Eating Crow: Paul Konerko

kapkomet

I will admit that I still am ready to get rid of Konerko and give someone else another chance at 1B for the money he's going to want. But I will say this. Paulie, who has raised his season average back to .280, deserves a shout out. He has been phenominal the last month or so. To be at .220 in July and get back to .280 by this point in the season is a great, great thing. We need him to continue this well in to October. If he does, this team becomes dangerous.

GOOD JOB PAULIE.

:cheers

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 07:43 AM)
Oh, and Milkman, stay out of this thread.  BECAUSE HE STILL SUCKS.

;)

man, i hate to be so critical, but what will it take for you all to shut up about trading or getting rid of paulie? its not happening. he is producing and we are winning. let me guess, we should trade him for vinnie castilla. no, jim thome. no todd helton. all those trades are GREAT ideas.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
man, i hate to be so critical, but what will it take for you all to shut up about trading or getting rid of paulie? its not happening. he is producing and we are winning. let me guess, we should trade him for vinnie castilla. no, jim thome. no todd helton. all those trades are GREAT ideas.

No you dont sound critical at all after that statement. :headshake

If Paulie can remember to KEEP using center and right field once in a while instead of always pulling the ball, he may be worth the money. Up until this last month or so, Paulie was all about the pull. You can tell he is trying to use the other parts of the field, and his swing looks smoother as a result. If he stays with the Sox, they should be showing him video clips every day of how successful he is when using the whole field.

I still don't like him, and I still think his RBI totals are too low for the amount of homers he'll hit, but he does deserve credit for raising that average and being steady for the second half of the season when a lot of other players went into the crapper. I've said before that I only want him to be re-signed if the Sox make it to the WS. Then, we'll have the money to throw around. I'm sticking with that.

OT: How do you change the time zone on here? I can't find it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
I still don't like him, and I still think his RBI totals are too low for the amount of homers he'll hit, but he does deserve credit for raising that average and being steady for the second half of the season when a lot of other players went into the crapper.  I've said before that I only want him to be re-signed if the Sox make it to the WS.  Then, we'll have the money to throw around.  I'm sticking with that.

OT:  How do you change the time zone on here?  I can't find it.

I wish we was an RBI guy like manny or Tejada, but Paulie will keep hitting hr's when there arent men on base, and thats the way he is. Suffice to say, resigning him is a better option than what is out there. It seems to be our offense lives and dies with Paulie, and that should show how important he is.

I wouldn't be surprised if PK was trying too hard during the early part of the season for two reasons:

1) free agency = $$$$$

2) to prove that he could carry this offense without Ordonez, Lee, and Thomas.

I don't think we have a clue how much money PK has made himself with this 2nd half, but I would guess he's raised his price by about 2 mil per season. As long as he continues to help the Sox, I say good for him.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
My controls, then under options on the left side, board settings.

Thanks a lot.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
I think it goes with most baseball fans, but possibly Sox fans inparticular, but I beleive we undervalue our players a little to much. Like Rock said, there is not much else out there to fill the void of Konerko, and if you think the 8 million or so we will save by not signing Kong, and putting Gload there, your very, very wrong. While Oz says we want speed and defense, even he will tell you the #1 thing this team needs is balance. We have the speed and table setters(for the most part :P ) we need Konerko as a big bat. Its about balance.

I think most overrate our players, especially prospects, a lot.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
Thanks a lot.

Which prospects would you say we overvalue? If you look at our minoir league system 2 years ago compared to now, I'd say it's in much better shape. We've had young guys contribute on this team from Jenks to Cotts to even Anderson for a game.

Oh and my thoughts on Konerko. He's going nowhere. Simply put, for the money we'd save, there's no-one out there in the FA market that is going to have the same type of impact in this lineup than Paul Konerko would. And with Thomas probably leaving, hard to see the Sox losing BOTH of their 1B / DH men.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
Thanks a lot.

Is Pauly overrated of underrated? What else is out there that would make you think he is overvalued? Would you rather have Sexson at a huge price? Im just not sure that there is anything out there for his price. Looking at his numbers this year, his dp's are WAY down from previous years, his OBP is the highest it has been, as well as his SLG%. He is on pace to break his career high in walks, and this is with minimal protection around him. He ranks 4th in the AL in hr's, 9th in SLG, 8th in BB, 10th in OPS. Top ten in the most important hitting categories in the AL. It is going to be hard to find that combo combined with his fielding prowess in the open market for his price. I have switched sides effectively, and there is no reason we shouldnt re-sign Kong.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
Which prospects would you say we overvalue? If you look at our minoir league system 2 years ago compared to now, I'd say it's in much better shape. We've had young guys contribute on this team from Jenks to Cotts to even Anderson for a game.

