Let the Mariotti Bashing Begin

Texsox

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is what i emailed him

Mr. Mariotti,

Please stop trying to shake things up in this city. Everyone knows your recent article on how the white sox could blow it is simply to get everyone peeved. Remember that "Sox won't choke" article you wrote? Well your article today not only proves Hawk Harrelson is right when he says you're a hypocrite, but you keep personally attacking him in your columns. To be honest, the arguement you and him have over the broadcast and through your columns couldn't be more Junior high, both parties included. You guys both bicker back and forth taking whatever jabs at the other you can like two 8th grade girls fighting over a boy. Please, all I urge is that you stop trying to make the last page of the suntimes a breeding ground for controversy in this town. Oh and quit doing the point finger thing on Around the horn when you score a point. we know you scored, congrats you beat woody paige, HUGE accomplishment.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Expect a response bashing your grammar and sentence structure. And probably a few insults.

yeah i could care less about that stuff, nothin formal, if im bashing him im not givin him the respect of taking teh time to make it grammatically correct

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Expect a response bashing your grammar and sentence structure. And probably a few insults.

I tried sending him a well written email where I didn't insult him, nothing like that, just stating some facts which I disagreed with and why, his response to me was: You're a sox fan, I'm not, get over it."

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
I tried sending him a well written email where I didn't insult him, nothing like that, just stating some facts which I disagreed with and why, his response to me was: You're a sox fan, I'm not, get over it."

i sent him one once saying that all he ever does is bash teams specifically the sox, and he was like "wow dont you remember the andy MacFail article on the cubs. i bashed them too. what do you want me to say rah rah ree go sox?" hes just a plain dickhead

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)

That's all he's got.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 07:13 AM)
If Mariotti was a political columnist, he'd go from ultra-conservatitive to extreme leftist and back again within a week.

Yeah he would, he started off by saying this season was a fluke, then got on the bandwagon, and is now starting to pull off again. It's just what Mariotti does, it doesn't bother me too much.

I don't see Mariotti as being a bandwagon jumper right now. I see him now as reporting the truth about what is happening to this team. He may be wrong about moves to have been made, but you can't deny a slide that has been happening since the All-Star break. Heck, right before the break we got our asses kicked.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
I don't see Mariotti as being a bandwagon jumper right now. I see him now as reporting the truth about what is happening to this team. He may be wrong about moves to have been made, but you can't deny a slide that has been happening since the All-Star break. Heck, right before the break we got our asses kicked.

He's a bandwagon jumper. No way around it. He slurps Chicago teams when they're winning, and when things aren't going so well, he writes an article similar to today's.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)

Idk, I guess it's hard to say, but he's going halfway so he'll turn out right no matter what. I still think he's going for the Sox though.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)

Ok, we were 17 and 10 after the allstar break before the 7 game losing streak. It's been 2 bad weeks, not months like people seem to believe for whatever reason....

Maybe not, but the series before the break was bad, we came back and handled the Indians well, and it has been pretty bad since. The thing is, we haven't looked like a dominating team since then. No matter what the record shows, what is scary is the play on the field, and it has not been good. It sure as heck doesn't look like a WS contending team.

I think we need to look at Mariotti as what he is- he stirs up controversy to sell his column and (with it) copies of the Sun Times. I don't think we should get too worked up over what he, or anyone else, has to say about the team. The Sox are going to do what they're going to do, no matter what anyone here posts on the bulletin board, no matter whether we've got the Joe Crede title graphic up again, and so on.

I'm worried about the Sox' chances, based on the lousy month they just had. We all knew August would be brutal. But it's possible that the Sox were exposed against the elite of the AL. I'm very hopeful that they turn it around, but I'm very worried that they won't.

Whining about the nature of this market needs to end. What Williams did last offseason should not blind any of you to the problems which exist.

I don't know how to put it any clearer than this: the position we're at with this team--our record and position in the standings, was not a justification for merely acquiring Blum. And neither is indicating the lack of moves other American League teams made is a positive for us. Sox fans shouldn't be kindergarden teachers responsible for handing out stickers to young children (this instance Williams) who TWWIIIEEED, but couldn't succeed. He failed to upgrade the offense, and now because of it, it's ALL coming on him for anything less than a pitching collapse (which he couldn't have predicted) or a ALCS birth.

