as much on TV as we do?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
I think it is funny that people are complaining about Hawk's whining during games... Have people ever reread what they posted in some game threads? 

There is about 500 posts of :crying:

Thank you. I understand Hawk lately can be a little strange, but hey he's doing pretty good for a guy his age, and then considering what he went through with his eye and everything. I can't blae him for bashing the umps, becuase teh fact is they have been screwing us up this year. I don't want to sound paranoid, but with that and the fact we've been getting drilled so much this year, I think Crazy Carl's conspiracy theories aren't too farfetched.

I have limited access to other broadcasts mainly cubs and ESPN and I'll tell what Hawk is better than most. Think about how hard it is to be entertaining on television covering one team the whole season. On the national side there is plenty of issues to cover about guys/the team as they are on once in a while (unless you are the Yanks, cubs, or Boston.)

On the radio you can fill time with the visual aspects of the game which would be just stupid on television. I think this is why most people would get tired of the same old thing.

The cub broadcasters are terrible. Yesterday as they were telling about how good Williamson looks he gives up a three run game ending (essentially) homer.

I like the homer side, that is why I am watching the Sox. I think the cliches are becoming a tad much. It seems most people that do not like / hate him, will dislike anyone that is in there.

The Griffey thing is bad.

QUOTE(effectivelywild @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 07:37 AM)
Honestly, most of my white sox fan friends think that Hawk is almost single-handedly detroying the fan base.  Television is crucial to developing fans.  Hawk can be just painful to listen to sometimes.  Honestly, I could do a better job.

just so long as you are being honest. :P

My family are all long time Sox fans, my dad since the 50's and he just can't stand listening to Hawk anymore so there are fans out there who are not Hawk lovers.

I never claimed there weren't.

I would safely guess that they aren't the overwhelming majority as the other guy in this thread suggests. Far from it.

I love Hawk and his homerism and all his cliches. But his sometimes towing the company line bothers me. The "where would he play" crap was assinine. And some will call me crazy about this but I really think his constant complaining about the umpiring hurts the White Sox. I'm quite sure umpires know he's been pretty critical this year, and if you have noticed, the Sox rarely have a close call go their way. I think his moaning may have something to do with it.

QUOTE(LauraJ14 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
I am an intelligent baseball fan who wants to know what is going on with the White Sox on the field today not what he did in his career.   Talk to me about baseball strategy,  tell what kind of pitch the pitcher just threw not just if it is a ball or strike.

I'm with you on that one. I swear to god, if I have to listen to them discuss their approach to hitting the change up...ugh. But more often than not I enjoy the Hawk. I miss Wimpy, however. Sorry DJ.

One nice thing about MLB.TV is the occasional break from those two so you can hear some other announcing teams, some of whom are very good. I actually like Cleveland's crew. Detroit's is good, too. Blylevin and that tool in Minny are homers just like Hawk and DJ, however. And I like KC's crew -- just straight up announcing, old school.

Edited by The Ginger Kid