Griffey Jr.: 'I'm not going' to the White Sox

greasywheels121

This may be in the beast thread, but I wouldn't know. I think this article entitled its own thread.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2145074

Griffey tries to quiet trade rumors

ESPN.com news services

Ken Griffey Jr. is trying to cool down rumors that trade talks about the center fielder between the Chicago White Sox and Cincinnati Reds are heating up.

"I'm not going to Chicago," Griffey told The Dayton Daily News on Saturday night. "I'm in Pittsburgh with the Cincinnati Reds, and that's where I'm staying."

Radio and television reports in Chicago said that trade talks between the two teams are simmering.

The Daily News reported Sunday that the White Sox did call the Reds again this week about Griffey and even offered to take on more of Griffey's salary, but were refused.

The White Sox, despite having an AL-best 79-47 record, having scored just 585 runs, worst among the AL's division or wild-card leaders.

Griffey, who is having a renaissance season with 32 home runs and 89 RBI for the foundering Reds, would give the White Sox offense a much-needed shot in the arm.

However, Griffey continued to laugh off trade rumors on Saturday and said nothing new.

"The ballclub has not made a formal offer to me, so there is nothing to say. Will I accept a trade? I haven't talked to anybody on the club about it," Griffey told The Daily News.

The trading deadline to set playoff rosters is Aug. 31.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
How much clearer can he be? Some of you are living in some serious denial, he's not coming get over it!

As long as people are asking about it...we here at Soxtalk and all over the sports world will discuss it. At Midnight September 1st will we know if he's coming here or not. Until then, let the talk continue!!!

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 06:14 PM)
As long as people are asking about it...we here at Soxtalk and all over the sports world will discuss it.  At Midnight September 1st will we know if he's coming here or not.  Until then, let the talk continue!!!

kill me now, God.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
How much clearer can he be? Some of you are living in some serious denial, he's not coming get over it!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
kill me now, God.

I cant wait until its over. Then I can stop listening to you two whine about everyone talking about it.

Seriously, if you dont want to think that its possible, than stay away from the thread. You have made your point, you both dont believe its happening, I heard it the 1st 50 billion times.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:02 AM)
I cant wait until its over.  Then I can stop listening to you two whine about everyone talking about it.

Seriously, if you dont want to think that its possible, than stay away from the thread.  You have made your point, you both dont believe its happening, I heard it the 1st 50 billion times.

If you look at my total posts, I have not even come close to 1 billion posts. I don't see how it is possible that I have posted that even close to 50 billion times along with the other sane individual.

by the way, Griffey isnt coming to Chicago! :bang

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
If you look at my total posts, I have not even come close to 1 billion posts.  I don't see how it is possible that I have posted that even close to 50 billion times along with the other sane individual.

by the way, Griffey isnt coming to Chicago!  :bang

/insert rimshot

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
If you look at my total posts, I have not even come close to 1 billion posts.  I don't see how it is possible that I have posted that even close to 50 billion times along with the other sane individual.

by the way, Griffey isnt coming to Chicago!  :bang

I don't know, that Bruce Levine is always right!

He's claiming this s*** again on AM1000 today...deal in the next day....its driving me nuts!

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)
I don't know, that Bruce Levine is always right!

He's claiming this s*** again on AM1000 today...deal in the next day....its driving me nuts!

He is pulling this out of his ass. There is absolutely no truth to what he is saying, and he should honestly be fired for it.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
He is pulling this out of his ass.  There is absolutely no truth to what he is saying, and he should honestly be fired for it.

im not sure we couldnt at least get the deal considered again if we wanted to take his whole contract.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
He is pulling this out of his ass.  There is absolutely no truth to what he is saying, and he should honestly be fired for it.

He really seems to just absolutely make things up...and he is respected by all these stations and networks...unreal.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
im not sure we couldnt at least get the deal considered again if we wanted to take his whole contract.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. KW and JR have to want the best team available for the playoffs.

Come on JR, Win or Die Trying.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
He really seems to just absolutely make things up...and he is respected by all these stations and networks...unreal.

name me a credible baseball guy who has the same, or similar job as Bruce Levine. All those guys get the same rap, they throw a bunch of s*** against the wall to see what sticks. Its what they do, every single one of them. Bruce is no different, he is the Cubs version of Peter Gammons(without the salmon colored suits). Sometimes he is right, but it is few and far between, just like Gammons.

Lets drop the whole Griffey talk. He isn't coming here. He said he isn't coming here, and he doesn't want to leave his home town.

KW should go after a smaller fish, but one that can be a solid peice to this puzzle. IMO Ibanez would be a great pickup. He is just a solid player, and would fit in nice as our 4th OFer. I know Ozzie has a fetish for Timo, but KW needs to beef up our bench alittle bit more as we go down the final stretch of the season. Any other names out there?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)

my brother sat next to one of the am1000 producers friday night at a wedding. he said that bruce levines source within teh organization are often kenny williams himself. kenny leaks a few things out to him, but i personally dont think he makes the crap up. besides what you have to remember, is the amount of talking and potential trades that being talked about at any given time. you gotta realize that if he reports that there are intense talks between two teams, that damn near all of them dont end up coming to fruition anyways. its just how trading is, alotta talking and not alot of acting

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
When is the actual deadline for this one?  Is it midnight on the 31st, or is it some time during the day like the last one?

compare griffeys numbers to those of david ortiz.

griffey .302 .371 .578 33HR 90 RBI 30 2b

ortiz .295 .389 .580 33HR 115 RBI 36 2b

pretty damn similar. i know griffey is older with a bigger injury risk, but put him at DH for the next 3 years and that risk is greatly reduced. if im KW i would be willing to take on nearly all of griffeys contract in order to get him. Ortiz/manny is top 1-2 punch in AL, sheff/arod is second, and i think PK/griffey would be 3rd best. just think of how ortiz changes teh way the pitchers pitch when we were playin the bosox, and think about adding something similar in griffey. to me, with our pitching, it instantly makes us favorites in teh AL. KW has to offer more money to take on this guy