Ask yourselves if future success is guaranteed with this club? With the resurgence of the Indians/Tigers, can anyone even guess whether or not we'll be in a position of a commanding lead for another 5 years? We can promote 6 contributing prospects with McCarthy leading the rotation and still find ourselves contending for 3rd place. 2005 could be our year--our window to take advantage of a stellar pitching staff and ride it through October. Now, I anticipate someone asking "you can't predict whether or not this team is guaranteed to win if a bat is acquired either!!!" Yes, but at this point, with our 4 automatic outs per evening, what we have doesn't convince me change (even at the slightest) wasn't absolutely necessary.

I've read complaints relating to the prospects we may have had to give up. McCarthy, at this juncture, was the only untouchable. For an organization unable to produce pitching talent we need to hold onto those whch succeed. The remaining prospects can all be shipped for Raul Ibanez himself for all I care. Is Chris Young guaranteed to mimmick the outstanding production he's put together? Are Sweeney, Anderson, Owens and Young going to substitute for each other in the remaining OF position (RF)?

If Young/Sweeney/Gonzalez were traded for f***ing Raul Ibanez I'd still consider it a justifiable move because the goal of baseball is to win championships. Neither of the aforementioned players have done anything to put our club in the position to strengthen itself this season. I understand the need to develop minor leaguers in order to keep a stream of cheap talent flowing. However, we're in need of help. Since no one can provide a Jeff Francouer boast we'll need help outside the organization. Even if top prospects were traded for Ibanez, and all made out to be quality major leaguers, it was worthwhile. Just think back to 2000--would any of you have overpaid for pitching if it meant trading our supposed talent? Probably not. We'd be having the same discussion.

SS2k5 asked me in another thread whether or not I'd be willing to give up several starting pitchers/outfielders for slight upgrades. No, because I doubt those were the true asking prices near the deadline. I don't recall San Diego or Boston giving up an arm and a leg for Randa or Graffanino. Or Braves/New York handing over the farm for Hollandsworth/Lawton.

Ultimately, our pitiful offense was in dire need of an upgrade. This was known prior to the passing of both trading deadlines. While Reds management blocked the KGJ prior to July 31, it was Williams duty to offer whatever possible to acquire Griffey. If Reds were unwilling to budge, it would have been within his best interests to move on. I intend to believe the Southtown article posted yesterday which claims money, not talent, was the true negotiating factor between the two clubs. Reinsdorf probably wouldn't budge on a set standard of contract he'd take on.

No one can convince me of all the teams in this league, there was not ONE bat which could be acquired to help this club. Defend Williams now and hope this offense can win games, because if we're choking down the stretch or embarrassing ourselves in the playoffs you'll all have to repeat your Williams defense several hundred times to justify it.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
Whining about the nature of this market needs to end. What Williams did last offseason should not blind any of you to the problems which exist.

I don't know how to put it any clearer than this: the position we're at with this team--our record and position in the standings, was not a justification for merely acquiring Blum. And neither is indicating the lack of moves other American League teams made is a positive for us. Sox fans shouldn't be kindergarden teachers responsible for handing out stickers to young children (this instance Williams) who TWWIIIEEED, but couldn't succeed. He failed to upgrade the offense, and now because of it, it's ALL coming on him for anything less than a pitching collapse (which he couldn't have predicted) or a ALCS birth.

Ask yourselves if future success is guaranteed with this club? With the resurgence of the Indians/Tigers, can anyone even guess whether or not we'll be in a position of a commanding lead for another 5 years? We can promote 6 contributing prospects with McCarthy leading the rotation and still find ourselves contending for 3rd place. 2005 could be our year--our window to take advantage of a stellar pitching staff and ride it through October. Now, I anticipate someone asking "you can't predict whether or not this team is guaranteed to win if a bat is acquired either!!!" Yes, but at this point, with our 4 automatic outs per evening, what we have doesn't convince me change (even at the slightest) wasn't absolutely necessary.

I've read complaints relating to the prospects we may have had to give up. McCarthy, at this juncture, was the only untouchable. For an organization unable to produce pitching talent we need to hold onto those whch succeed. The remaining prospects can all be shipped for Raul Ibanez himself for all I care. Is Chris Young guaranteed to mimmick the outstanding production he's put together? Are Sweeney, Anderson, Owens and Young going to substitute for each other in the remaining OF position (RF)?

