Message to JR: Sign Konerko now

Commander Fisk

I've always said that you can tell PK is our best player because when the whole team is struggling, he's the only guy who actually looks like he can get a hit at the plate. With the lack of players in the FA class, I have a feeling PK will get a lot more money than we think he will.

QUOTE(Commander Fisk @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 03:36 AM)
I suppose you wouls rather have Ross Gload? Pk has been our only hitter this year and his recent slump was moving to third with Everett hitting behing him.

His #'s have been unreal when you consider he's had no protection this year.

No. Assuming we don't get to the World Series, yet another payroll increase is unlikely.

We don't need to spend the 11-12 mill on Paul Konerko.

Give me someone who can hit the 3 hole please.

An article in The Sporting News revealed that PK seems a liitle pissed about not having his new contract straightened out. If we loose him and Frank, I'll be really pissed.

[/quote

I do not think PK is coming back, i think they are going a different direction, hopefully not too cheap.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
No. Assuming we don't get to the World Series, yet another payroll increase is unlikely.

Ok who hits in the #4 spot then? That's 40HR and 100RBI's your losing of production right there. Who else on the Sox or in the FA market is going to replace that?

And I'm getting sick of this payroll bashing. The fact is, the payroll has increased for the last 5 years in a row at least. With a record # of Attendance for a while, there's no way, it ain't gonna get increased.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)

:huh:

ok, then who hits cleanup

lol

Also, we had great attendance numbers this year... I wouldn't be suprised to see a bump in the payroll. Reinsdorf knows letting Paulie walk will be yet another one of his PR blunders (that is unless Konerko is asking for an unreasonable contract).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
Ok who hits in the #4 spot then? That's 40HR and 100RBI's your losing of production right there. Who else on the Sox or in the FA market is going to replace that?

And I'm getting sick of this payroll bashing. The fact is, the payroll has increased for the last 5 years in a row at least. With a record # of Attendance for a while, there's no way, it ain't gonna get increased.

beat me to it

:P

Edited by mr_genius

If Konerko eclipses 100RBi, 40HR--which is entirely possible, it'll just about round his base figure for negotiations to 10 million.

Will Reinsdorf be willing to pay Konerko a possible 4yr/40 million dollar deal? Houston, Boston, Anaheim have already set their sights on him.

It's obvious to me if you plan on resigning Konerko you complete it immediately following the playoffs. Don't let the issue linger out among the media, upper management, and Konerko himself.

I'm interested in how people react if our organization fails to outbid other suitors for Konerko. Will we hear, "OH WELL, that's just the market. Paying Konerko 10 mil/yr is foolish with his degenerative hip condition...etc.."A putrid offense with Konerko, how could it possibly compensate for his departure?

Williams has several choices with 1st base: resign Konerko, trade for a player capable of duplicating (if all possible) his numbers, assign Gload/Dye the 1st base position and trade/sign players to balance production lost from substituted positions (DH/RH). I was about to suggest promoting a minor leaguer--than I realized they're 'not ready.' No one is ever ready when we need them. Wouldn't it be great not to worry about a certain position because an upcoming minor leaguer was ready to fill it?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
:huh:

ok,  then who hits cleanup

lol

Also, we had great attendance numbers this year... I wouldn't be suprised to see a bump in the payroll.   Reinsdorf knows letting Paulie walk will be yet another one of his PR blunders (that is unless Konerko is asking for an unreasonable contract).

I find it hard to believe that we have so many Sox fans that have turned into bean counters. Our payroll has risen and after this year I think it will go up more too.

With that said, Assuming Frank doesn't come back, which for some reason I think Ozzie would love that, we are going to be left with Dye and GULP! Everett. Konerko is defineately worth 12 million for 4 years, and If they can work out something with Frank (short-term incentive laiden contract) we can have Frank hitting 3, PK at 4, and Dye at 5. Offensive problem solved.

Edited by Commander Fisk

QUOTE(Commander Fisk @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 06:27 AM)
I find it hard to believe that we have so many Sox fans that have turned into bean counters. Our payroll has risen and after this year I think it will go up more too.

With that said, Assuming Frank doesn't come back, which for some reason I think Ozzie would love that, we are going to be left with Dye and GULP! Everett.  Konerko is defineately worth 12 million for 4 years, and If they can work out something with Frank (short-term incentive laiden contract) we can have Frank hitting 3, PK at 4, and Dye at 5. Offensive problem solved.

Frank has had two healthy seasons in the last five. No offensive problems are solved at all with your solution.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
Frank has had two healthy seasons in the last five.  No offensive problems are solved at all with your solution.

For some reason I think he's going to come back strong. Dye in the 5 spot will get PK some better pitches. If Frank can't come back then they need to find a solid #3, and I think they'll be o.k. Regardless of what happens, this lineup does not need an overhaul just a tweak or two. I wouldn't mind seein Gload at first tonight batting #3 and PKat DH.

Haven't the Angels already said that PK will be their number one target in the offseason? We're going to outbid Anaheim? No, we're not. PK will get more money than he's worth, a lot more. And that will mean that we'll have to get a 1B (or possibly 3B) through a trade. That's fine by me. I've been saying that Konerko has had his foot out the door ever since he took a completely selfish approach at the plate the first three months of the season. The guy was and still is looking for a big payday, and I don't mean the candy bar, though that wouldn't surprise me either since he's a fat piece of crap.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 06:26 AM)
Haven't the Angels already said that PK will be their number one target in the offseason?  We're going to outbid Anaheim?  No, we're not.  PK will get more money than he's worth, a lot more.  And that will mean that we'll have to get a 1B (or possibly 3B) through a trade.  That's fine by me.  I've been saying that Konerko has had his foot out the door ever since he took a completely selfish approach at the plate the first three months of the season.  The guy was and still is looking for a big payday, and I don't mean the candy bar, though that wouldn't surprise me either since he's a fat piece of crap.

I for one dont care if the Sox have to overpay for PK. He has been the Sox only good hitter in the second half of the season and the FA market is weak at the 1B position. Without PK next year, I dont care how good the pitching and defense is, this team wont be going anywhere

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 05:26 AM)
Haven't the Angels already said that PK will be their number one target in the offseason?  We're going to outbid Anaheim?  No, we're not.  PK will get more money than he's worth, a lot more.  And that will mean that we'll have to get a 1B (or possibly 3B) through a trade.  That's fine by me.  I've been saying that Konerko has had his foot out the door ever since he took a completely selfish approach at the plate the first three months of the season.  The guy was and still is looking for a big payday, and I don't mean the candy bar, though that wouldn't surprise me either since he's a fat piece of crap.

Some in the Angels have suggested that...but there's always the question of how much the Angels will be willing to spend, given that they already have the #3 payroll I believe in all of baseball. Plus, they do have some youth on the way up at 1b, and that might give them reason to not want to sign the big contract guy - something similar to what they did with Glaus.

Losing Lee, Ordonez, Konerko and maybe even Thomas all in the span of two years?

My God, we could have a weaker lineup than the Royals.

It would be damn foolish if trying to sign him wasn't their #1 priority in the offseason.