Some Rooney info

IlliniKrush

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

Rooney's departure not assured

Ed Sherman

November 1, 2005

The door is open ever so slightly. Calling it a crack might be an exaggeration.

The odds of John Rooney returning as radio voice of the White Sox are about as long as Ozzie Guillen suddenly going politically correct. This is a huge long shot.

Still, it is worth recounting a lunch date Rooney had with Mitch Rosen, his former agent and the current program director at WSCR-AM 670, during the World Series in Houston last week. The conversation included an interesting twist.

"He asked me, 'Is there any way I would return [to the Sox]?'" Rooney said. "I said, 'Never say never.'"

Rooney then told Rosen to refer any future discussions to his agent, Steve Mandell.

Rosen declined to go into details about the lunch.

"We've been longtime friends," Rosen said. "It was a chance for us to catch up."

It probably won't amount to anything more than that. The Sox and WSCR, which becomes the team's flagship station in 2006, aren't likely to come up with additional cash. And Rooney isn't about to work at a bargain price.

Rooney balked at an offer that included a minimal raise, according to sources. With rights fees going down, the Sox and the station wanted to hold the line on expenses. After 18 years with the Sox, Rooney felt he deserved better.

Rooney has said he isn't bitter, but he did let out his frustration during the wee hours of the Sox clinching victory over Houston. As his colleagues hailed him on WMVP-AM 1000, Rooney said he had been told that anybody could call Sox games.

In other words, Rooney is replaceable. His fans obviously beg to differ.

"I was told, 'Sox fans will listen no matter who's doing the games,'" Rooney said. "That's their prerogative. I feel differently. When you invest this much time with a team, you build up a following and a trust. Vin Scully didn't become Vin Scully in a year or two. It took him 50 years."

Rooney, though, stressed that he isn't angry. He says he has good feelings toward the Sox and Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and partner Eddie Einhorn.

"I'm not a bitter person," Rooney said. "I don't like holding grudges. I had a good run here. Who could be angry about finishing with a World Series win? I had 18 years in Chicago, and most everything was handled professionally. Sometimes, you just don't get your way."

Jumping in

Assuming Rooney is out of the picture, Rosen said WSCR and the Sox will step up their efforts this week to find a new analyst to work with Ed Farmer, who will take over the play-by-play. The candidates include former Sox players Steve Lyons, Ron Kittle and John Cangelosi.

WSCR didn't wait until next year to pump up the volume on the Sox. The station did wall-to-wall programming during the World Series, airing two of its shows live from Houston.

"What a way to kick off a five-year relationship," Rosen said.

WSCR merits a good-timing award for negotiating the deal last spring. The agreement, valued in the $2 million per year range (not $3 million-$3.5 million, as had been previously reported), looks to be a bargain for the station. It's down from the estimated $4.5 million the Sox received from WMVP in 2005 and not nearly as high as it would have been had the deal been done after the World Series.

If Reinsdorf had known he would have his ultimate baseball wish fulfilled, he could have commanded an additional $1 million-$2 million in radio revenue to help pay free agent Paul Konerko.

"The timing was right for us," Rosen said. "When we did the deal, nobody imagined they would win the World Series. We're very fortunate it turned out this way."

Personal tale

Farmer, a graduate of St. Rita High School, has enjoyed many memorable moments in baseball. He recalls striking out nine straight batters at a Catholic League all-star game at the old Comiskey Park.

One of his greatest thrills occurred when the Sox acquired him from Texas for Eric Soderholm in 1979. He went on to save 30 games in 1980, earning a spot on the American League All-Star team.

But he says nothing matches the experience of October 2005.

"This is far greater than anything else," Farmer said. "This is for all my friends in the city, and all Sox fans. Everyone is a part of this."

Farmer is looking forward to becoming the play-by-play announcer next year. He will draw on the lessons he learned from Rooney.

"It's been bittersweet," Farmer said. "We worked together for so long. He taught me how to be a broadcaster. Hopefully somewhere along the way, I taught him a little about the game of baseball."

The wrap-up

According to the Sox's Web site, the 2005 World Series DVD, produced by Major League Baseball, should be available by Thanksgiving. .…Comcast SportsNet will replay its coverage of the Sox victory parade at 7 p.m. Thursday. ... With CBS Sports President Sean McManus also taking over as head of CBS News, Tony Petitti will assume day-to-day duties running the sports division.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as someone who works in the radio industry, let me assure you that those stations dont care. they are run by a ceo in another city (probably dallas or houston) who only is interested in the dollar. they dont care about what fans like. no way they give rooney much less anyone a substantial raise.

This part is a joke.

Rooney balked at an offer that included a minimal raise, according to sources. With rights fees going down, the Sox and the station wanted to hold the line on expenses. After 18 years with the Sox, Rooney felt he deserved better.

Rooney has said he isn't bitter, but he did let out his frustration during the wee hours of the Sox clinching victory over Houston. As his colleagues hailed him on WMVP-AM 1000, Rooney said he had been told that anybody could call Sox games.

In other words, Rooney is replaceable. His fans obviously beg to differ.

"I was told, 'Sox fans will listen no matter who's doing the games,'" Rooney said. "That's their prerogative. I feel differently. When you invest this much time with a team, you build up a following and a trust. Vin Scully didn't become Vin Scully in a year or two. It took him 50 years."

Rooney is right. It does matter to Sox fans who is doing the games.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
I don't listen to the games to hear John Rooney. I've bit my tongue on this for quite a few threads over the weeks. He's ok, don't get me wrong but I think that the ratings would be the same with or without him

Well I can see your point of saying they will probably be the same, if I am in my car or cant get TV broadcast but get AM (when i was livin in michigan) I would be listening to the games either way...but for the people who would rather listen to rooney and farmer then Hawk and DJ i can see them leaving the tv broadcast on now......

