**Official 8/31/05 Game Thread**

Brian

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
Hawk laying into the media once again.

For what? I'm stuck at school unable to listen to the game.

And unless I missed a certain article, there hasn't been much collapse talk as I invisioned this series. Don't know what he could be complaining about.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
Why does El Duque always want to throw a plethora of pitches

He is so amused with his extensive arsenal of pitches and arm angles I presume

yeah...and he wants to present each pitch at different angles to every hitter, in one at bat...lol

Edited by TheBlackSox8

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
Just a generic comment that this is when you go back home and hope to see a new teamate to help you out, and then he said he wasnt talking about sept callups.

Didn't Farmio also say Jake Peavy was available a month ago?

Guys, I'm going to suggest a contrary view of today's line-up. If the Sox were fighting for their playoff lives, every starter would probably be playing. Of course Ozzie hopes to win this game, but he may also recognize that a 5-5 road trip that included Minnesota and a good-hitting Ranger team is pretty good. All you can hope for is to play .500 on the road. As a former player who has been through the grind of many a season, Ozzie knows what the stretch run is like. Resting his players like this may be an expression of confidence and that he believes the most important thing is to make sure everyone is rested and ready to go come October. Teams like the Indians, Yankees, A's and Angels probably don't have the luxury of resting players because of the tight wild card race. Lack of rest may cause them to stumble a bit down the stretch.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
Guys, I'm going to suggest a contrary view of today's line-up.  If the Sox were fighting for their playoff lives, every starter would probably be playing.  Of course Ozzie hopes to win this game, but he may also recognize that a 5-5 road trip that included Minnesota and a good-hitting Ranger team is pretty good.  All you can hope for is to play .500 on the road.  As a former player who has been through the grind of many a season, Ozzie knows what the stretch run is like.  Resting his players like this may be an expression of confidence and that he believes the most important thing is to make sure everyone is rested and ready to go come October.  Teams like the Indians, Yankees, A's and Angels probably don't have the luxury of resting players because of the tight wild card race.  Lack of rest may cause them to stumble a bit down the stretch.

Manuel was confident every Sunday then.

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
But we almost play .500 ay home... or worse

I thought we were the Road Warriors.... like Mad Max or something

37-27 at home is hardly .500

43-23 on the road is f***ing awesome.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
Guys, I'm going to suggest a contrary view of today's line-up.  If the Sox were fighting for their playoff lives, every starter would probably be playing.  Of course Ozzie hopes to win this game, but he may also recognize that a 5-5 road trip that included Minnesota and a good-hitting Ranger team is pretty good.  All you can hope for is to play .500 on the road.  As a former player who has been through the grind of many a season, Ozzie knows what the stretch run is like.  Resting his players like this may be an expression of confidence and that he believes the most important thing is to make sure everyone is rested and ready to go come October.  Teams like the Indians, Yankees, A's and Angels probably don't have the luxury of resting players because of the tight wild card race.  Lack of rest may cause them to stumble a bit down the stretch.

Ozzie expected more than a .500 road trip. After going 4-1 in the first 5 games of this trip, I guarantee you he would have been disappointed to know they'd possibly lose 4 of the next 5 games. There's no excuse not to win this series against the Rangers, as they have bad pitching to start, and we missed their two best starters.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
Ozzie expected more than a .500 road trip.  After going 4-1 in the first 5 games of this trip, I guarantee you he would have been disappointed to know they'd possibly lose 4 of the next 5 games.  There's no excuse not to win this series against the Rangers, as they have bad pitching to start, and we missed their two best starters.

Ozzie made comments about how he had a really good feeling about this road trip.