Oh and my thoughts on Konerko. He's going nowhere. Simply put, for the money we'd save, there's no-one out there in the FA market that is going to have the same type of impact in this lineup than Paul Konerko would. And with Thomas probably leaving, hard to see the Sox losing BOTH of their 1B / DH men.

We've had plenty of prospects that were supposed to be something special, and they never panned out. Was Jenks in our minor league system for even a season? Cotts?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Is Pauly overrated of underrated?  What else is out there that would make you think he is overvalued?  Would you rather have Sexson at a huge price?  Im just not sure that there is anything out there for his price.  Looking at his numbers this year, his dp's are WAY down from previous years, his OBP is the highest it has been, as well as his SLG%.  He is on pace to break his career high in walks, and this is with minimal protection around him.  He ranks 4th in the AL in hr's, 9th in SLG, 8th in BB, 10th in OPS.  Top ten in the most important hitting categories in the AL.  It is going to be hard to find that combo combined with his fielding prowess in the open market for his price.  I have switched sides effectively, and there is no reason we shouldnt re-sign Kong.

Plenty of our players get overrated on this board, but you can make the argument that enough of us underrate them, too. But some here think that Rowand is the greatest CF in baseball, or that Crede is one of the better 3B's in baseball and that his glove is second to none.

I think when you look at the overall picture of the team, guys like Rowand and Kong are actually pretty important pieces.

Rowand is not the best CF'er in the league, but he's probably top 5 when you look at the total pacakge.

Kong is a big bat in the lineup - and like someone else mentioned, when he doesn't look to pull every pitch thrown to him, he's a pretty good hitter. If someone can make him to not want to pull everything during at least a month of every season, he'd hit .315.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
We've had plenty of prospects that were supposed to be something special, and they never panned out.  Was Jenks in our minor league system for even a season?  Cotts?

Plenty of our players get overrated on this board, but you can make the argument that enough of us underrate them, too.  But some here think that Rowand is the greatest CF in baseball, or that Crede is one of the better 3B's in baseball and that his glove is second to none.

Milk, i hate to do this, but I need some backup to our overrating. Crede, I can see, because his O is so terrible. But I think we see that fielding is also important, but so far with our winning streak, its nice to not have an automatic out in the lineup, therefor I can see the overrated piece in Joe. As far as A-row and Kong, for the price, I cant see them overrated.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
Milk, i hate to do this, but I need some backup to our overrating.  Crede, I can see, because his O is so terrible. But I think we see that fielding is also important, but so far with our winning streak, its nice to not have an automatic out in the lineup, therefor I can see the overrated piece in Joe.  As far as A-row and Kong, for the price, I cant see them overrated.

I'm not talking about price at all. I'm talking about how Uribe is the best defender in the league, Crede is the best 3B in the history of baseball, Pods is the most important offensive player in baseball. Or stuff like Buehrle is the best pitcher in baseball, except he can't beat good teams or that Duque is going to be the greatest playoff pitcher this year.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
But some here think that Rowand is the greatest CF in baseball, or that Crede is one of the better 3B's in baseball and that his glove is second to none.

Rowand is probably the best defensive centerfielder in the league right now, and possibly top 3 as an overall centerfielder.

Crede is not that great a 3b, but his defense is one of the best in the league.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
I'm not talking about price at all.  I'm talking about how Uribe is the best defender in the league, Crede is the best 3B in the history of baseball, Pods is the most important offensive player in baseball.  Or stuff like Buehrle is the best pitcher in baseball, except he can't beat good teams or that Duque is going to be the greatest playoff pitcher this year.

Uribe is NOT the best defensive SS in the league, but he is one of the best at his age.

Crede plays borderline GG caliber defense, but in no way is he the best. I would gladly take Blalock, Chavez, Beltre, Mora, A-rod, over crede, and thats in the AL.

PODS is important to OUR team, as it should be evident in the winning streak we just hit as he came back. As far as comparable to the league, as a lead-off hitter, I would put him in the top five. And there are teams that would kill for a good plate setter like him, especially the team across town.

Buehrle isnt the best pitcher in baseball, but the most reliable and consistent. That is a major factor however in determining who the best is. The fact that you can rely on consistent starts, and quality innings, makes him an extremely conveted asset.

Duque hasnt been a great playoff pitcher since 2000, so I dont believe that he is going to be good anyway. I personally think Freddy will be the best pitcher in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
Mora makes a lot of errors at 3B and has only been playing that position for 2 years now. Defensively Crede >>> Mora.

you are correct, by 6, I think I got caught up in who is the better overall player, but I still would rather have Mora.

Mora does have a higher ZR and RF as well.

Edited by RockRaines