I would still listen to most of the games without Rooney, but if I purchased the DirecTV package again next year, I would be far more inclined to head home to hear Hawk & DJ than I would be to stay @ school and use MLB Gameday Audio with rooney than without him.

Either way...I expect he'll have a TV Job with some team before the end of the winter. He's earned it.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:27 AM)
I don't listen to the games to hear John Rooney. I've bit my tongue on this for quite a few threads over the weeks. He's ok, don't get me wrong but I think that the ratings would be the same with or without him

:lolhitting

The guy was voted the best PBP radio man in all of baseball.

The ratings will go down.

And the broadcasts won't be nearly as good without him.

The guy is a legend in broadcasting and whoever gets him is going to be lucky.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:32 AM)
Well I can see your point of saying they will probably be the same, if I am in my car or cant get TV broadcast but get AM (when i was livin in michigan) I would be listening to the games either way...but for the people who would rather listen to rooney and farmer then Hawk and DJ i can see them leaving the tv broadcast on now......

I listened to Rooney and Farmer every game this year either on XM or on Gameday Audio. And I've got the MLB DTV package where I can hear Hawk and DJ some of the time. I will still listen to the radio because I love Farmio, but I may listen to Hawk and DJ some of the time depending on who the replacement is.

QUOTE(Lefty Of Love @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
The best deserve to be paid like it.  Talent so assured doesn't appear often.  Piece of evidence after piece that proves that the Score is a joke.

The radio station doesn't pay the Sox announcers, the team does.

That's why Rooney may still do "Talking Baseball" with Bruce Levine during the season.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)

That's why Rooney may still do "Talking Baseball" with Bruce Levine during the season.

Wrong, the radio station does pay the announcers. They are listed as team employees, but they are paid by the stations.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)

The radio station pays them.

Bruce, sadly, is an AM1000 employee also, as is Bryan.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
Ok...

Seems odd that team employees are paid by another source, but I'll refer to you.

If you read the article closely...

The Sox and WSCR, which becomes the team's flagship station in 2006, aren't likely to come up with additional cash. And Rooney isn't about to work at a bargain price.

Sox could come in and try to offer additional money, but thats not going to happen. They don't do that with anyone else, so it would set a bad precedent. Others would be asking for money from the team as well.

Score pays the bills and its obvious they didn't want to pay Rooney what he is worth.

That is why they moved so quickly to get Farmer locked up as PBP at a more affordable rate.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
The radio station pays them.

Bruce, sadly, is an AM1000 employee also, as is Bryan.

Levine, as far as I know, is done as the Baseball Insider. He said it during one of the playoff games.

Dolgin I couldn't imagine being brought to the Score, but I sure to hell hope he is. He grew on me big time throughout the year, I thought he was fantastic as the season went on. It'd make it a bit easier to lose Rooney if we kept Bryan on the pre and post.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
Levine, as far as I know, is done as the Baseball Insider.  He said it during one of the playoff games. 

Dolgin I couldn't imagine being brought to the Score, but I sure to hell hope he is.  He grew on me big time throughout the year, I thought he was fantastic as the season went on.  It'd make it a bit easier to lose Rooney if we kept Bryan on the pre and post.

Radio would be a better place without Levine on it..

Bryan back would be a good thing I agree. They've had prelim talks but nothing solid at this point.

I wouldn't count John out 100% just yet. As I said in late September there is intent on the Sox part to get involved in some way.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
Bryan back would be a good thing I agree. They've had prelim talks but nothing solid at this point.

That's great news...Nothing more I'd like to hear during the first broadcast from Tucson than...Bring Em Out....NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Score, man up and deliver Dolgin.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Neexxxtttt.....  :ph34r:

I loved that too, but if I can't have Wills, I'll take Bryan.

They better not bring in some cheap newbie from the Score who doesn't know s*** about the Sox or isn't a fan of the team.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 02:27 AM)

I couldnt disagree more. Farmer is terrible as the play by play, and we got a taste during the playoffs and it was bad. It sounded like Monty in Major League "fly ball"....."caught"

Rooney is one of the best radio guys in the league if not the best. He is enjoyable to listen to, and I will be very sad to see him go.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
I couldnt disagree more.  Farmer is terrible as the play by play, and we got a taste during the playoffs and it was bad.  It sounded like Monty in Major League "fly ball"....."caught"

Rooney is one of the best radio guys in the league if not the best.  He is enjoyable to listen to, and I will be very sad to see him go.

Farmer has his good nights and his bad nights.

He is definitely a large step below Rooney.

Ed is good for a couple of innings, but IMO he is better suited as the 2nd man to a good PBP guy, as was Rooney.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
I couldnt disagree more.  Farmer is terrible as the play by play, and we got a taste during the playoffs and it was bad.  It sounded like Monty in Major League "fly ball"....."caught"

Rooney is one of the best radio guys in the league if not the best.  He is enjoyable to listen to, and I will be very sad to see him go.

That's my running joke about Farmer too.

He's duller than paint drying and grass growing.

It's incredible to me that the Score values the talentless Mike North but not the best PBP man in all of baseball, arguably.

Maybe they want the Sox broadcasts to sound as s***ty and bland as the rest of their programming.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:34 AM)
It's incredible to me that the Score values the talentless Mike North but not the best PBP man in all of baseball, arguably.

Maybe they want the Sox broadcasts to sound as s***ty and bland as the rest of their programming.

It's really not a question of his talent. John is/was getting paid a LOT of $$. Sadly, it all boils down to the bottom line. If the $$ isn't there (advertising $$ mainly) they can't pay him. Hopefully the Sox are able to come to some terms with both the Score and John and he sticks around.