Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://iuhoosiers.collegesports.com/sports.../103005aaa.html

Hoosiers Tabbed Third, White Preseason All-Big Ten

Oct. 30, 2005

PARK RIDGE, Ill. - The Indiana men's basketball team was picked to finish third in the Big Ten by the conference media during the 2005-06 season. The media members visiting the Big Ten Basketball Media Day voted on the preseason conference standings as well as the preseason first team All-Big Ten. Sophomore forward D.J. White was one of those five players honored by the conference media as a preseason all-conference selection.

"It is an honor for our team and D.J. to be recognized by the conference media," Indiana head coach Mike Davis said. "At the same time, we understand that we have work to do. One of our goals is to win the Big Ten Championship and that is what we will strive for."

Michigan State, one of two league teams to reach the Final Four last season, was named the preseason Big Ten favorite for the 2005-06 campaign. Defending Big Ten Champion and 2005 Final Four participant Illinois was selected second in the preseason media poll.

Along with White, Illinois guard Dee Brown, Michigan State center Paul Davis, Minnesota guard/forward Vincent Grier and Wisconsin forward Alando Tucker were selected as preseason first team All-Big Ten honorees. The media also distinguished Brown as the favorite for the Big Ten Player of the Year honor, making him the sixth straight Illini player to earn the preseason recognition.

White is the Hoosiers' top returning scorer and rebounder from a season ago. The 6-9, 230-pound forward averaged 13.3 points and 4.9 rebounds per contest in his rookie campaign. He was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2004-05, leading conference freshman in scoring, rebounding and block shots. White topped the Hoosier freshman record for blocks in a season with 64, bettering a mark established by long-time NBA player Alan Henderson.

The Hoosiers were one of four Big Ten teams in the preseason ESPN/USA Today Coaches' Poll, released on Friday, Oct. 28. Indiana is ranked 22nd in the preseason poll. The other three Big Ten schools ranked in the top 25 are Michigan State (sixth), Illinois (17th) and Iowa (20th). Duke, a Hoosier opponent on Nov. 30 as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in Assembly Hall, is the preseason No. 1 earning 28 of 31 first-place votes.

IU returns four starters from a season ago. Along with White, sophomore forward Robert Vaden, sophomore guard A.J. Ratliff and senior guard Marshall Strickland return after starting in 2004-05. Vaden returns as the team's second-leading scorer and rebounder, with averages of 10.2 points and 4.3 boards per contest. Ratliff led the team in three-point percentage (.436), while Strickland was the team-leader in assists per game (3.4). The Hoosiers will be hampered a bit at the start of the season with Ratliff out six weeks due to a thumb injury.

Additionally, transfers Lewis Monroe and Marco Killingsworth are fifth-year seniors who display leadership and maturity. Killingsworth, a 6-8, 265-pound forward, joins White to form one of the premier frontcourts in the nation. The Montgomery, Ala., native is coming off the Big Ten Foreign Tour where he led the team with 15.2 points and 7.4 rebounds per contest. He became only the third Indiana player in Tour annals to lead the squad in scoring after tallying double figures in all five contests to post a team-best 76 points (1991 - Greg Graham, 19.0 and 1992 - Matt Nover, 17.3). Monroe was a three-year starter at Auburn and was the floor general in the Tigers' 2003 Sweet 16 appearance.

Other returnees include sophomore James Hardy, senior Sean Kline and juniors Errek Suhr and Roderick Wilmont, each of whom averaged at least seven minutes per contest a year ago. Newcomers to this year's team include Earl Calloway, a JUCO All-American at Georgia Perimeter in 2005, and true freshmen Ben Allen, Cem Dinc and Joey Shaw. Allen (Australian U-21 National Team) and Dinc (Turkey National Team) have both competed in international events, while also competing against some of the best players in the world. Shaw, a native of Pheonix, Ariz., is considered by many as one of the top shooting guards in western region.

Indiana will open the exhibition portion of the 2005-06 schedule at home against St. Joseph's. The game is set for 8 p.m. on Nov. 4. Indiana also will host Indianapolis on Nov. 10 at 8 p.m., as part of the exhibition slate. The Hoosiers open the regular season on Friday, Nov. 18, in the friendly confines of Assembly Hall against Nicholls State. The game will be televised on ESPN-Plus at 6 p.m., check your local listing for details. Every Hoosier game can be heard on the IU Radio Network with Don Fischer (play-by-play), Todd Leary (analysis) and Joe Smith (pre game, halftime and post game) on the call.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-illbk04.html

Freshman shoots into picture for Illini

November 4, 2005

BY HERB GOULD Staff Reporter Advertisement

CHAMPAIGN -- It's a little early to say a star is born. But it's not too early to say Jamar Smith can shoot.

The true freshman from Peoria Richwoods scored 16 points on 6-of-9 shooting Thursday to lead Illinois past Division III powerhouse Illinois Wesleyan 82-60 in the Illini's exhibition opener.

"It was fun,'' the 6-3 shooting guard said. "Everybody gave me a lot of confidence, which made me feel comfortable.''

"He shot the ball,'' said Dee Brown, unsurprised. ''That's his job. He came out and did his job.''

Coach Bruce Weber also was encouraged to see Smith continue the hot shooting he shows in practice.

"All year, he's been the guy,'' Weber said. "It was a gut-check game, and the kid stepped up and made some shots. That's not easy to do. I'm really excited about him.''

ILLINOIS 82

ILL. WESLEYAN 60

So was Wesleyan coach Scott Trost.

"I don't see how [Weber] is going to be able to keep him out of the lineup,'' Trost said.

With Deron Williams, Luther Head and Roger Powell gone from last season's magical 37-2 campaign, though, Illinois has plenty of questions.

Weber, who started the same five players in all 39 games last season, gave his first answer by starting redshirt sophomore Brian Randle and juniors Rich McBride and Warren Carter along with returnees Brown (eight points, 0-for-6 on three-pointers, seven assists) and James Augustine (15 points, three rebounds).

At the start of the second half, Smith and Shaun Pruitt -- who also did some good all-around work, particularly on defense in the paint -- were in the lineup with Brown, Augustine and McBride.

Weber readily acknowledges that he might not settle on a regular starting five until Christmas. But he also made it clear he's going to give his most effective youngsters more opportunities.

Smith, who might be Illinois' best pure shooter, knocked down three of his four first-half shots. In the second half, he drained a pair of three-pointers as Illinois, after being tied 41-41 with the determined Titans, went on a 17-5 run for a 58-46 lead.

Pruitt, a 6-10 sophomore from West Aurora who looked a little lost last season, seems to have found himself. He had eight points, seven rebounds and two blocked shots.

"Shaun has made a lot of progress,'' Weber said. "It's starting to click.''

Augustine appreciated the inside help.

"Shaun went in and rebounded hard, and he didn't force any shots,'' Augustine said. "He's doing the little things that we need.''

I was already really excited about Jamar, and this just adds to it. Any guy that hits 10 3 pointers in a single playoff game clearly can shoot the lights out, and hopefully he can help out right away this year, as with Deron and Luther gone, we could use a long distance shooter.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-illbk04.html

I was already really excited about Jamar, and this just adds to it.  Any guy that hits 10 3 pointers in a single playoff game clearly can shoot the lights out, and hopefully he can help out right away this year, as with Deron and Luther gone, we could use a long distance shooter.

both jamar and chester frazier were really impressive last night. Both so athletic and seem to have good basketball instincts.

Both those freshmen are gonna get a ton of minutes this year.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
both jamar and chester frazier were really impressive last night.  Both so athletic and seem to have good basketball instincts.

Both those freshmen are gonna get a ton of minutes this year.

i was encouraged to read that both of these guys played well, particularly since neither were particularly high-rated prospects, and both have been used to support the old "bruce weber can't recruit" argument. if these guys turn out to be solid contributors this year, people might have to give credit where it's due.

that said, it was an exhibition game against illinois wesleyan. i will withhold my excitement until they play well against some legitimate D1 teams.

I think the lineup could easily be Dee, Augie, Smith, Pruitt, Randle/McBride.

Smith was obviously very impressive last night. Pruitt looked real good as well. Carter got the start over him 'to show him some love'. But Carter looked awful. I thought Frazier was decent. Jackson actually looked pretty good as well, he was always around the hoop and found the ball for some easy buckets.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
i was encouraged to read that both of these guys played well, particularly since neither were particularly high-rated prospects, and both have been used to support the old "bruce weber can't recruit" argument. if these guys turn out to be solid contributors this year, people might have to give credit where it's due.

that said, it was an exhibition game against illinois wesleyan. i will withhold my excitement until they play well against some legitimate D1 teams.

To be fair the Weber can't recruit argument is mostly the fact that he hasn't landed highly ranked guys. The guys he has brought in do look like players and how the gurus missed on Jamar is beyond my comprehension. When he puts on some muscle and learns to play defense we have something very special. As for Chester I like him because he plays tough D and handles the ball well, although he is pretty limited offensively at this point, but for a backup PG he is fine.

Edit: Boy do I wish that McBride could actually get healthy. I'm starting to think he is going to have feet problems his entire career at UI.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
To be fair the Weber can't recruit argument is mostly the fact that he hasn't landed highly ranked guys.  The guys he has brought in do look like players and how the gurus missed on Jamar is beyond my comprehension.  When he puts on some muscle and learns to play defense we have something very special.  As for Chester I like him because he plays tough D and handles the ball well, although he is pretty limited offensively at this point, but for a backup PG he is fine.

that is a good point. i guess it just gets frustrating to see so much stock placed in the opinions of internet "gurus" who compile these rankings. i am not saying they are meaningless, with a widespread and national pool of players to rank, accuracy is a question, imo.

Wisconsin never gets any recruitment recognition and they have done consistently well for the last 5+ years.

In my opinion, Illinois will never be part of the UNC, Duke, etc of the worlds where each year they can go out and get the best talent. They will have to beat teams with a better system and players who understand how to win in a system.

I personally think Illinois long term would have more consistent success that way.

Right now NCAA basketball is about to enter a new frontier with players having to stay a mandatory amount of time. Part of me feels that teams with players who are just doing their time, will have more problems than teams who have players who are going to stay 3-4 years.

SB

Right now NCAA basketball is about to enter a new frontier with players having to stay a mandatory amount of time. Part of me feels that teams with players who are just doing their time, will have more problems than teams who have players who are going to stay 3-4 years.

I think you have to find a nice balance between the two if you are going to stick with the elite in basketball. You have to have a nice base of 3-4 year players, and then go out and get you some elite talent that will only stay for 1-2 years, once the superstars are gone, the 3-4 year players will be seasoned enough that they can keep the program going at a high level.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
The biggest concern with Jamar is defense and size.  He has as polished an offensive game as i've ever seen from an incoming freshman out of HS, but he's skinny as a rail and not a great defender, so I worry about if he can handle the punishment he will surely get in the big 10.

the good thing about that is he can easily add those things through a weight training program and coaching from one of the better defensive coaches out there in weber. his offensive gift cannot be taught.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
the good thing about that is he can easily add those things through a weight training program and coaching from one of the better defensive coaches out there in weber. his offensive gift cannot be taught.

Oh I definitely agree. Those things are concerns this year and into next year, but this guy could be an all around STAR as an upperclassmen.

ISU starts Saturday vs. EA Sports.

ISU could feasibly start out 13-0 with their schedule. The toughest teams in the Rainbow Classic are Oregon State and Hawaii. Oregon State would be a second round matchup and Hawaii is on the other side of the bracket.

Northern Iowa at Iowa State should attract some attention so people can gauge both teams.

Iowa at Iowa State. Dear God, if Adam Haluska doesn't leave deaf, something will be wrong. There was a fair amount of hate for Raef LaFrentz after leaving Iowa for the Jayhawks. There was twice that amount of hate for Kirk Hinrich (and a lesser extent for Nick Collison) after Hinrich committed to Iowa State but left after Tim Floyd left. Now there's Haluska, who played/started at ISU for a year before saying he wouldn't transfer after NattyLite-gate. Then he did. This will be his only visit to Hilton. There will be a sellout and the great majority will be in his head the whole f***ing time.

Ohio State at Iowa State (Des Moines) should be interesting. I'd feel more comfortable if it was at Hilton. I suggest Big Ten fans tune in to this one.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
ISU starts Saturday vs. EA Sports.

ISU could feasibly start out 13-0 with their schedule. The toughest teams in the Rainbow Classic are Oregon State and Hawaii. Oregon State would be a second round matchup and Hawaii is on the other side of the bracket.

Northern Iowa at Iowa State should attract some attention so people can gauge both teams.

Iowa at Iowa State. Dear God, if Adam Haluska doesn't leave deaf, something will be wrong. There was a fair amount of hate for Raef LaFrentz after leaving Iowa for the Jayhawks. There was twice that amount of hate for Kirk Hinrich (and a lesser extent for Nick Collison) after Hinrich committed to Iowa State but left after Tim Floyd left. Now there's Haluska, who played/started at ISU for a year before saying he wouldn't transfer after NattyLite-gate. Then he did. This will be his only visit to Hilton. There will be a sellout and the great majority will be in his head the whole f***ing time.

Ohio State at Iowa State (Des Moines) should be interesting. I'd feel more comfortable if it was at Hilton. I suggest Big Ten fans tune in to this one.

Haluska will be one of the keys to the Hawkeyes season. He's quite a talent and I can honestly say this is the Hawks most talented team since the Reggie Evans/Luke Recker squad that could of made some serious noise if Recker didn't end up really busting up his knee.

Problem is Iowa always seems to underachieve and it kills me to get excited about them. But top to bottom this is about as good of a team as they've had since they lost to Uconn in the sweet sixteen 5 or 6 years ago (maybe it was longer).

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
SIU picked to finish 3rd in the MVC behind Northern Iowa and Creighton.

They were picked to finish almost last last year and we know what went down.

Jamal Tatum named to preseason all conference team.

Bryan Mullins :notworthy

IU's going to be so deep this year. It's ridiculous. IU won tonight 93-65. Killingworth and Vaden both dropped 17 in the starting lineup.

DJ didn't play the 2nd half though; he did come back out towards the end of the game in street clothes. It's going to be interesting to see what comes of that. :unsure:

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 03:25 AM)
UNC wins their first exhibition game against Fayeteville State 94-58. Hansbrough led the team with 26 points and 8 boards. Freshmen look good, but I'm still not concincing myself we can challenge for a tourney berth yet.

Any word on how Frasor did?