Colon Gone

Harry Chappas

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 12:15 AM)
There's no way you can win a 7 game series with Byrd/Washburn/Lackey/Santana.

Lackey 2-0, 2.57 ERA vs. CHW in 2005

Santana 1-0, 0.00 ERA vs. CHW in 2005

Byrd 1-0, 7.50 ERA vs. CHW in 2005

I guess those 4 guys do have enough to win a 7 game series.

Don't think it won't be tough against the Angels.

They run well, and AJ has a tough time throwing people out.

They pitch well, and the Sox have been known to have hitting problems.

They make it a 7-inning game with Shields and K-Rod at the back end of their bullpen.

The Sox have their hands full. There's a reason why the Angels won the season series 6-4. They are very, very good.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)

They make it a 7-inning game with Shields and K-Rod at the back end of their bullpen.

The Sox have their hands full.  There's a reason why the Angels won the season series 6-4.  They are very, very good.

Nobody is saying it's gonna be easy. But with Barolo's status up in the air, combined with the brutal travel schedule the Angels will have endured, and the fact we're a totally different team than the one they swept last month, I'd say we're in good shape.

The Angels talk out here is that he already had it looked at by Dr. Yocum and no news has been given back.

It was a shoulder related injury though, nothing to do with his back (which is tender as hell). That said it could of been his back injury that led to the arm/shoulder injury.

You know it has to be bad if Colon left though.

Also, Byrd is gonna be on the mound tomorrow. Washburn's feeling like crap and the Angels were indicating that they won't be adding another pitcher to the roster and that they aren't too concerned about whether there arms will be tired (obviously early on they will be, but if the Angels can pull out a game early in the series) they'll be able to let there arms kind of ease back for the most part.

For those that don't know, Byrd was warming up in the pen today though (don't know if they showed it during the telecast or not). He was up in the 2nd inning when Santana was struggling.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
Yeah, Contreras vs. McPherson. -- We didn't exactly get the best of that matchup.

Ya, Count was awesome that game. He was pitching like he is right now and than McPherson just hit a total bomb (Dallas was the only guy to do anything off Jose that night...he had a hit earlier in the game IIRC).

I'm kind of hoping Bart does pitch. When his back is tender like it is now he likes to feature only his fastball and basically dispatch of his breaking stuff. Either way, I really believe the two best teams in the AL are there and this is going to be a great series tired arms or not for the angels. While they might be tired after this jet lag our guys could easily come out a bit rusty after this time off.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
Ya, Count was awesome that game.  He was pitching like he is right now and than McPherson just hit a total bomb (Dallas was the only guy to do anything off Jose that night...he had a hit earlier in the game IIRC).

McPherson also took him deep in the rematch at the Cell...

In Anaheim it was an 0-2 fastball.

In Chicago it was a hanging splitter.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
No reason at all we shouldn't win game 1.  The Angels have had to go from NY to California and now to Chicago all in a span of 3 days.  Their pitching staff should be spent.

Its not going to be that easy. Don't ever count the Angels out though. They are a good team that can manufacture runs and Byrd could battle. Shields didn't pitch tonight so he's available and Krod is available as well.

Anything can happen and the Sox may be a little rusty. I hope the Sox can get rolling early cause in a close game the Angels will be really tough to beat (especially with Contreras on the mound, simply because the Angels can run all day on him).

Hopefully Jose C just flat limits the baserunners and picks up his 2nd postseason win of the season!!!!

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)

The Sox have their hands full.  There's a reason why the Angels won the season series 6-4.  They are very, very good.

Dont forget that our last series with the Angels, we were starting to slump.

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)

The Angels do run well but I think it is unfair to say AJ can't throw runners out he catches two pitchers (Garcia and Contreras) that can't hold runners and throw alot od wild pitches.

So look up the CS% when Buehrle/Garland et al are on the mound.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
Its not going to be that easy.  Don't ever count the Angels out though.  They are a good team that can manufacture runs and Byrd could battle.  Shields didn't pitch tonight so he's available and Krod is available as well. 

Anything can happen and the Sox may be a little rusty.  I hope the Sox can get rolling early cause in a close game the Angels will be really tough to beat (especially with Contreras on the mound, simply because the Angels can run all day on him).

Hopefully Jose C just flat limits the baserunners and picks up his 2nd postseason win of the season!!!!

I didn't say it was a lock. I just said there's no reason we shouldn't win game one. I'm not taking the Angels lightly one bit. I actually wanted to play the Yankees before Bartolo got hurt.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
. The Angels are headed for the World Series.

Aw jeez. I was looking forward to watching the ALCS, but now that I know the outcome, why bother?

:rolly

I imagine if the Sox were in the Angels' postion homefish would be talking about how the Sox's pitching isn't well rested enough, and will be too tired from jetlag.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
Trust me, the Angels aren't gonna be tired from jet lag.  Maybe if it were a regular season game, but no team is gonna be tired for a post-season game. 

Adrenaline is all the energy they need.

To be honest maybe when they're arriving to the park or getting ready they might be a little tired but once they touch that field they'll forget everything and be ready to go.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
BAN THE ANGELS FAN!!! :lolhitting

Haha, I'm confident in our Sox. They are more than capable and if they play there style of baseball and execute they can go the distance. At the same time I see a lot of people writing off the Angels and I think thats a mistake.

They are a battled tested team that plays a very similar style of ball to the Sox. Its gonna be one hell of a battle. I'd say our pitching staff is better than theres, but I'd probably give a nod up to their offense (even though it hasn't been all that good) just because if Vladdy gets hot he is the type of player that can carry a team (and they can execute and do the little things just as good as the Sox, imo).

Its definately a matchup between the 2 best teams in the AL and I hope the Good Guys in Black can pull it out!!!

Afterall I got my airfare purchased and am gonna bust my ass to get tix to the series when they go on sale.

I’ve got to disagree with the folks who say that the players will be unaffected by jet lag. You don’t go back and forth across time zones as frequently as these guys have in the past few days without it affecting your body to some extent. That is undisputed biologically.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
I’ve got to disagree with the folks who say that the players will be unaffected by jet lag.  You don’t go back and forth across time zones as frequently as these guys have in the past few days without it affecting your body to some extent.  That is undisputed biologically.

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug."