Let the Mariotti Bashing Begin

Texsox

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
Brandon McCarthy for Ron Villone speaksa volumns!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
All you need to know about this market is the Mariners asked for Brandon Mccarthy in exchange for Ron Villone, case closed.

:angry: Asshole :headshake

:P :lol:

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
Ok then, so let's just extremely overpay for say a Raul Ibanez by giving up Chris Young and Brandon McCarthy.

The fact is, the market DICTATED that there would be hardly any trades this year. Any other season, you know KW would have made a move, he's proven that time and time again with the Garcia trade, the Everett trade etc.

Teams that don't have winning records aren't going to give away their best players just because they may be overpaid. They want to win now too, they're sick of losing.

Tell em, Dbaho.

How anybody can be upset with Kenny is beyond me. If somebody else had been able to land Griffey, Huff, Burnett, ect, I could see why people would be upset.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
Ok then, so let's just extremely overpay for say a Raul Ibanez by giving up Chris Young and Brandon McCarthy.

The fact is, the market DICTATED that there would be hardly any trades this year. Any other season, you know KW would have made a move, he's proven that time and time again with the Garcia trade, the Everett trade etc.

Teams that don't have winning records aren't going to give away their best players just because they may be overpaid. They want to win now too, they're sick of losing.

Great post.

How can anyone knowledgeably say KW should be fired when he practically built a new team this year, which has exceeded expectations? How can you call him gun-shy when he has previously made plenty of trades to show he isn't afraid to take chances?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
Brandon McCarthy for Ron Villone speaksa volumns!

Yep, and that's the Ron Villone who has a 6.17 ERA since he was acquired, and who the Marlins gave up 2 really pitching prospects for.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 01:05 AM)
Tell em,  Dbaho.

How anybody can be upset with Kenny is beyond me.  If somebody else had been able to land Griffey,  Huff,  Burnett,  ect,  I could see why people would be upset.

Exactly. Have a look at each of them

Griffey - Frankly suprising we got so close in the 1st place. Don't blame KW, they had a deal agreed (suposedly), and then Carl Linder blocked it.

Huff - Chuck LaMar. Enough said. Think Brandon McCarthy, Chris Young and Ray Liotta. Add Baez to that and you're giving up Marte and another prime prospect like a Ryan Sweeney.

Burnett - Just look at how dominant he's been. Florida never should have bandied about trading him in the 1st place. Plus he's probably going to head to Detroit for a 4 year $45M+ deal in the off-season.

It's just unfortunate we were caught in a season where the trade market was just dead, for a number of different reasons. How do you think the Angels feel? They didn't get Mike Sweeney, and are still stuck with some underperformers in their lineup.

Of all the playoff teams, none of them are perfect. Examples, the Cardinals depth in the outfield, the A's just lost Crosby for September and maybe longer, Angels need some hitting, Boston and the Yankees pitching, Astros need offense...etc.

I scoured the transactions and I don't see any of those teams making trades. Sure Kenny had 2 months. In fact, he had since May since he likes to get the players he wants early. But, you can't fault him for trying...unless you're Mariotti. He probably blames the Saints for Katrina.

Maybe I am a KW apologist and I would do anything I can to win a world series, but to expect the Reds or Devil Rays to do anything they can to help us win a world series is expecting WAAAAY too much.

AND, this is the White Sox first losing month since August of 2004...so I would say this is a pretty successful team and it ain't over yet.

Edited by TheDybber

I don't see how anyone here culd criticize Mariotti for changing his opinion on how the team will do in the playoffs based on how they are playing at the moment. Everyone does that here and we aren't two faced, trying to cover our butts.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
I don't see how anyone here culd criticize Mariotti for changing his opinion on how the team will do in the playoffs based on how they are playing at the moment. Everyone does that here and we aren't two faced, trying to cover our butts.

That just epitomizes Mariotti as a Bandwagon Jumper, pure and simple.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)

lol...

There's a few other valid reasons for disliking mariotti before I even begin to get into the way he flip-flops...

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)

See, I have a problem with this in a way. I agree that many people changed their opinion of our team because of two bad weeks of baseball which really isn't fair to the club. It's baseball, it's 162 games and this is our first real bad stretch of the year, unfortunately it happens. I personally believe that you shouldn't change your opinion of a team that has been so good all year because of two bad weeks, but obviously that's jmo.

Mariotti is a trendy. How many kissup articles did he write about the Cubs when they were still pretenders in 03 and 04? Mariotti always checks to see which way the wind is blowing. He writes maliciously, sometimes in a very subtle way, sometimes not. He is very conniving, manipulative, deceptive, with a touch of sabotage. He hates JR and Hawk with an unhealthy passion. All of his columns have an agenda, which change with his moods. If you get the idea I can't stand the guy, you're right. I don't think anybody on this board deserves to be compared to him. 99%+ of posters here really would like to see the Sox do well. Whether we're optimists, pessimists, or in the middle some where. That's our agenda, a WS championship ring for the White Sox. Mariotti on the other hand?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
That just epitomizes Mariotti as a Bandwagon Jumper, pure and simple.

I don't think it is responsible for journalists to ever be on the bandwagon to begin with. If you want bandwagon journalism listen to hawk and read whatever excellent stuff Brooks is sending out today.

Objectivity should be their code, not cheering from the press box. In fact, that is considered very bush league to be cheering.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
I don't think it is responsible for journalists to ever be on the bandwagon to begin with. If you want bandwagon journalism listen to hawk and read whatever excellent stuff Brooks is sending out today.

Objectivity should be their code, not cheering from the press box. In fact, that is considered very bush league to be cheering.

But what about when he cheers when the going is good, only to turn around a week later and tell you "the choke is on you' when the team has a bad stretch? I have seen Mariotti say for the last month that the Sox were a lock for the playoffs, both in print and on PTI and ATH. Now he changes his tune. Windsock.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
But what about when he cheers when the going is good, only to turn around a week later and tell you "the choke is on you' when the team has a bad stretch? I have seen Mariotti say for the last month that the Sox were a lock for the playoffs, both in print and on PTI and ATH. Now he changes his tune. Windsock.

I don't think cheers or boos are the correct way to view a journalists columns. Positive and negative are better terms. And they should reflect what has happened in the field. The team has positive and negative stretches. Currenty, things are not looking like they did when we we enjoyed a 13 game lead on the division, Garland was lights out, and everyone was healthy.