Chicago White Sox 2005: The Season

the People's Champ

How far must this team go in order for the season to not be a disappointment?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How far must this team go in order for the season to not be a disappointment?

• World Series Winner or it was Worthless!!
    • AL Championship Series Winner or it was a Catastrophe!
    • AL Divisional Series Winner or it was a Disaster!
    • Playoff appearance or it was Pathetic!
    • Doesn't matter, this season is one hell of a ride!

I thoroughly enjoy watching them while still trying to remember that its only a game and they (and the organisation) are the only ones that its a life and death matter for. Of course I will be disappointed if we go out in the first round but that won't affect my feelings for the season.

The Illini broke my heart this year but I will always have the best memories from the WHOLE season. All I have to do is think of Arizona and I just smile.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
So you are disappointed in them every season they don't win a World Series?? Thats not fair

How is that not fair? In the words of a wise Jets coach "You play to win the game." Every game. You play to win and every season your goal is to win the most games and win the championship. Hell yeah I get dissapointed when we don;t make the playoffs of if we get swept in the 1st round. Pssh, World Series or bust. That is how it will always be for me.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
If they don't win the division it will be pathetic, horrible, humiliating, life negating, etc. Everything else I could probably stand them not winning--but not the division, not this year.

I agree with you, since they werent even factored in the equation at this point. I will be happy taking the division. Everything else will be icing on the cake! :gosox1:

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 01:48 AM)
This is no dynasty. This team is overachieving and it will NOT happen next year, not unless we get more offense somehow and I mean a LOT of it. That being said, I don't see why they can't ride whatever it is they've been riding so far all the way to the WS this year.

I thought we were going to have a dynasty during the early 2000s with the young talent we had. Those yearly failures since makes you appreciate any time you can get into the playoffs. How's that Cubs dynasty with Wood and Prior going? With the Indians being loaded with young, terrific players...this is the year to win the AL Central!

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
This is no dynasty. This team is overachieving and it will NOT happen next year, not unless we get more offense somehow and I mean a LOT of it. That being said, I don't see why they can't ride whatever it is they've been riding so far all the way to the WS this year.

Ohh, thanks for the info, I guess I don't have to watch next season then.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
I agree with you, since they werent even factored in the equation at this point.  I will be happy taking the division.  Everything else will be icing on the cake! :gosox1:

For me the main thing is I love the game. I'll watch the playoffs irregardless of who is in them (although if because of some freak tragic thing the Sox don't make it--I might not watch, or at least cry while watching, in my bathrobe with ice-cream). When the Sox do well I'm super happy, but I just love to watch the game. Obviously it's preferable for the Sox to win, but I think when you get so focused on winning you forget what a great game baseball is.

The Indians aren't that young.

You sure about that? C.C. Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Jake Westbrook, Grady Sizemore, Coco Crisp, Jhonny Peralta, Travis Hafner, and Victor Martinez are all young. :huh

Keep in mind that their young players are actually good. We have young guys like Uribe and Crede.

Edited by GoSoxGo

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
The Illini broke my heart this year but I will always have the best memories from the WHOLE season.  All I have to do is think of Arizona and I just smile.

Exactly, losing the NC game sucked but when I think back on the season I think of Arizona, the winning streak, Wake Forest, etc. Those memories are all going to be with me forever. I will be somewhat disappointed with anything short of a World Series but I'm just enjoying the ride, however not making the playoffs would be pathetic.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
I thought we were going to have a dynasty during the early 2000s with the young talent we had.  Those yearly failures since makes you appreciate any time you can get into the playoffs.  How's that Cubs dynasty with Wood and Prior going?  With the Indians being loaded with young, terrific players...this is the year to win the AL Central!

Yep, I always say that of all the major sports, baseball is the toughest one to repeat in. Wiht the exception of the Yankees and Braves, most teams get a real legitimate shot once every 5 years or so. When it's there, you gotta go for it.

QUOTE(GoSoxGo @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
You sure about that?  C.C. Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Jake Westbrook, Grady Sizemore, Coco Crisp, Jhonny Peralta, Travis Hafner, and Victor Martinez are all young.  :huh

Keep in mind that their young players are actually good.  We have young guys like Uribe and Crede.

Hafner is 28 and Westbrook is just about to turn 28 so I wouldn't necessarily consider them young. They have some young players but as a group they aren't very young, their average age is 29.3, ours is 29.5.

Hafner is 28 and Westbrook is just about to turn 28 so I wouldn't necessarily consider them young.  They have some young players but as a group they aren't very young, their average age is 29.3, ours is 29.5.

To be more specific, the Indians' key position players are mostly young...

Coco Crisp

Victor Martinez

Jhonny Peralta

Grady Sizemore

These 4 guys are all good, young players. We have Uribe and Crede as our young position players. Are Uribe and Crede even close to any of these guys offensively?

QUOTE(GoSoxGo @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)

Coco Crisp

Victor Martinez

Jhonny Peralta

Grady Sizemore

These 4 guys are all good, young players.  We have Uribe and Crede as our young position players.  Are Uribe and Crede even close to any of these guys offensively?

Aaron Rowand doesn't count? Anyways, I'll take Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Bobby Jenks, Neal Cotts, they can have the offense, I'll take the pitching. :)

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(GoSoxGo @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)

Coco Crisp

Victor Martinez

Jhonny Peralta

Grady Sizemore

These 4 guys are all good, young players.  We have Uribe and Crede as our young position players.  Are Uribe and Crede even close to any of these guys offensively?

Rowand?

Aaron Rowand doesn't count?  Anyways, I'll take Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Bobby Jenks, Neal Cotts, they can have the offense, I'll take the pitching. :)

Good point, I forgot about Rowand. But if last season was a fluke and this is the real Rowand, he isn't as good offensively as those guys either.

However, our pitching staff does look to be better in the future than the Indians. Especially when they lose Millwood to free agency. He is going to want huge dollars this offseason. But I still think their offense will be way better than ours now and in the future.

Edited by GoSoxGo

ok so we all know that they are going to make the playoffs (fingers crossed) and I believe that they will gain respect only if they are able to win the divisional series and make it to the championship....I honestly think that it will be disappointing if they DO NOT make it to the world series....but it has been a great season to be a part of

QUOTE(GoSoxGo @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
Good point, I forgot about Rowand.  But if last season was a fluke and this is the real Rowand, he isn't as good offensively as those guys either.

However, our pitching staff does look to be better in the future than the Indians.  Especially when they lose Millwood to free agency.  He is going to want huge dollars this offseason.  But I still think their offense will be way better than ours now and in the future.

Now you're changing the point. :P I was never arguing that their offense wasn't good, I was saying overall they aren't as young as people make them out to be. Sure, they do have some nice young offensive talent but it's not like their whole team is in their low 20's. Anyways, like I said, they can have their hitting core, I'll take our pitching core. :)

Now you're changing the point. :P  I was never arguing that their offense wasn't good, I was saying overall they aren't as young as people make them out to be.  Sure, they do have some nice young offensive talent but it's not like their whole team is in their low 20's.  Anyways, like I said, they can have their hitting core, I'll take our pitching core. :)

Agreed, I'd rather have better young pitching. But I sure as hell wouldn't mind having a Jhonny Peralta on our team.