School Expels Girl for Having Gay Parents

KipWellsFan

According to the report, the teen's mother has been in the lesbian relationship for 22 years, but that the school only learned of the relationship this week when the student was reprimanded for talking to the crowd during a football game

Wow.. I totally missed that. So the girl was enrolled in the school.. but kicked out. How nice.. :headshake

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
I don't want to get into the whole McDonald's case here, so I hope no one else will reply to this, but in my opinion, using that as a metaphor for a judicial system out of control simply shows a complete misunderstanding of the facts of that case.

Thanks that was a good read...

QUOTE(IlliniBob72 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Sounds like they kept it too hot and they knew it was too hot. Coffee shouldn't be lava hot.

Yes. Shame on those McDonalds bastards... But I don't agree with rewarding her for being an idiot.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)

According to the report, the teen's mother has been in the lesbian relationship for 22 years, but that the school only learned of the relationship this week when the student was reprimanded for talking to the crowd during a football game

Wow.. I totally missed that. So the girl was enrolled in the school.. but kicked out. How nice..  :headshake

A Christian school expelled a 14-year-old student

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
Yes. Shame on those McDonalds bastards... But I don't agree with rewarding her for being an idiot.

Like anything you get at McDonalds is good for your health :rolly

By my account she won money for being dumb three times:

1. Eating at McDonalds

2. Placing coffee between her legs and spilling it all over herself.

3. Wearing Sweatpants

Hmm...you would figure if I can keep up at my current rate of stupidity I should be a millionaire in no time.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Like anything you get at McDonalds is good for your health  :rolly

By my account she won money for being dumb three times:

1. Eating at McDonalds

2. Placing coffee between her legs and spilling it all over herself.

3. Wearing Sweatpants

Hmm...you would figure if I can keep up at my current rate of stupidity I should be a millionaire in no time.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
I dont really understand the situation in which the girl was reprimanded for talking to the crowd during a football game.  And further more, I dont understand how this exposed her parents as being lesbians.  Can anyone clue me in here?

Speculation Station:

I'm not sure why she was reprimanded for talking to the crowd. Unless she was possibly a cheerleader and was out of line or something...But they were probably clued into the parents when they went in to talk to the dean or principal after their daughter was scolded.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
Speculation Station:

I'm not sure why she was reprimanded for talking to the crowd. Unless she was possibly a cheerleader and was out of line or something...But they were probably clued into the parents when they went in to talk to the dean or principal after their daughter was scolded.

Can you imagine the look on the deans face when he realized that her parents were Lesbians? You could probably cut the tension in that room with a knife

My $.02:

I never understand why any gay people want anything to do with christianity. If a group says your lifestyle is immoral, that you're going to hell, etc-- then why the hell would you want anything to do with them?

I completely agree that the school has the right to expel the girl. Not happy about it, but it is a private christian school, and christians don't agree with homosexuality. Therefore, they can prevent her from attending IMHO. I honestly think the parents were naive and dumb for sending their kid there, and the kid is who will ultimately suffer the most for it.

There is an open discussion session tonight at my student center, the topic is:

"Are gays sinners?"

I almost want to go just to watch the awesome arguments this discussion session will produce. I love it when people get into fights with radical conservatives.

And yes...Rutgers is a public state university, why they chose the word "sinner" for the discussion session is beyond me....

Word on the street is that the next one is "Is it just me, or are lesbians not that hot in real life?"

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Sorry Mike.. but a CC Membership or entrance to the Boy Scouts, IMO, doesn't even come close to being a justifiable comparison.

The Boy Scouts of America enjoy special rights and privileges including a Congressional Charter bestowed upon it by the Federal Government.

A Christian school does not. A Christian School can kick out whoever they want, for whatever reason they want. But they ought to be ridiculed for being ridiculous.

"Hate the sinner. Make the sin."

Nice.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
My $.02:

I never understand why any gay people want anything to do with christianity.  If a group says your lifestyle is immoral, that you're going to hell, etc-- then why the hell would you want anything to do with them?

I completely agree that the school has the right to expel the girl.  Not happy about it, but it is a private christian school, and christians don't agree with homosexuality.  Therefore, they can prevent her from attending IMHO.  I honestly think the parents were naive and dumb for sending their kid there, and the kid is who will ultimately suffer the most for it.

I never understand why anyone in the U.S. Army wants anything to do with Christianity. The Bible says "Thou shall not Kill", not "Thou shall not kill unless your leaders tell you do do so" or "Thou shall not kill unless your own life is in jeopardy." The Bible doesn't make exceptions, so everyone in the army is a sinner condemned to Hell, and should never ever go to church.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
My $.02:

I never understand why any gay people want anything to do with christianity.  If a group says your lifestyle is immoral, that you're going to hell, etc-- then why the hell would you want anything to do with them?

I completely agree that the school has the right to expel the girl.  Not happy about it, but it is a private christian school, and christians don't agree with homosexuality.  Therefore, they can prevent her from attending IMHO.  I honestly think the parents were naive and dumb for sending their kid there, and the kid is who will ultimately suffer the most for it.

You can vote with your feet or you can fight for change, and say, I will not allow you to hijack my religion. I mean, your argument could be made for women, people with disabilities (based on old testament), and pretty much everyone. The problem isn't Christianity, the problem is that it is being used as a tool to push an agenda and not as a guidebook on how to honor and love fellow creatures of God.

EDIT: Or you can just join the Epsicopal Church. . .

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
My $.02:

You usually grow up the religion you are before you realize your sexuality. Many people see past their sexuality and don't think it to be a "defining" characteristic of themselves or their intrinsic value in the eyes of the Lord.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
You can vote with your feet or you can fight for change, and say, I will not allow you to hijack my religion. I mean, your argument could be made for women, people with disabilities (based on old testament), and pretty much everyone. The problem isn't Christianity, the problem is that it is being used as a tool to push an agenda and not as a guidebook on how to honor and love fellow creatures of God.

EDIT: Or you can just join the Epsicopal Church. . .

I see your point, but homosexuality has been denounced by the majority of christian churches since their inception. I don't see how a religion could be "hijacked" if the belief existed that homosexuality is wrong for as long as the religion existed. It's almost like saying adulterers shouldn't put up with the church saying they are sinners-- they should fight it and change that. If it gets changed, is it even christianity anymore. Am I making sense, I dont like the way this reads, but am really tired right now lol

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
I see your point, but homosexuality has been denounced by the majority of christian churches since their inception.  I don't see how a religion could be "hijacked" if the belief existed that homosexuality is wrong for as long as the religion existed.  It's almost like saying adulterers shouldn't put up with the church saying they are sinners-- they should fight it and change that.  If it gets changed, is it even christianity anymore.  Am I making sense, I dont like the way this reads, but am really tired right now lol

Like I've said before, most modern and scholarly translations of the bible do not use the phrase homosexual currently. Instead they recognize that the NT sexual acts involving two men (no statements against lesbians in the bible, fyi) are now translated with the proper undertones or ritual sex to pagan gods or the Platonic ideal of "friendship" (read: pedarasty, or however the heck it's spelled). Similarly, the previous writing on "homosexuality" (in the OT) were based on what was fundamentally bad (very bad) biology. I.e. that male ejaculate alone created life, so wasting it (i.e. not trying to, um, inseminate a woman) was tantamount to abortion. Thus, masturbation was also not allowed. So, if you want to take the bible for what the translators and, ahem, those who don't know biblical history say, then that's one thing. But also, the concept of homosexuality is new-ish, and, consequently, so is its battle within the church. So, I disagree, the fundamental Christian Gospel can be stripped down to two things: Love thy neighbor as thyself and love God, at least that's what Big J said. So, I would say you took take the homophobia out of the church and still have Christianity (even closer to the *real* Christianity envisioned by Christ, imho).

Hypothetical situation:

You are a devout Christian and you believe homosexuality goes against God's law. You also want to raise your children as Christians and do not want them exposed to "un-Christian" lifestyles. Therefore, you pay a substantial tuition to send those children to a Christian school. You are also within your rights to do so. If, the administrators of this particular school knew about the lesbian relationship of this students parent and did nothing, then they running the risk of offending and losing their entire clientelle.

This particular student is not going to be denied an education. There is always public school. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. However, these are some of the things that have to be taken into consideration. There are two perspectives from which to look at this.

Like I've said before, most modern and scholarly translations of the bible do not use the phrase homosexual currently. Instead they recognize that the NT sexual acts involving two men (no statements against lesbians in the bible, fyi) are now translated with the proper undertones or ritual sex to pagan gods or the Platonic ideal of "friendship" (read: pedarasty, or however the heck it's spelled). Similarly, the previous writing on "homosexuality" (in the OT) were based on what was fundamentally bad (very bad) biology. I.e. that male ejaculate alone created life, so wasting it (i.e. not trying to, um, inseminate a woman) was tantamount to abortion. Thus, masturbation was also not allowed. So, if you want to take the bible for what the translators and, ahem, those who don't know biblical history say, then that's one thing. But also, the concept of homosexuality is new-ish, and, consequently, so is its battle within the church. So, I disagree, the fundamental Christian Gospel can be stripped down to two things: Love thy neighbor as thyself and love God, at least that's what Big J said. So, I would say you took take the homophobia out of the church and still have Christianity (even closer to the *real* Christianity envisioned by Christ, imho).

[/quote = ]

You've hit this very well. The idea that homosexuality is wrong came about because ONE priest somewhere decided that it was around the 4th century...I think. Before then, it was actually a common practice that was ignored.

This has less to do with Church idealism and more to do with what YSNY said, schools have a lot of problems to worry about and this is one for Christian schools. They don't want to deal with it, and they have the right to shove it aside.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Hypothetical situation:

You are a devout Christian and you believe homosexuality goes against God's law.  You also want to raise your children as Christians and do not want them exposed to "un-Christian" lifestyles.  Therefore, you pay a substantial tuition to send those children to a Christian school.  You are also within your rights to do so.  If, the administrators of this particular school knew about the lesbian relationship of this students parent and did nothing, then they running the risk of offending and losing their entire clientelle. 

This particular student is not going to be denied an education.  There is always public school.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong.  However, these are some of the things that have to be taken into consideration.  There are two perspectives from which to look at this.

This is the most informed reply in this entire thread.

The same laws that allow Boy Scouts to deny membership to an avowed homosexual also allows the Daughters of the American Revolution to limit membership to daughters of the American Revolution, allows the Knights of Columbus to limit membership to catholic men, allows Girl Scouts to deny me equal standing with my wife as an adult volunteer. allows the Salvation Army to only allow Christians, and allows the Aryan Nation to exclude everyone. There is good and bad. Imagine if every private group had to be open to every person. The GOP would be open to Democrats. You couldn't have any special interest groups.