Who's your "other" team?

SnB

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Basketball, my favorite team by far is Illinois, and after that it's Northwestern, and then I don't really care. Maybe Boston College (and yes, I kind of liked them before their season last year), Pepperdine, Stanford, something like that.

For football, I like both Northwestern and Illinois equally, and after that it's probably Michigan (really taken a liking to them lately, in all sports), Penn State, West Virginia, VA Tech, Stanford, Texas.

I really only root for ND (since it's my undergraduate alma mater) in NCAA football, especially now since Weis is our coach. I've admired him in particular and the Patriots in general in terms of their level of organizational methods which have really lead to a golden age for NE in the NFL.

Football...Illinois is numero uno.

Texas is second...only because I live in Austin.

After that, any Illinois team (except for NW...don't really care for them).

EDIT: And Rice because my fiancee went there and they REALLY suck.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
i want to play on the football team their for the sole reason.

If you have/had a blue chip recruit for a son and YOU could pick (at least influence ) 3 of his 5 schools to visit which would you pick? I'd look for good balance of winning tradition and strong academics...nice weather wouldn't hurt either. lol oh and I wouldn't let him anywhere near the SEC!

1. Nebraska

2. Stanford

3. Notre Dame

next 2

UCLA

Michigan

Edited by Bias

QUOTE(Bias @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
If you have/had a blue chip recruit for a son and YOU could pick (at least influence ) 3 of his 5 schools to visit which would you pick? I'd look for good balance of winning tradition and strong academics...nice weather wouldn't hurt either. lol  oh and I wouldn't let him anywhere near the SEC!

1. Nebraska

2. Stanford

3. Notre Dame

next 2

UCLA

Michigan

I wouldnt pick any of those top three. Because if you have a blue chip recruit, in your mind somewhere you would want them to have a chance to go pro. Those three schools arent exactly turning out the pros these days. Michigan is just as tough academically as Neb and Notre Dame, and have a better football program as well, just wondering why you had them as an also ran. UCLA and USC are very comparable academically as well, how come USC is not on the list, but the football weakling UCLA is?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
I wouldnt pick any of those top three.  Because if you have a blue chip recruit, in your mind somewhere you would want them to have a chance to go pro.  Those three schools arent exactly turning out the pros these days.  Michigan is just as tough academically as Neb and Notre Dame, and have a better football program as well, just wondering why you had them as an also ran.  UCLA and USC are very comparable academically as well, how come USC is not on the list, but the football weakling UCLA is?

Nebraska's talent has been done due to Solich not making recruting a priority, but they still send guys to the league, Demo Williams was on MNF last night, rookie starting LB for the Falcons. Nebraska has a ton of DB's in the league. Our own Mike Brown is a Husker. Michigan has a better program than Nebraska? lmao, that's Chicago propaganda in my honest opinion.....I'll give you the last few years, but overall? Not even close.

U have to understand things go in spurts, just 4-5 years ago USC wasn't sh**. BTW for a school to be listed in a top 5 out of over 100 how is that an "also ran?" I recognize Michigan's strong academics and football tradition, it just wouldn't be one of my top 3 choices for my son.

Maybe 'cuz my son is only 4 I'm looking at things more in general than they are at this current time. That's why I'm not thinking USC and UCLA just seems like a better place to me.

Nebraska, 'cuz it's been my personal fav since 1982...I've been there and the people are genuinely polite and friendly like no other place I've been....and there is no comp in the entire state for their football team and Lincoln is not all cornfields as it seems most believe.

Stanford, they've been down some lately but they have a very strong football tradition and I don't see why they can't make it back.

Notre Dame, pretty much the same as Stanford.

If I was a recruit and had 5 visits. These would be them

Hawaii

USC

UNC

Texas

Florida

If it was my kid...

Wayland Baptist

Texas Christian

Rice

:-P

In all seriousness, you can go pro from just about anywhere. If you have talent now, you will get noticed. Nebraska has a suprisingly high amount of pro's in the game, even young ones.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
If I was a recruit and had 5 visits. These would be them

Hawaii

USC

UNC

Texas

Florida

If it was my kid...

