ALCS.........

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
For me I have a couple.

Shut down Benji Molina.  He's hitting near 500 so far in the playoffs.

Jump on their starters early.  Dont let them get into a rythm especially when we go to Anahiem

This is especially for Jose and Freddy, keep Chone off the bases. Besides that pitch around Vlad and Molina when possible, I put Bengie in there as well because that guy is a monster in clutch situations.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
Seriously, how do we match up with these guys?

Can we defeat them?

What are the odds of us winning in your estimation?

This is the most even possible matchup we could have. They compare best to us, average to below average offense that manages timely hits, very good starting pitching and a great bullpen.

I'd say the one key thing I can think of is to get out to a 2-0 lead, however you have to do it.

They will be sending up about their 4th and 5th starters in games 1 and 2 in all likelyhood against our 1-2 punch.

Those are must win games.

As for the actual series is concerned...their defense is good, but that does not mean it is not prone to mistakes. Keep the pressure on it. Hit and run, run and hits, hit-bunting, sac-bunting, squeeze-bunting. Also, while Felix is sort of right in saying to be aggressive on the basepaths, you gotta try your best to keep this at a low priority. The last thing the Sox need is rallies being killed by being thrown out on the bases.

Also...do NOT keep it close...get a big lead early, and keep it. The Angels are pesky as hell...but pesky as hell doesn't do a damn thing when you're down by 7 in the 8th.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
This is the most even possible matchup we could have. They compare best to us, average to below average offense that manages timely hits, very good starting pitching and a great bullpen.

These teams are really mirror images of each other, just look at the leadoff hitters and it's amazing how close those guys numbers are to each others. That all being said I wouldn't trade our pitching staff for their's. This is going to be a great, great series. No doubt in my mind.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
These teams are really mirror images of each other, just look at the leadoff hitters and it's amazing how close those guys numbers are to each others.  That all being said I wouldn't trade our pitching staff for their's.  This is going to be a great, great series.  No doubt in my mind.

our starters cant let us fall too far behind. if we are down 3 after 5 or 6 innings, their bullpen is sick. escobar/shields/krod is dynamite on righties. keep em close, get the early lead. For count especially hes gotta keep chone of the bases. Dont let vladdy beat you

Win at home just like last series. I'll put it this way, if the Sox lose game 1 I bet they lose the series. This is a crucial game and the Angels will be tired and possibibly hungover. It may not show at the start of the game, but by the end it should. If you can't beat them tomorrow, I can't imagine winning.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
Can we hit their pitching? How would yu rate our starters vs. theirs??

At this point, our starters are superior in talent and depth. OUr rotation is rested and set up exactly how we want it. JC is hot at the right time, and we have the most balanced staff. Our bullpen is rested and El Duque is a safety if one of the starters falters. Bobby Jenks is much more effective when rested.

Anaheim has an injury to their #1 starter, their #2 just threw yesterday, and their #3 is sick. Their #4 just pitched a game tonight. Their bullpen is solid in the 8th and 9th innings, but we have hit their bullpen at times.

Edited by RockRaines

Just throw Vlad junk pitches around the plate... If he swings at them more likely than not he will make an out and if he hits it he clearly deserved it lol... but dont let him beat us and we should be able to shutdown their offense.

Hopefully that fastball Gordon threw at Bengie Molina's arm will keep him from hurting us.

Game 3 and Garland is the key. If we emerge from Chicago 0-2, we're dead anyways, but desperately need a quality start. If we're 1-1, Garland pitching well gives us back home field advantage. If we're 2-0, Garland pitching well basically gives us the series.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
Game 3 and Garland is the key.  If we emerge from Chicago 0-2, we're dead anyways, but desperately need a quality start.  If we're 1-1, Garland pitching well gives us back home field advantage.  If we're 2-0, Garland pitching well basically gives us the series.

Garland starts game 4.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 06:09 AM)
Garland starts game 4.

Everything ive seen and heard has Garland going game 3.... good thing 2 because Freddy is a good pitcher but idonno if its just me but it always seems like he can never hold a lead... you give him it than the next inning or 2 he lets the other team tie.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
Everything ive seen and heard has Garland going game 3.... good thing 2 because Freddy is a good pitcher but idonno if its just me but it always seems like he can never hold a lead... you give him it than the next inning or 2 he lets the other team tie.

I had heard it the other way around. I could be wrong.