If Young/Sweeney/Gonzalez were traded for f***ing Raul Ibanez I'd still consider it a justifiable move because the goal of baseball is to win championships. Neither of the aforementioned players have done anything to put our club in the position to strengthen itself this season. I understand the need to develop minor leaguers in order to keep a stream of cheap talent flowing. However, we're in need of help. Since no one can provide a Jeff Francouer boast we'll need help outside the organization. Even if top prospects were traded for Ibanez, and all made out to be quality major leaguers, it was worthwhile. Just think back to 2000--would any of you have overpaid for pitching if it meant trading our supposed talent? Probably not. We'd be having the same discussion.

SS2k5 asked me in another thread whether or not I'd be willing to give up several starting pitchers/outfielders for slight upgrades. No, because I doubt those were the true asking prices near the deadline. I don't recall San Diego or Boston giving up an arm and a leg for Randa or Graffanino. Or Braves/New York handing over the farm for Hollandsworth/Lawton.

Ultimately, our pitiful offense was in dire need of an upgrade. This was known prior to the passing of both trading deadlines. While Reds management blocked the KGJ prior to July 31, it was Williams duty to offer whatever possible to acquire Griffey. If Reds were unwilling to budge, it would have been within his best interests to move on. I intend to believe the Southtown article posted yesterday which claims money, not talent, was the true negotiating factor between the two clubs. Reinsdorf probably wouldn't budge on a set standard of contract he'd take on.

No one can convince me of all the teams in this league, there was not ONE bat which could be acquired to help this club. Defend Williams now and hope this offense can win games, because if we're choking down the stretch or embarrassing ourselves in the playoffs you'll all have to repeat your Williams defense several hundred times to justify it.

I agree that is what i said since trade deadline, reality is all these prospects we CANNOT give up by some will never be more than roster filler, odds say so If Sox had to overpay for someone so what, worry about 2005 not 2007.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)

Brandon Mccarthy for Ron Villone is all that needs to be said here.

Graffanino and Lawton would look a lot better than Blum and Harris, or whoever the 25th man will be.

Ozuna, Widger, Timo, Blum, Willie........this bench is disgusting.

Replace Blum and Willie with Lawton and Graffnaino and lose 4 minor league pitchers (nopt named McCarthy) and I'd be happy.

This makes my stomach turn to think how bad we are if we miss another regular.

I can not believe there was nothing to be had. KW was fixated on a big move and instead made no moves. Very bad decision.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
Graffanino and Lawton would look a lot better than Blum and Harris, or whoever the 25th man will be.

Ozuna, Widger, Timo, Blum, Willie........this bench is disgusting.

Replace Blum and Willie with Lawton and Graffnaino and lose 4 minor league pitchers (nopt named McCarthy) and I'd be happy.

This makes my stomach turn to think how bad we are if we miss another regular.

I can not believe there was nothing to be had.  KW was fixated on a big move and instead made no moves.  Very bad decision.

How about this...Timo and Ozuna were going to be on the team no matter what because ozzie loves them, Widger has to be on the roster cause he's our backup catcher, kenny made a bid for Graff but didn't get him. Basically there are 3 guys on the bench that were going to be there no matter what, that leaves one spot open if we carry 12 pitchers which we have been doing lately. Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully for the playoffs we carry 11 pitchers and Ross Gload is the extra bat off the bench cause Ross can hit.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
How about this...Timo and Ozuna were going to be on the team no matter what because ozzie loves them, Widger has to be on the roster cause he's our backup catcher, kenny made a bid for Graff but didn't get him.  Basically there are 3 guys on the bench that were going to be there no matter what, that leaves one spot open if we carry 12 pitchers which we have been doing lately.  Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully for the playoffs we carry 11 pitchers and Ross Gload is the extra bat off the bench cause Ross can hit.

correct me if I'm wrong, but since rosters expand to 40, it doesn't matter how many pitchers we carry if we want Gload up here.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
correct me if I'm wrong, but since rosters expand to 40, it doesn't matter how many pitchers we carry if we want Gload up here.

You're absolutely correct, sorry...I was talking about playoff rosters and what we've had since the trade deadline, my apologies on not making that clear.