Rowand baserunning

Texsox

On AJ's long fly bal to left, where should A-Row have been?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. On AJ's long fly bal to left, where should A-Row have been?

• Tagging up
    • 1/2 way to second
    • On second
    • On his dirt bike

The announcers made a big deal about it, he explained with the height of the ball, thought it would either be caught or a home run so he planned on tagging up. The announcer felt with the body position of Burk in left, Rowand should have been on second and possibly scored when the ball caromed off the wall.

you also have to remember that rock raines is supposed to be telling him what to do the whole time. the fact that before it was caught he put his head down and ran back may have something to do with what rock said. dont get me wrong, i love rock raines. its just a possibility.

whether rock had anyhting to do with it or not, i still dont think rowand royally f***ed up or anything.

Aaron was probably looking at the ball more than at Burke. They didn't do a split screen, but if they had, I bet that it was precisely when Rowand was retreating to tag that Burke looked helpless out there.

Looked like a completely bonehead play, however, until they had the mike on Aaron and he explained why he did what he did to Ozzie. In a 1-0 game, getting into scoring position on a fly ball out to left field could be a huge play. And, as he said, because the ball was hit so high, he thought it would either be caught or be a HR.

I like the play because Aaron was erring on the side of aggresion. Most players go halfway and retreat to first after the ball is caught. Instead Aaron was making sure that what he thought was going to be an out, was going to be productive. He was makings sure that he was going to get into second base and into scoring position come hell or high water. It is a split second judgement call that has to be made quickly, and as one of the best CFs in the game today, I trust his judgement on if he thinks an OF can get to a ball or not.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
I like the play because Aaron was erring on the side of aggresion.  Most players go halfway and retreat to first after the ball is caught.  Instead Aaron was making sure that what he thought was going to be an out, was going to be productive.  He was makings sure that he was going to get into second base and into scoring position come hell or high water.  It is a split second judgement call that has to be made quickly, and as one of the best CFs in the game today, I trust his judgement on if he thinks an OF can get to a ball or not.

I liked the play also. I see how it can go either way, but I don't see how all the analysts were so sure to say Aaron was wrong. If that ball was caught, him tagging there would have been a huge play. I was saying last night. His thinking was no matter what I am getting into scoring postion on this play. If he catches it, he is gettin there, if he drops it he is gettin there, if it goes yard...then who gives a s***. I thought it was a good play....

In the second inning, Arow had that play on the AJ flyball where he went and tagged up, but the ball went off the wall and runners end up on 1st and 2nd instead of 2nd and 3rd. I understand the rationale for why it was a mistake, but if Burke catches that ball, Rowand looks brilliant for getting himself into scoring position by tagging up. I'm just curious as to what the consensus on this board is from a baseball perspective. Anyways, since I need my baseball fix for the day, I was hoping to inspire some debate on the subject.

My apologies if this was discussed in the game thread last night and I am rehashing old news.

I'm sure it was discussed in the game thread, but as far as I could tell, it would have taken a miracle play for Burke to catch that ball. ARow should at least have had a foot on 2nd if it was caught...especially out in left field where there'd have to be a relay to get the ball to 1b.

Looking at it, he did what he was supposed to do by going half way. Thought it was going to be caught, so he did the right thing by going to tag up because of the ball tailing away from the fielder and that it was going to be a tough leaping catch. Just because the fielder messed up, shouldn't put any blame on the runner. He was trying to get into scoring position. I mean if that was a gapper, then he would have been crazy, but where it was hit and how the fielder butchered that play it was correct.

That would be like reaming Crede for getting thrown out when Biggio dropped that pop up in short right field. Joe did the right thing, but the fielder screwed up.

And I disagree that it would have been a "miracle catch". The OF screwed up by drifting with the ball instead of running to a spot, locating and then trying to catch the ball. But after all is said and done WE WON and it doesn't matter.

Edited by SAVVY18

You have to watch the outfielder, not the ball. As Burke continued to run full speed at the wall, Rowand should have been inching more and more to 2nd, and by the time Burke reached the wall, he should have been standing on 2nd base. At that point, if the ball drops, he's on 3rd, and if it's caught, he won't be doubled off because Burke just ran into the wall.

Rowand's explanation was not correct either. Saying the ball was "hit so high" that he figured it was gone or caught at the wall doesn't take into account how the outfielder plays the ball. Burke will let you know if the ball is going to be caught easily. Whether or not an outfielder should make that play is irrelevant to me. He has to watch Burke, and as the play developed, Burke looked more and more out of control. It's not like he was standing under it and then dropped it. I don't see how Rowand ran back to first before the ball even came down, as Burke looked really out of control out there.

Burke is an infielder playign the outfield. I think that is important to note. In addition, I hope Garner puts Burke in center again. Difficult park to be out of place in center. It might not burn you if you do it once or twice but I htink it might hurt them over the next three games. I'd stick with Tavares in Center. Its too important of a position to treat for offense only.

i say he shoulda been on second. theres no way burkes gonna make that catch and EVEN IF he does, you've got plenty of time to get back. at that point moving up to seconds not the biggest issue at hand.

options are:

go to second - if it's caught youre at 1st but IF its not you're at 3rd, possibly home.

i'll take that risk.

he went back to the bag to tag. he thought it was going to be caught. it wasnt. if it were caught then he wouldve had to go back to first. he made the decision that all players on this team have been doing for the entire season & on almost every play the last 3 months. i supported it even if it looked funny not to see him standing on at least 3rd. i think over the course of a season you can really take advantage of deep fly balls. i made comment about this issue when pods didnt tag and go to third in June. i got killed for it on soxtalk. it is just a matter of managerial style. one that i agree with. especially in the WS when 1 run is so crucial. i hope he does it each & every time.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
I'd stick with Tavares in Center. Its too important of a position to treat for offense only.

Taveras is hitting .400(14/35) with 3 doubles, 1 triple, and splits of .432/.543/.975 in the postseason, and is causing the Sox pitchers hell thus far...let alone that fact that he knows what the hell is going on in CF.

No way to you have Burke play, atleast in CF. That would probably be a series losing decision by Phil Garner.