Reasons to feel okay

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
No one wants the shame and humiliation of "blowing" a 15 game lead. But at some point people are going to have to step back and accept the fact that Cleveland has played great baseball the last month and a half. I just hope the Sox stay aggressive tomorrow.

You definitley have to consider the Tribe just eating everyone alive lately but the fact that its down to under 5 is sad. I don't care what people say about our lead as long as we make it and I am hoping the sox want more than just to make it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
NOoo, 2 is not enough, remember we still have 4 with Minn who will throw out Santana which means at least 1 loss that series. The goal should be 4 and 3 is pushing it.

hey, 3 or 4 would be awesome, but i'm just being realistic, I think 2 would be OK

No one wants the shame and humiliation of "blowing" a 15 game lead. But at some point people are going to have to step back and accept the fact that Cleveland has played great baseball the last month and a half. I just hope the Sox stay aggressive tomorrow.

Cleveland has really impressed me, much as it pains me to say it. They clearly want this division a lot more than we do.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
You definitley have to consider the Tribe just eating everyone alive lately but the fact that its down to under 5 is sad. I don't care what people say about our lead as long as we make it and I am hoping the sox want more than just to make it.

Agreed. :cheers

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 05:29 AM)
Cleveland has really impressed me, much as it pains me to say it.  They clearly want this division a lot more than we do.

It's so impressive to see them playing loose and confident. I guarantee you would never have their manager saying "WE STINK"!

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
Cleveland has really impressed me, much as it pains me to say it.  They clearly want this division a lot more than we do.

The differences in the offenses are easy to see.

The indians hitters are aggressive, they get hitters counts, and then hit nice crisp line drives. This is why their hitters have good averages.

We hit some line drives also, but our hitters fouled off a ton of good pitches to hit, they popped up over and over. Its hard to popup a sinkerball pitcher, but we found ways.

We need to find hitters who hit down on the ball. Have line drive swings. This popup baseball s*** has got to end. We had some line drives in key situations tonight, but we also had plenty of games with men on in scoring position only to watch the popups fly in the air.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
We will face liriano, baker, santana and lohse in the series.

We got 2 hit by baker, santana owns us like a dirty b****, and we barely hit lohse.  That leaves Liriano who hits 97, is a lefty, has a good changeup, and is someone we have never seen.

Pray we hold on for the wild card.

They found a way to win 2/3 in the dome by scoring only 4 runs in three games. They have to do it. They don't have a choice.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
They found a way to win 2/3 in the dome by scoring only 4 runs in three games. They have to do it. They don't have a choice.

Me and you are on the same page there too, the sox know they have to play and if they start swinging the bats good enough to win some games or even challenge those of the Tribe right now, that will be a big confidence booster. I expect at least 2 vs minn but for some reason I have a feeling they will find a way to win 3.

Immediately after the Sox loss I helped my 11 yr old daughter with her math homework. Whew!!! Getting her to understand that took a lot out me. I'm spent. I have nothing left. I can't even get worked up about this loss. Yeah, it sucked. Tommorow is another game.....and more f***ing homework too.

:wacko:

Edited by BigEdWalsh

I don't think anyone's undervaluing what the Indians have been doing. Since late April, they've been the best team in the American League.

I think the frustration comes from dropping important games to teams like the Royals, getting beaten regularly ( LATELY ) by any decent ballclub, and just not looking like the team we became accustomed to seeing on a daily basis. You know, the pitching/defense/timely hitting "smart ball" team.

It's odd when a 90-win team is being labelled as a choker, but in the full context of how the season has played out, it's not completely undeserved.

That said, it's 100% in the hands of the team how the season ends for them. Their fate is their own, win or lose ( or die trying ).

NOW GET OUT THERE AND f***ING WIN!!!!!!!

I'm going to have to quote my fellow Boston friends and say "Aaron f***ING Boone" This guy always seems to come up with that big hit. Well they may have one the battle. But they will NOT win the war. I'm going to tonites game- and to all of you Buerhle fans- this will truly be the biggest game of his carreer!!!!! Time to end our 5 game home losing streak. Time to end Clevelands 6 game winning streak. Time to end all of this choking talk. Time for the offense to keep it going. Time to get back some respect.

Come on guys- give us reason to believe. Win these next 2. You can do it!

Yes Cleveland has played great but the Sox are 16-20 in their last 36 games. Make that 20-16, which isn't all that hot and we are getting ready to pop the champagne corks. This is a major meltdown, make no mistake about it. The "experts" are getting ready to add the 05 White Sox to a very select list of teams that blew big leads. Winning the next 2 games is mandatory. Edited by Yossarian

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 07:03 AM)
I still question why Cotts is never used for more than 2 batters.  He could have come out for another inning and faced Haffner instead of Marte.

Ozzie doesn't want to use Cotts against RH batters despite the fact that when he let him face righties they are 13-102 with 1 homerun. That's a .127 average. So because of his reluctance to have him face his second right handed hitter in a row, he got a righty out who was a switch hitter, he has Vizcaino come in for 1 batter and then throws "Everyday" Marte to the wolves with very predicable results. He is a horrible manager. One of the worst in-game managers of all-time. Terry Bevington was no worse. Ozzie was probably pretty good outside the game. He appeared to have the player's respect for the most part, but a collapse like this if it does become complete, would be very hard for him to overcome. I am not a big fan of KW, and think if the Sox do choke this away he should be put to pasture as well, but if Ozzie doesn't get canned no one else deserves to. They need to get a bench coach will experience who could teach Ozzie how to run a pitching staff, and explain to him players who don't know how to bunt shouldn't be asked to bunt. I hope they can turn this around, but if they don't my dream scenerio would have JR totally cleaning house. This team needs a new thought process IMO.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 07:38 AM)
Ozzie doesn't want to use Cotts against RH batters despite the fact that when he let him face righties they are 13-102 with 1 homerun. That's a .127 average. So because of his reluctance to have him face his second right handed hitter in a row, he got a righty out who was a switch hitter, he has Vizcaino come in for 1 batter and then throws "Everyday" Marte to the wolves with very predicable results. He is a horrible manager. One of the worst in-game managers of all-time. Terry Bevington was no worse. Ozzie was probably pretty good outside the game. He appeared to have the player's respect for the most part, but a collapse like this if it does become complete, would be very hard for him to overcome. I am not a big fan of KW, and think if the Sox do choke this away he should be put to pasture as well, but if Ozzie doesn't get canned no one else deserves to. They need to get a bench coach will experience who could teach Ozzie how to run a pitching staff, and explain to him players who don't know how to bunt shouldn't be asked to bunt. I hope they can turn this around, but if they don't my dream scenerio would have JR totally cleaning house. This team needs a new thought process IMO.

I agree. Ozzie is probably the worst game day manager the Sox have had in my lifetime. I seriously doubt JR does any major overhaul. If the Sox complete this collapse it's going to damage them for a long time.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Voting?  What in the hell are you talking about?  Ozzie was chosen by the hand of God Himself to win that award.  There is no way he could lose.

Remember when I got into an argument comparing Ozzie to Frank Robinson about two months ago? Some poster on this site was saying in early August that Ozzie should never be criticized because he would be the MotY. My response to that was: Yeah, and after June, Frank Robinson would have won NL MotY. It's a 162 game season....and all it takes is a 4 game winning streak by the Sox to reverse this awful karma. We've done it numerous times before this season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
Remember when I got into an argument comparing Ozzie to Frank Robinson about two months ago?  Some poster on this site was saying in early August that Ozzie should never be criticized because he would be the MotY.  My response to that was:  Yeah, and after June, Frank Robinson would have won NL MotY.  It's a 162 game season....and all it takes is a 4 game winning streak by the Sox to reverse this awful karma.  We've done it numerous times before this season.

You've been preaching Ozzie's ineptitude this entire season, and I assume even longer. You're just a terrible fan, you fraud. Why don't you go root for the Cubs? Go buy a blue hat and be happy to be teased, kicked in the balls repeatedly, and come back "next year" with your rose-colored glasses on (or whatever that expression is).

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
I feel okay because it's still baseball. And I love baseball, even when they suck. But I think they'll make the playoffs. And if they don't, well, that sucks. But irregardless of the outcome, you know I'm going to be cheering for them again next year. So, I mean, might as well not let it ruin my life--and see it for what it is: a game I love.

Jason: have you been drinking?

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
If they lose, they lose, its a f***ing game...  you want real life, go talk to the folks of New Orleans that have no possessions anymore.  Go talk to the almost 3000 families that lost a relative or friend from 9/11.  Then realize how STUPID it is to live and die by the White Sox and the game of baseball!!!  Baseball is entertainment, if its not entertaining you, turn it off and go do something productive

Very good posts.

ITS A GAME PEOPLE!!! Quit letting it affect your lives. If you don't kick your dog after a Sox loss, it doesn't make you less of a fan, it means you have perspective on life. Be mad that people are dying in Africa from diseases that we eradicated 50 years ago, be mad that people may never get their lives back after Katrina, don't be mad at a game. Get out of the house and do some good in the world. If you are blessed enough to sit for 3 1/2 hours watching a game, and still have that much negative energy, you need to rechannel it, and do something positive for people who do not have the luxury of being able to waste that much time on something that isn't survival oriented.

Its called perspective folks.