Official Game Thread, Sox vs. Royals, 9/15/05

Balta1701

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
Going through the thread and talking about field conditions, does anyone know why Roger Bossard soaks the infield before the games at USCF? I would think with the White Sox wanting to run they would keep it a little drier.

It's more of a light dampening than a soaking. Just so dust doesn't fly up.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
Going through the thread and talking about field conditions, does anyone know why Roger Bossard soaks the infield before the games at USCF? I would think with the White Sox wanting to run they would keep it a little drier.

How dare you cast doubt upon the work of Roger Bossard!

Seriously, if there's anyone employed by this team who knows what he's doing...it's Bossard.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)

The way he waters it actually packs the dirt and makes it more solid. Just my guess though, my lawn is brown and hard so what do I know. Think about watered down sand (not slop though) as oppossed to dry sand. Of course you can over water and make it sloppy as mother nature does.

Why steal with Pods in these conditions?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)

The way he waters it actually packs the dirt and makes it more solid. Just my guess though, my lawn is brown and hard so what do I know. Think about watered down sand (not slop though) as oppossed to dry sand. Of course you can over water and make it sloppy as mother nature does.

Why steal with Pods in these conditions?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
It's more of a light dampening than a soaking.  Just so dust doesn't fly up.

Go out to LF in about the seventh inning sometime. You can still see the water on it. Its pretty soaked to begin with. I thought it was ironic that Oakland puts no water on their infield before the games there, and they never are running.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
Go out to LF in about the seventh inning sometime. You can still see the water on it. Its pretty soaked to begin with. I thought it was ironic that Oakland puts no water on their infield before the games there, and they never are running.

I don't know, they re-rake it in the 5th or 6th and it filters easily. The water content is low enough to where I think it won't effect our speed on the basepaths.