Game Thread 8/29

Ishmookie

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
Who on this thread honesty thinks the White Sox as they are constructed right now are serious WS contenders?

Not I. I'm still greatly concerned we're not making the playoffs. I see one team playing loose and with a ton of confidence...and the Sox seem to be playing not to lose. How are we going to beat the Indians when we play them if they continue to hit so well?

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
KW has about 2 days to save this offense.

We have our big splash. Geoff Blum. Do you think that KW would of waited till this point to fix this? This is what we will get shut down in the playoffs with. This is our team.

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
well if he got here tommorrow:

a) the fans would go nuts

B) We instantly become the talk of the playoff teams nationwide

C) He instantly puts power in our lineup.

D) We sell more tickets.

E) He makes our lineup better.

Good press, good power, superstar, left handed hitter, all makes for a whirlwind of confidence this team would get a huge shot in the arm. that is why KW is tryign so hard to get him. He is a difference maker.

Not to mention the intimidation. The White Sox are getting to be a pretty comfortable oppenent for opposing pitchers. Adding Griffey would make everyone better. Too bad it isn't going to happen. It would have been perfect.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
SS, 3B, DH, and 4th outfielder.  Those were all areas we could have really used an upgrade.

And like I said. 3b I agree. YOu would need an above average player to take over DH, and SS is not a position of upgrade overall. He is there for D. And 4th outfield isn't the reason for our struggles.

3B would have been our only viable upgrade unless we couldve gotten Griffey at DH, which wasn't going to happen.

We just need our guys to stop playing below their career average.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
Not to mention the intimidation. The White Sox are getting to be a pretty comfortable oppenent for opposing pitchers. Adding Griffey would make everyone better. Too bad it isn't going to happen. It would have been perfect.

Remember when everyone got bent out of shape when Varitek said that our offense doesnt scare anyone, that our lineup has a bunch of guys that are easily pitched to.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
We could only put a average player at one position. It would take an above average player at pretty much everywhere else except SS and Uribe is our SS for his D.

Todd Walker would come off the bench. So would Lawton. and a bunch of others i've seen named. Ibanez is comparable to Everett at DH.

Well lets go one step farther, they could have overpaid for visquel, had Uribe be the supersub then keep trying for griffey. My point is its KW's job to search and think and find a way to make the club better for the world series. The beginning of the year is to put a team in place to get to the playoffs, mid year its to put a team inplace to get to the world series. He gets an A for part one, and a D for part 2. So far he gets a C plus, which doesn't win you the world series. remember MONEY IS NO OBJECT. JR on record. every other year Money was an object and the one year when its not he doesn't do s***.

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
Well lets go one step farther, they could have overpaid for visquel, had Uribe be the supersub then keep trying for griffey. My point is its KW's job to search and think and find a way to make the club better for the world series. The beginning of the year is to put a team in place to get to the playoffs, mid year its to put a team inplace to get to the world series. He gets an A for part one, and a D for part 2. So far he gets a C plus, which doesn't win you the world series. remember MONEY IS NO OBJECT. JR on record. every other year Money was an object and the one year when its not he doesn't do s***.

Maybe they don't want to give up Vizquel. Maybe they want to keep him around for next year because they know they will need to make a run as it will probabaly be Bonds last year there and everyone is gettting old.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
Maybe they don't want to give up Vizquel. Maybe they want to keep him around for next year because they know they will need to make a run as it will probabaly be Bonds last year there and everyone is gettting old.

He's saying when he was a free agent. If they added another year at about $3 million, Omar would be at SS.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
Who on this thread honesty thinks the White Sox as they are constructed right now are serious WS contenders?

not me, and I am a season ticket holder of 6 seats, love my team, but they are not going anywhere without help.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
We could only put a average player at one position. It would take an above average player at pretty much everywhere else except SS and Uribe is our SS for his D.

Based on OPS, we have quite a few below average players for their respective positions: Podsednik, Rowand, Crede, Uribe, and Everett. And there's only two players in the lineup that one could call above average (Konerko, Dye).

That's pretty bad.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
Remember when everyone got bent out of shape when Varitek said that our offense doesnt scare anyone, that our lineup has a bunch of guys that are easily pitched to.

Yes, I do. And I still think Varitek is an overpaid loud mouth on a team that's going nowhere this year. So he can shove it.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)

this board gets nuts when our people say that about our team. I don't understnad why people don't like the truth

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
He's saying when he was a free agent. If they added another year at about $3 million, Omar would be at SS.

You don't know that. Unless they were in on the negotiations. Plus Uribe would still be in the lineup, because there would be no Iguchi, so that doesn't solve anything.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
Based on OPS, we have quite a few below average players for their respective positions: Podsednik, Rowand, Crede, Uribe, and Everett. And there's only two players in the lineup that one could call above average (Konerko, Dye).

That's pretty bad.

Exactly. we need them to start playing better, not try to go find replacements for them.

A homerun and a double to Mark DeRosa? Are you serious? Hes supposed to be the easy out in this tough lineup, but Buehrles making him the star. And our fielding has to be on top of their game. We cant go around giving outs to a team like this. We already have two errors. Thats unnacceptable. How on earth did this team make it to 31 games over .500? I havent seen the fundamental play necessary for such greatness lately. They look just like any other team, just mediocre. What happened to the aggressiveness, the art of advancing runners using small ball and not just swinging for the fences? These guys are on a homerun binge, and it better end come playoff time or theyre not going anywhere. Fundamentals got us here, and now the players seem to think its fine to leave them behind now. Since that disaster As series before the break, we have been a .500 team, just like all the previous years, because we decided to abandon fundamentals and just go for the long ball. That is going to get us nowhere. FUNDAMENTALS!