Wayland Baptist

Texas Christian

Rice

:-P

In all seriousness, you can go pro from just about anywhere. If you have talent now, you will get noticed. Nebraska has a suprisingly high amount of pro's in the game, even young ones.

I def. would like to take a trip to Hawaii, but that would send a bad message to my son (not seriously considering them, but using their $$$ to visit) so that's why they got eliminated.....but if they ever make a BCS bowl...I'M THERE!! :P

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
I wouldnt pick any of those top three.  Because if you have a blue chip recruit, in your mind somewhere you would want them to have a chance to go pro.  Those three schools arent exactly turning out the pros these days.  Michigan is just as tough academically as Neb and Notre Dame, and have a better football program as well, just wondering why you had them as an also ran.  UCLA and USC are very comparable academically as well, how come USC is not on the list, but the football weakling UCLA is?

Michigan better football program than Nebraska? I guess thats why Nebraska had a higher recruiting class than Michigan :rolly Maybe, that was correct on offense for a while but, Nebraska going to the passing atack will only help recruit players who plan on going pro. I think Bill Callahan knows a thing or 2 , on how to reach the NFL. Michigan is not a better program than Notre Dame either. The only reason Michigan has done better than Notre Dame record wise is because of Notre Dame's strict academic requirements. David Terrell would not have made the University of Notre Dame even if he wanted to. Michigan has a bigger selection out of the talent pool than Notre Dame for that very reason. Notre Dame and Nebraska will return to glory. (going 10-2 and having the most 1st round draft picks is not the glory Im talking about) The glory I'm talking about would be hard for you to comprehend.

PS: Glad to see all the Nebraska fans here,I counted more than a few of you guys. :headbang

I dont really have a number 1 team

I guess if i did... it would be Flordia, ever since i watched Rex Grossman light things up as a sophomore, I always rooted for them. Spurrier was a fun coach to watch.....

I always root for Illinois, Northwestern - unless they play eachother... then i root for Illinois.

I've just never gotten close enough to any NCAA football team to really really adopt them as my own. And I watch a s***load of college football... its wierd.

QUOTE(Bias @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)

Nebraska's talent has been done due to Solich not making recruting a priority, but they still send guys to the league, Demo Williams was on MNF last night, rookie starting LB for the Falcons.  Nebraska has a ton of DB's in the league. Our own Mike Brown is a Husker.  Michigan has a better program than Nebraska? lmao, that's Chicago propaganda in my honest opinion.....I'll give you the last few years, but overall? Not even close.

I remember Osbornes last year of recruiting. One of my teammates on my HS football team was recruited by him (Randy Stella) Part of his last recruiting class. Osborne always had decent recruiting classes. Some times they were limited to recruiting because of the option. But, as far as defense goes Nebraska produces with the best of them. Solich sucked at recruiting. Mostly going for in state talent. He won with osbornes players. As soon as they were gone, the losing began. That's why Solich was fired after a 9-3 season.

U have to understand things go in spurts, just 4-5 years ago USC wasn't sh**.  BTW for a school to be listed in a top 5 out of over 100 how is that an "also ran?"  I recognize Michigan's strong academics and football tradition, it just wouldn't be one of my top 3 choices for my son. 

Correct, USC was in the dumps for a period of time. The program sucked before Pete Carrol became coach.

Nebraska, 'cuz it's been my personal fav since 1982...I've been there and the people are genuinely polite and friendly like no other place I've been....and there is no comp in the entire state for their football team and Lincoln is not all cornfields as it seems most believe.

Nebraska fans = best fans of any sport. They follow their team no matter where they go. Ever see a bowl game with Nebraska? All red. The ND-Neb game at south bend? All red. Amazing fans. The best part about them is, they truly are kind people.

Stanford, they've been down some lately but they have a very strong football tradition and I don't see why they can't make it back.

Stanford has a very interesting history. Bill Walsh. Enough Said.

Edited by rangercal

Since when was Nebraska on par academically with ND, Michigan, UCLA, or Stanford. C'mon. If you want academics AND good football, you go to ND, Big Ten...well, some of the Big Ten, maybe Texas, Stanford, Berkeley, that's about it that I can think of. But Nebraska?

I mean, you know what the "N" stands for on their helmets, don't you?

K"N"owledge.