Griffey Jr.: 'I'm not going' to the White Sox

greasywheels121

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
If someone can please post what's said (by Levine) ... much appreciated.  Those stuck on a 2 hour teleconference would like to know! :P

I got my teleconference out of the way at 10 AM just so I could listen to good old Bruce. ;)

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
If someone can please post what's said (by Levine) ... much appreciated.  Those stuck on a 2 hour teleconference would like to know! :P

"Hi, I'm Bruce Levine. According to my sources the White Sox have had interest in Ken Griffey Jr."

That's about all he'll say. :P

Well, I'm confused by this thread. There was one post that said Levine thinks the deal will indeed happen in the next day or so, and now he's saying he doesn't think Griffey will go to Reds mgmt. and ask for a trade?

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
Well, I'm confused by this thread.  There was one post that said Levine thinks the deal will indeed happen in the next day or so, and now he's saying he doesn't think Griffey will go to Reds mgmt. and ask for a trade?

Bruce is basically saying that Griffey has to make it known that he wants out of Cinci to fascillitate the trade.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Well, I'm confused by this thread.  There was one post that said Levine thinks the deal will indeed happen in the next day or so, and now he's saying he doesn't think Griffey will go to Reds mgmt. and ask for a trade?

He covered both his basis within 48 hours, now on September 1st he can say he had the right story

Bruce is basically saying that Griffey has to make it known that he wants out of Cinci to fascillitate the trade.

Yes, that part I get, but is he saying he does or doesn't think Griffey will do that?

Seems to me if Levine is saying he thinks the deal will get done b-4 Wed., he feels Griffey will go to Reds mgmt. and ask for the trade.

Did he speculate at all on that?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
He isnt saying anything he hasnt already said before. bruce is pretty convinced that Griffey is the only one that the Sox are pursuing.

They should of left seattle with Ibanez. He is a hell of a lot more attainable than Griffey and hits lefties and righties similiar. He has more of a line drive swing and can fill a few positions in the lineup(OF and 1b).

I would be amazed if the KGJ thing would happen, I admire KW for going for it, but hopefully he has a backup plan. Our offense has struggled for a month now. Its a bit concerning before we go to battle in the playoffs that our offense can be shut down so bad. Bowden just ripped the Nats for not being able to score. However that team has outscored the Whitesox over the month of August by over 25 runs. We can thank a great pitching staff for keeping us in this and semi-afloat. Hopefully they can step it up in the playoffs.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
Yes, that part I get, but is he saying he does or doesn't think Griffey will do that?

Seems to me if Levine is saying he thinks the deal will get done b-4 Wed., he feels Griffey will go to Reds mgmt. and ask for the trade.

No, he didnt speculate much at all. he just repeated the same things he has been repeating for weeks. He said Griffey is talking out of both sides of his mouth(which is a pot-meet-kettle type story if you ask me) about where he wants to be. I guess the only good thing you can draw from this, if you want Griffey, is that Griffey has never come out and said he wont allow the trade to happen.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
They should of left seattle with Ibanez.  He is a hell of a lot more attainable than Griffey and hits lefties and righties similiar.  He has more of a line drive swing and can fill a few positions in the lineup(OF and 1b). 

I would be amazed if the KGJ thing would happen, I admire KW for going for it, but hopefully he has a backup plan.  Our offense has struggled for a month now.  Its a bit concerning before we go to battle in the playoffs that our offense can be shut down so bad.  Bowden just ripped the Nats for not being able to score.  However that team has outscored the Whitesox over the month of August by over 25 runs.  We can thank a great pitching staff for keeping us in this and semi-afloat.  Hopefully they can step it up in the playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him transform into a HR hitter after coming to the Cell. It seems like the temptation is too much for guys.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)

jim I did hear what he had to say, first he did not say we will get him. He said the Sox are only interested in a high profile player like Griffey. he said that Griffey needs to come out and say he wants to move to the american league and DH half the time to extend his career and the whitesox right now are the team best to do that. If he doesn't he won't be moved. Also remember he has right of refusal, therefore, if he doesn't say this it doesn't matter what the reds want. Net net, Bruce never talked about the sox getting griffey or if the deal is on or off or if players were agreed too. He did say the sox sweetened the money taken on.

A whole lot of nothing.

Griffey is staying with the Reds. Its just Bruce's imagination that is keeping this alive. The Reds don't really want to trade him, and he really doesn't want to play for the White Sox. Guillen said he talked to KW about the team for 2 hours on Saturday, and Griffey was not even mentioned.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
Guillen said he talked to KW about the team for 2 hours on Saturday, and Griffey was not even mentioned.

That means nothing absolutely nothing.....

EDIT: Let me add I also don't think Griffey is going anywhere but just cause Ozzie said him and Kenny didn't talk about him doesn't mean anything.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
That means nothing absolutely nothing.....

EDIT: Let me add I also don't think Griffey is going anywhere but just cause Ozzie said him and Kenny didn't talk about him doesn't mean anything.

I would think if they are discussing the team and possible personel moves, it would mean a lot that he wasn't mentioned. People shouldn't waste their time listening to Bruce Levine. He is the ONLY person who has this deal anything but dead. Ken Rosenthal was on the Fox pre-game Saturday and he said there was no chance Griffey was going anywhere. His track record has been far better than Levine's.