Number crunching

CWSOX45

Sure last night sucked, but I thought I'd share this with everyone. As of right now here are the current AL Central Standings

White Sox (13) 88 56 .611 -

Cleveland 84 62 .575 5.0

The Indians are currently 5.0 games back of the White Sox, and have 16 games left against the Royals, Devil Rays, and us.

Meanwhile we have 18 games left against the Royals, Detroit, Minnesota and Cleveland.

Let's just say that the White Sox go 9-9 in those 18 games, which I can see happening. There record would then stand at 97-65.

With 16 games remaining, in order to catch the White Sox the Indiands have to go 13-3.

That makes me feel a little bit better, even though Cleveland has the weakest teams in the league to beat up on, I still think the White Sox can go 9-9.

It basically comes down to our six games, if we win 4 of 6 the division is ours.

CWSOX45

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
Sure last night sucked, but I thought I'd share this with everyone. As of right now here are the current AL Central Standings

Cleveland        84 62 .575 5.0

The Indians are currently 5.0 games back of the White Sox, and have 16 games left against the Royals, Devil Rays, and us.

Meanwhile we have 18 games left against the Royals, Detroit, Minnesota and Cleveland.

Let's just say that the White Sox go 9-9 in those 18 games, which I can see happening. There record would then stand at 97-65.

With 16 games remaining, in order to catch the White Sox the Indiands have to go 13-3.

That makes me feel a little bit better, even though Cleveland has the weakest teams in the league to beat up on, I still think the White Sox can go 9-9.

It basically comes down to our six games, if we win 4 of 6 the division is ours.

CWSOX45

I don't even think we have to do that much. If we take 2 of 3 against them the first series, that would leave them 6 out with about two weeks to go. That would mean to even make it possible to win the division, they'd have to gain at least three games before the last series, and even then they'd have to sweep us.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
I don't even think we have to do that much. If we take 2 of 3 against them the first series, that would leave them 6 out with about two weeks to go. That would mean to even make it possible to win the division, they'd have to gain at least three games before the last series, and even then they'd have to sweep us.

All this, however, is predicated on us not letting the Indians gain any more ground before we play them. In other words, we actually have to win today and play well against Minnesota this weekend, otherwise, it could be a lot closer than this before we even meet the Indians.

QUOTE(alexgtp @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
WOW the Central is looking to be an awesome race!! And so does the wildcard.

If by some crazy reason we dont win the division. Wont we still win the wildcard? What are the numbers for that?

The Yankees are one game behind Minny. So if Minny passes us, the Yankess would be right on our tails. Probably.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)

Cleveland        84 62 .575 5.0

CWSOX45

Cleveland is 9-1 in their last ten White Sox are 5-5. That 9-9 and 13-3 scenario as of right now has a really good chance of happening. Sox need to rail off some series wins against these Royals, Twins, and Indians.

The Royals, and Devil Rays have to play their part and become spoilers to the Indians.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
All this, however, is predicated on us not letting the Indians gain any more ground before we play them.  In other words, we actually have to win today and play well against Minnesota this weekend, otherwise, it could be a lot closer than this before we even meet the Indians.

Okay, let's even assume that we lose a game in the standings before then, meaning we'd be up 4 or 4 1/2. We'd still be at 5 or 5 1/2 meaning roughly the same situation would exist. They have to get the lead down to 2 at worst to have a shot at winning the division, and they really need to get it down to 1 before the series, otherwise they have to sweep us.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
Okay, let's even assume that we lose a game in the standings before then, meaning we'd be up 4 or 4 1/2. We'd still be at 5 or 5 1/2 meaning roughly the same situation would exist. They have to get the lead down to 2 at worst to have a shot at winning the division, and they really need to get it down to 1 before the series, otherwise they have to sweep us.

Why are you assuming we will only lose 1 game in the standings...the Indians start a 3 game set with K.C. tomorrow, they'll probably win at least 2, while we get the Twinkies. If we don't step up, we could lose 1 1/2 games in the standings or even more before then. If we go on another losing skid, they could potentially make up 3.5 games by the end of the weekend.

That's why today's game is so big.

Well guys, excuse me for not getting worried yet. They've still got a 5 game lead, and everything left is against beatable teams (except maybe when Santana pitches). Detroit has been brutal of late and the Twins have been about .500 for a while. All we gotta do is not get smoked by Cleveland and we should be all right. I'm confident that we can go at least .500 the rest of the way, which would make it very tough for Cleveland.

How about this scenario:

The Indians handle the Royals the way good teams are supposed to and sweep them.

The Twins handle us the way they usually have in the second half and sweep us.

Monday night's game is the biggest of year with the Sox leading the division by 1 1/2 games. Just saying.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
How about this scenario:

The Indians handle the Royals the way good teams are supposed to and sweep them. 

Monday night's game is the biggest of year with the Sox leading the division by 1 1/2 games.  Just saying.

:finger to that scenario......Just saying.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
How about this scenario:

Monday night's game is the biggest of year with the Sox leading the division by 1 1/2 games.  Just saying.

We're gonna lose to the Royals today too? Cause that's how you added it up. You guys are really assuming the worst. We've generally done okay against lesser competition outside of that one brutal stretch early in August. We're not doing that poorly right now outside of the series against the Angels. Plus we're scoring some runs fairly consistently in these games, something everyone seems to panick about. Granted our starting pitching needs to get a little more consistent, but with no more Texas or Anaheim on the schedule, that should happen.

As this season unfolded we acquired delusions of grandeur. Visions of this team playing in the World Series became a part of our nightly dreams.

More important than the MN, RIOT numbers, schedules or anything else this season is the 6 remaining games we have against the Tribe. Anything less than a spilt creates a major momentum shift in their camp & a major let down in ours. If we win 4/6 then we will enter the playoffs flying high. The spirit force of White Sox fans will be living large & the city will be on fire for the PaleHose.

I hope the players realize this. I hope Konerko realizes this. This is a defining moment for the organization & it's fans. A chance to break from a mid-revenue team to a high-revenue one. A chance to take the city back from the Cubs.

If Konerko wants to be a part of that future then he needs to play his best ever here & now.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
How about this scenario:

If I were Cleveland and coming into Monday's game knowing that I could walk out of Chicago with the division lead? Man, talk about being psyched

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
I don't give a rats ass about the Indians.  The Sox need to take care of business.  They are in a position where if they handle their business, they don't have to worry about anyone else in the AL. 

Now get err done Chicago :cheers

I'm with you Jason. If we're counting on some help from KC and TB we're not gonna get it. The Sox gotta start taking the bull by the horns and win this division. Win some damn games and things will take care of themselves.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside