Konerko talks about Contract Situation

DBAHO

Interesting Statement here;

"I've been asked quite a few times this year what my gut feeling is, and the answer I've given is I have no reason to believe I won't be in a White Sox uniform next year, and I have no reason to believe I will be in a White Sox uniform next year," Konerko said. "That doesn't help, I know, but it has become that cloudy. I will say this, though: As soon as the year ends and you enter that offseason not tied down, the door has been opened for you to go elsewhere."

The Red Sox and Angels look to be the 2 teams most interested in him.

Well, Paul gives me no reason to want him back next year, and no reason to NOT want him back next year.

:D

He's a puzzle, that Konerko. He can look SO good when he's crushing balls outta the park, and he can look absolutely clueless popping up and doing his Suicide Shrug.

I like PK, and I think the Sox need to have some power in the lineup. I'm just not sure if he'd be worth what some other team may offer him.

It will be interesting to watch his situation in the offseason.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we dont resign him, we will regret it.

There is no talent available at first base this offseason, and with the power Konerko provides in our lineup, a lineup without him and with someone such as Overbay or Gload will ruin any chances of a successful season next year.

I think for 2 years you wouldn't mind having him at $10+ million a year. I think the 3rd and 4th or beyond year of his contract is when you are going to wish he'd get really hot for a couple weeks and Steinnbrenner gets pissed enough at his team to trade for him. Can you imagine how slow this guy is going to be 4 years from now? There may not be much in free agency, but with his contract off the books, they Sox may be in position to pick up a significant contract via trade.

If the Sox don't re-sign Pauly in the offseason- than i expect KW to pull some sort of trade to get someone with some power. I'm hearing a lot of Overbay lately. One other option- is to have Dye play 1B and move Brian Anderson to RF. I know that doesn't solve our lack of power problem- BUT i think Anderson can make a nice impact in his first full season.

I also don't expect Crede back next season. KW will probably search for a solid defensive 3B w/ some power via trade. How about Blalock? Texas NEEDS pitching of all flavors (starters, relievers, lefties, righties exe..)

How about Marte, Vizciano, El-duque, Baj, and Fields for him?

We will also need a DH, i think they will make some sort of incentive offer to Frank- so he'll return, but with limited at bats. In the meantime who out there can fill that DH hole? Hmmm how about Ken Griffey Jr?!? KW seems obsest with him. And his latest injury just lowered his trade value after a solid season. What would the Reds want for him? Probably Anderson, Sweeney, and ALOT of pitching. I say go for it- as long as KW doesn't trade the MAIN-5 (Buerhle, Garland, BMac, Garcia and Contreras)

So many questions this offseason- and A LOT of it has to do with what Pauly decides to do this offseason. I for one- would like him to stay- but as you guys said the free-agent market is mighty thin this year- so i'm not expecting him to be around next year at all.

QUOTE(UC76 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Whi is Konerko talking about his contract NOW?

Some reporter probably asked him about it after the game last nite. And to shut everyone up about his contract- he just said pretty much 'anything can happen'

in the offseason.

The good news is: Pauly said he won't pull a Magglio- if the Sox make a fair offer- his first choice is to stay with the White Sox. But he did say that in April so who knows?

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
If the Sox don't re-sign Pauly in the offseason- than i expect KW to pull some sort of trade to get someone with some power. I'm hearing a lot of Overbay lately. One other option- is to have Dye play 1B and move Brian Anderson to RF. I know that doesn't solve our lack of power problem- BUT i think Anderson can make a nice impact in his first full season.

Overbay doesnt have power. He wouldnt fill the hole.

I also don't expect Crede back next season. KW will probably search for a solid defensive 3B w/ some power via trade.  How about Blalock? Texas NEEDS pitching of all flavors (starters, relievers, lefties, righties exe..)

So trade our entire bullpen for him? Sounds dumb to me.

how about Ken Griffey Jr?!? KW seems obsest with him. And his latest injury just lowered his trade value after a solid season. What would the Reds want for him? Probably Anderson, Sweeney, and ALOT of pitching. I say go for it- as long as KW doesn't trade the MAIN-5 (Buerhle, Garland, BMac, Garcia and Contreras)

Why would you give up two good prospects and then some pitching for a 35 year old injury prone player who is expensive as f*** with s*** knees? Griffey sucks, and if the Sox trade for him, I will be pissed off for a hell of a long time. Again, sounds dumb to me.

I agree this is not the time to be thinking about this issue. If Frank has a likely chance of DHing, I sadly take the draft picks for Konerko. Obviously, Frank would have to take a incentive ladden contract. The two together are to slow for this style of play. Konerko has not shown the kind of presence that lifts other players and scares pitchers. Even if you are not a Frank fan when he returned you could sense the difference. When he went out no one picked up that presence. I just don't know if we will pay the market rate for Konerko. I can't/won't ever bash him for taking what he can get nor can I fault management for saying thanks but no thanks.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
I also don't expect Crede back next season. KW will probably search for a solid defensive 3B w/ some power via trade.  How about Blalock? Texas NEEDS pitching of all flavors (starters, relievers, lefties, righties exe..)

That trade might work in a video game. You better believe that teams will want Contreras in a trade.

If kong is gong, we will be digging a little hole that we will have to fill. Since we will get nothing of immediate value, we will have to trade something of value to come close to an All-Star first baseman. And the cycle of suck continues. The Yankees, Red Sox, etc can just build without tearing down. The rest of the world tears down when a guy is about to cash in. I am very weary of the we can't afford an All-Star situation.

If I'm Konerko and I get even the same money that the Sox would offer elsewhere, I'd walk. It has been a very frustrating past 5 years for the Sox, year after year having a shot at making it and falling short. I don't see the '06 Sox as a playoff team. Even if we make the playoffs this year and do well, I'd understand if he walked.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)
Overbay doesnt have power.  He wouldnt fill the hole.

So trade our entire bullpen for him?  Sounds dumb to me.

Why would you give up two good prospects and then some pitching for a 35 year old injury prone player who is expensive as f*** with s*** knees?  Griffey sucks, and if the Sox trade for him, I will be pissed off for a hell of a long time.  Again, sounds dumb to me.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

128 491 85 148 30 0 35 92 54 93 0 1 .301 .369 .576 .946

Yeah, these numbers really suck.

Whether anyone like Konerko or not, he is one hell of a first baseman. Tell me another first baseman who is better than Paul in next year market. Losing Konerko will hurt us a lot. Bring him back! However, if we somehow can trade for Overbay, then I don't mind losing Konerko at all.

The Chicago White Sox will be in the playoff again next year. You know why?

Starting Pitchers:

Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Garcia and McCarthy.

That is one awesome lineup to hit against. If we add another good DH bat, we will be wonderful!

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

128 491 85 148 30 0 35 92 54 93 0 1 .301 .369 .576 .946

Yeah, these numbers really suck.

Tell me where Griffey is now.

And where he was last year. And the year before.

Then, tell me how much money he's getting paid.

Then, tell me his age.

Then, tell me the surgeries he's having in the off-season.

He.

Sucks.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Tell me where Griffey is now.

And where he was last year.  And the year before.

Then, tell me how much money he's getting paid.

Then, tell me his age.

Then, tell me the surgeries he's having in the off-season.

Answer me this: do you want Frank Thomas back? Because Thomas and his injuries are much more unreliable than Griffey Jr. is.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
Answer me this:  do you want Frank Thomas back?  Because Thomas and his injuries are much more unreliable than Griffey Jr. is.

Yea, I would rather Frank back. Then again, I'm a big Frank fan, and always have been. With the power numbers he put up in the few games he was back, I'd like to see him back.

He's also much MUCH cheaper than Griffey.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)

We will also need a DH, i think they will make some sort of incentive offer to Frank- so he'll return, but with limited at bats. In the meantime who out there can fill that DH hole? Hmmm how about Ken Griffey Jr?!? KW seems obsest with him. And his latest injury just lowered his trade value after a solid season. What would the Reds want for him? Probably Anderson, Sweeney, and ALOT of pitching. I say go for it- as long as KW doesn't trade the MAIN-5 (Buerhle, Garland, BMac, Garcia and Contreras)

So many questions this offseason- and A LOT of it has to do with what Pauly decides to do this offseason. I for one- would like him to stay- but as you guys said the free-agent market is mighty thin this year- so i'm not expecting him to be around next year at all.

i dont think crede is going anywhere. this organization is in love with crede *dont ask me why* but ever since he came back from the DL hes been playing good and thats a good enough reason for the Kenny Williams to keep him.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Yea, I would rather Frank back.  Then again, I'm a big Frank fan, and always have been.  With the power numbers he put up in the few games he was back, I'd like to see him back.

He's also much MUCH cheaper than Griffey.

i agree, im not sure if i would bring him back if i were GM but Frank will give u someone in the lineup that intimidates pitchers(which is why he gets a lot of walks) but 10 Million for someone that is in his last stage of his career. I dont know

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
Whether anyone like Konerko or not, he is one hell of a first baseman.  Tell me another first baseman who is better than Paul in next year market.  Losing Konerko will hurt us a lot.  Bring him back!  However, if we somehow can trade for Overbay, then I don't mind losing Konerko at all. 

The Chicago White Sox will be in the playoff again next year.  You know why?

Starting Pitchers:

Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Garcia and McCarthy.

That is one awesome lineup to hit against.  If we add another good DH bat, we will be wonderful!

what makes u think the sox r gonna be in the playoffs this year. but yea ur right, if we add a GOOD DH bat we would be good but not wonderful

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
I'd love for the us to keep Konerko.  I've always felt that way.  You think our offense is horrible now?  Just wait until Konerko is not in it.

Exactly.

Go Sox! CREDE and EVERETT suck

(from whitesoxgt's sig) Crede sucks whitesoxgt? You watch the recent games?

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
So trade our entire bullpen for him?  Sounds dumb to me.

The Rangers wouldn't even make that trade, it's not fair value. The 2 least reliable guys out of our pen, a 52 year old inconsitent pitcher and a 28 year old AAA reliever will not land a talent like Blalock.