Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
Illinois is far from out of it in the big 10.  They've given themselves an uphill climb but in the last few weeks I think it's been proven that no one wants to win this conference and there is no such thing as a gimmie game either.

They have a decent schedule too. IU and Michigan are down and they get Iowa (who doesn't play all the grand on the road) at home. NU at home should be a lock and I don't see a chance in hell that they knock off the Spartans in East Lansing.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
They still have both but at this point I'd rather play IU than Minny.

I'm with you on that. And Michigan is in a funk since losing its guys. Although it took a ridiculous shooting performance from the Buckeyes to beat em.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2329109

Sutton out for season; reportedly cited with DUI

Stillwater police said Monday that Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton was cited with driving under the influence after a Friday traffic accident, a Tulsa newspaper reported.

Unrelated to the report, the university announced Monday that Sutton had asked to take a leave of absence for the remainder of the season.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 02:25 AM)
I'm with you on that.  And Michigan is in a funk since losing its guys.  Although it took a ridiculous shooting performance from the Buckeyes to beat em.

If they get one or both of Abram and Harris back, they're a dangerous team again. Michigan was up 3 on OSU and already without Abram before Harris hurt his ankle. Harris would be more important for them, and I think he's more likely to come back. I'm not sure on that though, since it seems to be hard to get decent injury info on college sports unless they are out for the year. If they have to play the rest of the year without them though, they could really take a dive. Sims is very inconsistent with his production, and Horton's play seems to suffer when he forces things.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
Eddie Sutton is just a figurehead at this point. His son is really doing the coaching.

I hope Sean cannot figure out what's going on when my jayhawks invade Gallagher-Iba.

Have the Cowboys been able to figure out anybody this year? Except KState on the road?

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
Im excited to see if Oden is a Robert Traylor or an Emeka Okafor type.

Is this a joke? Or is this how you portray players that don't commit to Kansas.

How do you compare a 7 foot manchild in Oden to a 6'6 ball of goo the Tractor Traylor?

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
Is this a joke? Or is this how you portray players that don't commit to Kansas.

How do you compare a 7 foot manchild in Oden to a 6'6 ball of goo the Tractor Traylor?

I have never seen the kid play. I dont know if hes just a low post prescence who stand there like traylor, or is he active round the low post like okafor.

Apparently during today's Big Ten teleconference, Davis made some pretty telling statements. He's basically accpeting the end's near for him at Bloomington. He was saying something to the effect that we need one of our own, someone that has played at IU that can be embraced to become coach.

That's not really what we want/need, but this season can't end sooner. What a mess.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
Apparently during today's Big Ten teleconference, Davis made some pretty telling statements.  He's basically accpeting the end's near for him at Bloomington.  He was saying something to the effect that we need one of our own, someone that has played at IU that can be embraced to become coach.

I knew it wouldn't be long before Dane Fife got promoted.

I would have put that in green...but I wouldn't be terrifically surprised if it happened.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
I knew it wouldn't be long before Dane Fife got promoted.

I would have put that in green...but I wouldn't be terrifically surprised if it happened.

Ha Fife's got his own problems. I really don't want a former player here. We can do better.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
Can you explain why??

Because he is dominating HS like no one has since Shaq.

Does this look like a Tractor Traylor type of body or does this look like an active rebounder. You decide.

Dunking 1

Dunking 2

Swatting the ball

Rebounding

More Swatting

Oden is a man-child. Robert Traylor wont even be able to hold this kids jock.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
Because he is dominating HS like no one has since Shaq. 

Does this look like a Tractor Traylor type of body or does this look like an active rebounder.  You decide.

Dunking 1

Dunking 2

Swatting the ball

Rebounding

More Swatting

Oden is a man-child.  Robert Traylor wont even be able to hold this kids jock.

point well taken...well lets hope the bulls suck next year too.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
Can you explain why??

no high school player has a better all-around game at this stage that i've seen.

defensively, he is a huge presence. a lot of high school kids just rely on their athleticism or size, but oden is fundamentally sound. he doesn't leave his feet on shot fakes and he moves his feet very well when he's guarding guys outside. imo, he would be the best defensive big man in college basketball right now.

offensively, he has very good post moves and is again, sound fundamentally. works well with both had and has a nice touch around the basket. i think he could struggle a little bit at the beginning of his college career dealing with zone defenses featuring bigger body players, but what he will have working in his favor next year is working with the best point guard in the big ten (jamar butler). i've seen oden play three times (twice on television and once over the summer) and hasn't seen him take his game outside that offense (17-foot jumper). not saying he doesn't have that in his repertoire, but i personally haven't seen it.

Well, since as an ISU fan, I'm looking ahead to next year, I know the Bucks get Oden and his teammate, but do they lose the likes of Foster and Dials? IMO, Ja'kel Foster is still quite underrated.

Hopefully Oden hasn't gelled yet when the Clones come to Columbus.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
Well, since as an ISU fan, I'm looking ahead to next year, I know the Bucks get Oden and his teammate, but do they lose the likes of Foster and Dials? IMO, Ja'kel Foster is still quite underrated.

Hopefully Oden hasn't gelled yet when the Clones come to Columbus.

ohio state will graduate foster, dials, matt sylvester and j.j. sullinger.

key returners will be jamar butler, ivan harris and ron lewis

imo, their starting line-up looks like this next year:

C: greg oden

PF: harris or othella hunter (?) (juco kid)

SF: daequan cook (freshman)

SG: lewis

PG: butler

Nice to see Foster gone. I hope for the love of God that one of the Iowa State big men finds a pair of testicles next year. Both starting post positions will be up for grabs. No one will hang with Oden, but hopefully the guard play steps up.

Week 15 ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. Connecticut (22) 22-1 759

2. Duke (8) 23-1 749

3. Memphis (1) 22-2 710

4. Villanova 19-2 678

5. Gonzaga 20-3 632

6. Texas 21-3 627

7. Florida 21-3 539

8. George Washington 20-1 534

9. Pittsburgh 19-3 512

10. Tennessee 18-3 504

11. West Virginia 18-5 445

12. Ohio State 18-3 436

13. Illinois 20-4 377

14. UCLA 20-5 348

15. Boston College 19-5 326

16. Michigan State 18-6 301

17. Georgetown 17-5 269

18. N.C. State 19-5 260

19. Oklahoma 16-5 239

20. Iowa 19-6 205

21. Washington 18-5 139

22. Kansas 17-6 118

23. North Carolina 15-6 100

24. Bucknell 20-3 50

25. LSU 16-7 42

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

UAB 24, California 22, Colorado 22, George Mason 22, Northern Iowa 20,

Michigan 14, Wisconsin 12, Nevada 9, Indiana 9, Iona 4, Murray State 3,

Wichita State 3, San Diego State 2, Western Kentucky 2, Alabama 2, Akron 1,

Creighton 1, Florida State 1, UTEP 1, Southern Illinois 1, NC Wilmington 1.

DROPPED FROM RANKINGS

Indiana 21, Michigan 22, Colorado 25.